1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

2021 Epic Australia Pass $859

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by skiflat, Sep 10, 2020.

1. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

As an newly minted homeowner in NSW I’ll be MOVING interstate in June 2021. Hopefully by October 2021 I’ll be able to move back.
    ;)

2. Jonathan_P

Jonathan_P One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

This year the discounts on lessons were the same as on offer for buy in advance non epic, which was my second bugbear, probably had something to do with the way they released the lessons, demand and shortages of instructors.

Anyway my instructor is really good so he’s worth it:) Next year hopefully it will return to being above what non epic customers are offered.

3. Tom from Melbourne

Tom from Melbourne One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I think that it also applies to private lessons, which I don't think get the early purchase discount.

So could make a big impact if you do private lessons.

skiflat, Chaeron and Jonathan_P like this.
  4. Jonathan_P

Previous years we would get a discount.

Didn’t realise that Private’s are excluded from the discount? That is not clear even now.

skiflat and Chaeron like this.
  5. Tom from Melbourne

Sorry @Jonathan_P, I might be confusing things.

I meant that private lessons the don't get a discount for online or early booking (at least at Falls), so the Epic discount of 20% is still a real discount of 20% (unlike the group lessons which may be 20% off from full price but not 20% from online / early price).

[But I could be completely wrong on that too!]

skiflat and Jonathan_P like this.
  6. Jonathan_P

Ah good point, so with Perisher this year they still gave non epic customers buy in advance discounts this clearly is not the same as Victorian resorts, so it will be a true discount. At some stage as they align the business it maybe the same for NSW.

It use to be up to 25%, maximum I got was 19% in 2019, this year about 13% was the highest.

7. Tom from Melbourne

Yep, resort alignment could be an issue for Vail if it starts to create confusion for its customers, I was surprised at some of the different stuff between Falls and Hotham (e.g. why does Hotham not do first tracks on Mon and Tue during July school holidays?).

Chaeron and Jonathan_P like this.
  8. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Thanks

Oh and I've tried to make sense of the insurance.

Wow is all I can say

Biggest issue is you can't request a refund until October LOL

Secondly the TCs state that if you don't make the final payment around 1st May you simply don't get a pass for the season. Doubt they will send the debt collectors after you.

Worst case they blacklist your name I guess.... but easy enough to sign up again IMO

9. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

can't blame them in some ways. I won't get a refund till Dec for an MSO concert that was cancelled ages ago. Rules for Vic government relief for accommodation businesses meant that you got compensation if you didn't refund people until it was impossible for them to come. If you gave them their money back when it was obvious that they couldn't be expected to come, you got nada.

if someone insures a single week in July, can't come then but later decides that they will come in September, it's probably best that you kept all the options on the table

10. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Perisher child tickets in 2020 are for 5-14 years old with no secondary student ticket option unlike the Epic pass. With the STUDENT (primary and secondary) Epic pass at $489 that would be less than 4 days of adult tickets in 2021 for my older high school kids were we to go to Perisher in 2021. Assuming that Melbournians can make the trip by then.
    Hotham and Falls had child tickets up to 17 years old last year and I think they had the same this year ?? so it would be about 6 or 7 days to beak even with an Epic student pass, or more like 8 or 9 if midweek "ski 3 pay 2" deals were offered again in 2021 and as long as Hotham and Falls still have child tickets up to 17 years old.

skiflat likes this.
  11. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

The Epic kids pass is a good deal - the flexibility of being able to go whenever is an unstated value in the pass.

12. Goski

Especially if a few days are used at Perisher. Thinking we do our family week skiing Perisher next year plus a few weekends at Falls and Hotham. That would get good value from a pass per adult x2 and per child x2. How many days the kids will get is a bit dependent on when SACs are due and exams are on for their Yr11 VCE subjects and particularly for the one Yr12 VCE subject both are doing. All study and no skiing makes for a duller year so we will try to get the kids up for 8+ lift days next year.

Chaeron likes this.
  13. Goski

And I'll nominate Hotham as the preferred resort in case of more closures next season.

Chaeron likes this.
  14. Chaeron

I reckon Vail would close Hotham before it closed Falls, and if it could choose to keep only one Victorian resort open it would pick Falls over Hotham - more revenue, and easier to manage.

Vail got lucky this year with the way state closures worked out.

skiflat likes this.
  15. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

16. Chaeron

I normally ski Falls as the intermediate terrain suited us better while my kids were learning to ski, but now they outdo me. I’ve got my Epic pass and my Falls resort entry pass from 2020 has been transferred to 2021. I ski about 30 days in a good season, about 10 back country.

With Epic I’ve now gone across to ski Perisher and the main range too.

So the question is - at what point do I start thinking about the All resorts entry pass and ski more than a few days at Hotham?

@Hermannator

17. Jonathan_P

Now $899, $40 price rise, still good value:)

Be interested to see how many they have sold, reading the various threads, they seem to a have new customers in NSW from the other resorts, with forum members switching over (depends if this is representative of general population) hopefully they can manage this nicely without impacting the existing customer base should restrictions need to be put in place.

Lady Penelope likes this.
  18. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I've decided not to grab an Epic pass for 2021.

Mr 4 will be Mr 5 next year, meaning that he will need to have his own lift pass. I don't think that it's likely that I will be able to get more than a week of snow time in, but if that's a possibility I am happy to wear the slight increase in pass price between now and close of sales next year.

I may even end up looking at going to The Other Place with a Mountain Collective pass. :O

Jonathan_P and skiflat like this.
  19. nitroaddict

nitroaddict First Runs

Seems like an unusually high price rice this year. Wonder when the next price rise will come?

Also, for a Sydneysider, does anyone know what the best epic coverage option is, assuming we will be heading down throughout the season?

20. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Yeah I didn't get one for the 6 year old..

They will have some some of lift lesson combo and she probably won't get more than 8 days of skiing in.

I should get 20 or so in but that is Rona dependent. Sadly, now, I think next ski season in Aus may still be without a vaccine ....

Jonathan_P likes this.
  21. currawong

do you always ski at one resort? then make it your choice.

Is it much more important that you can ski in a particular week, with not much flexibility to change? could you get your money's worth if you couldn't ski that week. If that 1 week is really important, protect it. Otherwise go for core season. IMHO

From the Epic Coverage FAQs

If you plan to use your pass throughout the 2021 Australian season and would like to receive a refund based on the total portion of the 2021 season that is lost due to qualifying resort closures, you can choose the “Core Season” preference. If there is a qualifying resort closure of 7+ consecutive days between 26 June, 2021 and 12 September, 2021, your refund will be:

By choosing “Core Season,” your refund will be the percentage of the 2021 Australian season lost to a qualifying resort closure between 26 June, 2021 to 12 September, 2021 less any days you ski while your selected resorts(s), i.e., Primary Resort (or All Resorts) is closed. ​

Jonathan_P likes this.
  22. currawong

Also note that the border restrictions provision gives them lots of wriggle room. They could be generous, or mean. AIUI this year they were generous. May or may not be true next year

Stay-at Home Order. You are unable to use your pass during the applicable Core Season because the municipality, county, state, province, or country in which your Permanent Residence is located is subject to a “quarantine,” “stay-at-home,” “shelter-in-place” or other comparable mandatory governmental order lasting thirty (30) or more consecutive days. Your “Permanent Residence” refers to your fixed, permanent and principal home for legal and tax purposes.

So a state gov strongly advising against travel, and even requiring quarantine, may not be sufficient to claim a refund. Also if a mandatory order lasts less than 30 days

23. Goski

I agree that Vail are more likely to close Falls over Hotham so that's why I think the best option is to elect Hotham as our primary resort to get better refund options. I still want to get to Falls next year and have the family ski on their intermediate terrain earlier in the season before visits to Hotham and Perisher. Makes sense to have the longer 2021 trip to Perisher with the longer travel time plus once the annual parks pass is purchased, we may as well use it for 5+ days of skiing. Then, depending on what I'm doing with work, head back myself or preferably with a mate or two to camp at Island Bend and ski a few more days on lifts and do a couple of lift-assisted backcountry days on the Main Range.

24. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Needs input values - how much is a FC resort entry? How much is the all-resorts?
    Suggest that if more than about 3 days at Hothaido the all-resorts will pay off?

Chaeron likes this.
  25. Goski

I did get clarification from Vail that any bring invite from any pass type (Adult, Senior, Student) can be used for a discount on Adult or Senior or Child lift passes. Ultimately I bought passes for our two adults and our two teenagers. It gives us more incentive to go skiing and if reservations are needed again we hopefully can get enough for the family. Too hard to buy tickets or miss out then scramble for reservations and maybe miss out. We'll have 24 discount invites to use for friends who don't have Epic passes. Note: need to clarify if using those invites would reduce potential COVID refunds.

26. Goski

Especially if you can head up sometimes with a ski buddy or two or three who can subsidise your pass cost. I'd expect to chip in for fuel (of course) and also for gate entry if taken up by an entry pass holder.

Hermannator, Jonathan_P and Chaeron like this.
  27. Goski

We're all rolling the dice for 2021. Lots of unknowns and what if scenarios. Just have to roll along and see what happens.

28. currawong

I'm not trying to scare people off. Just worth reading the fine print to understand what epic coverage can be relied on for and what financial risks there are. I'm rolling the dice too.

Jonathan_P, Chaeron and Goski like this.
  29. nitroaddict

nitroaddict First Runs

I'm remaining optimistic. Reports say vaccine should be out and about early next year. We've also had a whole ski season during COVID and it did relatively well (in Perisher at least).

Ted Harper, Jonathan_P and Chaeron like this.
  30. Jonathan_P

Luckily Miss 4 has just turned 4 so I have another year on the 4 and under season pass.

Will once she turns 5 have to upgrade to epic student pass which is a big jump from $50 I paid this year.

She managed 10 days this season and still
    wanted more by then it was deep into spring and conditions not ideal.

Had an interesting thought whilst I was typing this I wonder how the determine 4 and under her birthday is just before end of season, sent off an email to ask, answer may require more money to be spent:(

nezumi and Chaeron like this.
  31. Chaeron

FC resort entry - cost me about $330 and the all resorts is a top up to about $600 at 2019 prices - so would cost me about $270.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  32. Goski

I can't see border closures continuing much longer. If we're still in restrictions into next year we'll have shifted mindsets more to the "new normal" and the national and state economies will need movement between the states to keep the surviving business running. I'm optimistic too that we will have a vaccine before next winter.

MarkV likes this.
  33. Goski

About 5 days entry for Hotham.

Hermannator and Chaeron like this.
  34. Goski

Think it's the age when the season starts that counts. Unfortunately my twins were due in July but were born prematurely in early June, days before the season starts so they get a year less on cheaper Aussie and NZ pass eligibility criteria.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  35. nitroaddict

nitroaddict First Runs

I mean they are already talking about opening borders to NZ, Korea, Japan so subject to another wave happening here (which I think is unlikely given VIC situation and our learnings from this year), we should hopefully be okay. But you never know.

Goski and Chaeron like this.
  36. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I assume the issues in the first month of the 2020 Australian season led to the approach being taken for N. America for 2021-22. The key points are that:

1) Epic passholders have a month to reserve up to 7 Priority Days during the entire season before any day tickets are available to non-passholders.
    2) Epic passholders will be able to get "week of" reservations all season long with no restrictions. Meaning could reserve the entire week. Timing is not clear yet. Meaning it's possible that a "week" won't be Mon-Sun, but could be Thu-Wed.
    3) Cancellations can be made online up to midnight the night before a reserved day.
    4) After someone uses or cancels a Priority Day, they can reserve more.

Presumably the 2021 system for Australia will build on what VR learns in the upcoming N. American season.

37. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Yeah the epic coverage is a minefield.

If you want a full refund, you pretty much want the resort you pick, closed for the season and not use the pass anywhere else

Chaeron, Jonathan_P and currawong like this.
  38. nitroaddict

nitroaddict First Runs

Sounds
    Sounds like for city dwellers going down throughout the season, that there may need to be a bit of planning involved pre-season to work out the "priority days".

39. Goski

On my phone browser session I can still add passes on yesterday's rate to the shopping cart after refreshing the browser. That's sloppy web design. From what @MarzNC posted there are new features to be added to Vail's e-commerce web VB pages e.g. the ability to cancel a reservation the day before it's too be used that we didn't have this year which would have seen spots not being used. Therefore we may get a better booking system here in 2021.... as long as it is developed well and tested well in the US season.

skiflat, MarzNC, Jonathan_P and 2 others like this.
  40. nitroaddict

nitroaddict First Runs

Getting that on the browser as well. When do you guys think the next price rise will be?

Chaeron likes this.
  41. MarzNC

Epic passholders east of the Mississippi who have to fly or drive 5+ hours to ski have to stay overnight. They generally plan their ski days well in advance. Even more true for family ski vacations when school schedules need to be taken into account. A feature of the Epic pass assurance is that if someone can't get the Priority Days they want before day tickets are available to the general public on Dec. 8, they can get a refund for 2020-21.

EDIT: fixed the date when public day ticket sales start

VR knows exactly how many of their Epic passholders typically only take one ski vacation per season to a destination resort. They have data going back to 2008-09. When the Epic pass was created, what was less obvious is that RFID was part of the roll out. RFID is added to all VR acquisitions relatively quickly, even the small "urban" ski areas. Obviously for a "local" ski area then the "week of" situation would apply. For example someone in Chicago can decide more or less on the fly to go ski for a day at Wilmot, which is about an hour's drive from the Chicagoland area.

Jonathan_P and Ted Harper like this.
  42. MarzNC

By the way, I'm posting somewhat random notes about how U.S. ski areas/resorts are hoping to handle capacity limits in this thread. Posts #12 and #13 are about the N. American Epic pass. There are plenty of Americans who are still pretty confused about exactly how the reservation system will work. Not many were paying attention to Perisher in June, July, or August. :)

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/usa-2020-21-plans-for-limiting-capacity.88388

43. Jonathan_P

Looks like they have made some improvements based on learnings from Perisher.

Cancellations is one of the key ones we did not have that, the other is the fact lessons include a reservation. This was not the case in Australia and it was a hassle to have to move them due to the fact I could not secure lift access as they were overwhelmed with complaints it was almost impossible to arrange moving the dates.

Some other items that look good Priority Reservation Days but would need to read up a little more as I am confused if that counts towards you 7 day maximum allocation, I think you get a further 7 day but not sure.

One thing that is yet to be seen is if they can remove the inequity from the system that was released in Australia looks like they are trying pretty hard to do that, sure that we will see further improvements as they learn from this system.

MarzNC likes this.
  44. Jonathan_P

Yes you are spot on, they respond to my email, so as she is 4 at start of season I get to enjoy one more year of the 4 and under season pass:)

45. MarzNC

The 7 Priority Days is a rolling total. So suppose someone sets up two trips to start with by reserving 2 days in Dec and 5 days in Jan. That should be relatively easy during the initial month-long period only for Epic passholders. After skiing the 2 Dec days, then possible to pick out a couple days in Feb. Could potentially add a few more days for the Feb trip after the trip in Jan, but not guaranteed.

If that pass holder happens to live close enough to drive to an Epic location for a day trip, could also get in other days based on "week of" reservations in Dec and Jan. No reservations required if that location is open before Dec. 8.

Does that help?

46. Jonathan_P

Yes that does thanks.

Will be interesting to see if this is the system they may use in Australia next year if restrictions are required.

MarzNC and Chaeron like this.
  47. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Too complicated for me, think I will wait and see what eventuates, the future of skiing is too uncertain.
    I dont like to ski when the snow is no good .

Jonathan_P and skiflat like this.
  48. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The Ts & Cs specify the age as at 12 June 2021 is the relevant age for the pass.

49. Goski

Yep, a week too late for my two. If they were July babies it would have been good for cheap passes for another year and for them to stay longer in each age group for winter sport seasons e.g. basketball. US studies show that having a birth date that allows that increases the chance of becoming a professional athlete.They were born 3 weeks before the first Fed Gov baby bonus cash handout was started on July 1 that year. That was disappointing but ce la vie, it's only money and we are glad they had no major health issues. Research indicates that being prem isn't ideal for development through childhood but my two seem fine healthwise, except for not displaying the mathematical aptitude of their parents. That has something to do with the way maths is taught too. Mathematics teaching in Australia is currently not epic. Let's hope next snow season is. Trump recently said in reference to scientific concerns about climate change "Just wait, it will get cooler" so we have little to worry about.

Chaeron likes this.
  50. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah that's the season pass vs the $5 card and top up option

Jonathan_P likes this.