Travel Life 2022/2023 - Canada Plans

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
If you have enough time and cash on your hands, why not? I've just had a week there, and while Monday was a shocker weather and snow condition wise, things improved on Tuesday and Thursday and Friday were amongst the best days of skiing I've had there since I started going to Whistler in the early 2000s. We also ate ourselves silly at the fine dining options Whistler offers.

If the budget stretches, stay somewhere like the Pan Pacific Mountainside - there's nowhere more convenient for access to both mountains, with the Blackcomb and Whistler gondolas being mere steps away. The rooms have full kitchens, so eating in is easy. Each room has a ski locker assigned so easy to dump the gear at the end of the day and not have it clutter up your room.

We stayed for part of the week at the Hilton - first time there. It is also very convenient for the Whistler gondola. The rooms have kitchenettes so not quite as well equipped as the Pan Pac for cooking full dinners, but breakky is totally doable.
Tempting options … We stayed at Coast Blackcomb suites high up on (you guessed it) Blackcomb last visit. I think they’ve changed hands and hence name since but they were ski in and ski out - a short run down to what was the Wizard chair (from memory). Only inconvenience was the distance from the village and the need to rely on the unreliable village bus. Whistler was a blast for us with huge amounts of snow falling in the 11 days we were there in early 2018. In the end it will come down to cost and time available - if it was just me, definitely, but factoring in the costs for two teenage boys (and potentially the older daughter) tends to add up quickly. Current thinking is 4 nights at Revelstoke and 2 weeks at Sun Peaks.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Tempting options … We stayed at Coast Blackcomb suites high up on (you guessed it) Blackcomb last visit. I think they’ve changed hands and hence name since but they were ski in and ski out - a short run down to what was the Wizard chair (from memory). Only inconvenience was the distance from the village and the need to rely on the unreliable village bus. Whistler was a blast for us with huge amounts of snow falling in the 11 days we were there in early 2018. In the end it will come down to cost and time available - if it was just me, definitely, but factoring in the costs for two teenage boys (and potentially the older daughter) tends to add up quickly. Current thinking is 4 nights at Revelstoke and 2 weeks at Sun Peaks.
Why only 4 at Revelstoke?

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
not sure what your Revy accommodation plans or desires are, but we stayed at one in this complex.

About 5 mins drive to the mountain, and 2 minutes to the township (kinda stuck in between)

However, it was really flash, high class fittings, beds etc, incredibly tidy and new, big hottubs on the balconies

Bendalong+

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 30, 2014
Plus1 & myself fly out of Sydney 2morrow to Vancouver via Auckland to spend 3 weeks with our youngest who lives in Creekside Whislter. Haven't seen him for 3 years, so quite excited.
Will post a few pics once we get setteled.
IMG_20220307_092230.jpg
IMG_20220307_092233.jpg
IMG_20220307_092230.jpg
IMG_20220307_092233.jpg
IMG_20220307_091937.jpg
IMG_20220307_092228.jpg
IMG_20220307_091852.jpg

Bendalong+

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 30, 2014
After a three year a sense, all the bits still seem to be in the right place. First day skiing in nearly 3 years after a life changing multiple back fracture 2 years ago went really well. Fischer 98 Ti's smashed the early morning first track groomers. We are in a happy place!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
After a three year a sense, all the bits still seem to be in the right place. First day skiing in nearly 3 years after a life changing multiple back fracture 2 years ago went really well. Fischer 98 Ti's smashed the early morning first track groomers. We are in a happy place!
Have a great trip. Skiing and family. Just fantastic. Enjoy every minute.

Reactions: dawooduck

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Yep, my last day skiing was with @dawooduck @ Perisher in August 2019.
Skiing every second day and avoiding weekends.
Shopping 2morrow for some Season Nexus skis/Marker Pt bindings plus a load of house stuff for the young Fella's new condo.

That was a good day out.

Enjoy the "return of the man" tour Whistler ❤

Reactions: Bendalong+

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada

The unreliable village bus is non-existent this year - BC Transit, which supplies bus services in Whistler, has had its Whistler drivers on strike most of the season. The drivers have been striking about pay, which apparently is not at Whistler cost of living levels. The beneficiaries of the strike have been the Uber and Whistler taxi drivers!

The costs of 4 or 5 people at Whistler really do add up quickly. You can reduce cost of living by not dining out and doing all meals at home, but dining out in Whistler is part of the fun, too. The children can experience Whistler themselves - send them over to work on the IEC visa when they're of age!

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
The children can experience Whistler themselves - send them over to work on the IEC visa when they're of age!
Number two son, aged 14, already has this sorted.
"Dad, I'm going to Canada for a gap year and instruct at Whistler before I get to Uni..
"but son, I thought you wanted to plough straight into medicine? "
Nope- now wants to do law - more amenable to a Canadian lifestyle with skiing it seems.
"So who's going to pay for the instructors cert and the shortfall between your instructor salary and the lifestyle you're used to??".
"Well, Dad, I thought if ever you needed an excuse to ski more, this is it. Call it quid pro pro..."
I think he'll make a good lawyer.

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Number two son, aged 14, already has this sorted.
"Dad, I'm going to Canada for a gap year and instruct at Whistler before I get to Uni..
"but son, I thought you wanted to plough straight into medicine? "
Nope- now wants to do law - more amenable to a Canadian lifestyle with skiing it seems.
"So who's going to pay for the instructors cert and the shortfall between your instructor salary and the lifestyle you're used to??".
"Well, Dad, I thought if ever you needed an excuse to ski more, this is it. Call it quid pro pro..."
I think he'll make a good lawyer.

The perfect negotiation, really.

Reactions: Roymond

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
nervous or full of confidence?

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Why only 4 at Revelstoke?
I’d like to explore somewhere different, and we’re yet to visit Revelstoke. Having said that, the boys love Sun Peaks and it will be good to base ourselves there again having had a taste of Revelstoke. Ironically, I think Revvie will be well suited to my boys as they both eat up more challenging black/double black runs, moguls, etc, while I’m left floundering in their wake. If it were just me, I’d want to spend 4-6 weeks BC and Alberta doing a bit of a road trip of different resorts (I visited the Banff resorts and Whistler in addition to Sun Peaks on our first trip, and we ventured over to Silver Star last time, so quite a few left on the agenda). One for the future ….

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I’d like to explore somewhere different, and we’re yet to visit Revelstoke. Having said that, the boys love Sun Peaks and it will be good to base ourselves there again having had a taste of Revelstoke. Ironically, I think Revvie will be well suited to my boys as they both eat up more challenging black/double black runs, moguls, etc, while I’m left floundering in their wake. If it were just me, I’d want to spend 4-6 weeks BC and Alberta doing a bit of a road trip of different resorts (I visited the Banff resorts and Whistler in addition to Sun Peaks on our first trip, and we ventured over to Silver Star last time, so quite a few left on the agenda). One for the future ….
Will babysit for beers

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Thanks. $1195 CAD with tax which works out to around $1293 AUD. Travelplan have quoted me $1123.64 AUD for the early bird adult season pass plus very attractive accommodation rates for Sutton Place at Revelstoke so once again I’ll probably go through them.
SP direct offers the ability to pay in 4(?) instalments, which might make it more palatable?

Reactions: Lady Penelope

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
We had a pleasant experience flying BNE-YVR with AC in 2019. Liked the 789 aircraft, def better than ACs cramped 777.
Yes we have been on 3 787's happy with them, some of the seats are in good spots. JAL red eye sleeper 767-300 although older isn't bad either. Looking forward to booking

Libelle

Hard Yards
Nov 19, 2009
Canberra
Hi all,
I am planning to get back to Canada in Jan 2023, will be 5th trip. I have flown on Air Canada on the previous trips, was great that the bags were dropped of in Canberra, and then didn't see them again till Kelowna.

Does anybody have experience with an end to end ticket say on QANTAS or Air New Zealand, will the bags need to be picked up in Vancouver and rebooked or will they go directly to Kelowna?

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Hi all,
I am planning to get back to Canada in Jan 2023, will be 5th trip. I have flown on Air Canada on the previous trips, was great that the bags were dropped of in Canberra, and then didn't see them again till Kelowna.

Does anybody have experience with an end to end ticket say on QANTAS or Air New Zealand, will the bags need to be picked up in Vancouver and rebooked or will they go directly to Kelowna?
I believe they are checked all the way through.

Reactions: Libelle

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Hi all,

Last trip (2020) we flew Canberra-Sydney via Qantas, then AC through to Kelowna via YVR. Bags were checked all the way through to Kelowna from Cba and miraculously all turned up. Annoyingly we had to offload them at Sydney for the return trip and drag them to the domestic check-in section. Not a lot of fun with ski bags and cases (yes, we had both).

Libelle

Hard Yards
Nov 19, 2009
Canberra
Last trip (2020) we flew Canberra-Sydney via Qantas, then AC through to Kelowna via YVR. Bags were checked all the way through to Kelowna from Cba and miraculously all turned up. Annoyingly we had to offload them at Sydney for the return trip and drag them to the domestic check-in section. Not a lot of fun with ski bags and cases (yes, we had both).
Yeah LP, did the same for last 4 trips, but via Brisbane, (to avoid the 777), still unsure if Q or ANZ will have the bags straight tru to Kelowna (be brilliant if this happened in OZ).

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
Yep, read all those, makes me shudder, but I have been lucky enough not to have problems (#LuckyLibelle), but doesn't help with my question.;)
A bit hard to do that on a flight from Brisbane to Canada.. I will be very happy to get bags on each leg and rebook them..

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Yep, read all those, makes me shudder, but I have been lucky enough not to have problems (#LuckyLibelle), but doesn't help with my question.;)
we flew qantas from Melb via LA to Vancouver and had to collect our bags in LA, walk 200m up the road and re-check them in at the next terminal

Reactions: Libelle

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Not when you fly home out of YVR though. Your bags get checked through and you don't have to collect them. That is because they actually have US customs, immigration etc at YVR.
but if your bags were transited under bond from one plane to another (like most other airports around the world, then US customs wouldnt need to get involved in transit passenger cargo in the first place

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
Warning for anyone booking hire cars for their 22/23 Canadian ski trip.
I pre-paid our hire car (just RAV4) for ~25 days in Jan 23 we're doing Vancouver/Sunpeaks/Revelstoke/Kicking Horse/Calgary.

It was all pre-paid other than a small one way fee, a couple of weeks later I added our flight details into the booking on-line. The rental amount showing on-line increased from A$1.7k which I had already pre-paid to $4k. Reading the T&C's now it says that any amendments including adding flight number etc in the on-line bookings resets the rates. Blatant grab from the rental car company so be careful. Will try and fight it but will relook at other alternatives.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Warning for anyone booking hire cars for their 22/23 Canadian ski trip.
I pre-paid our hire car (just RAV4) for ~25 days in Jan 23 we're doing Vancouver/Sunpeaks/Revelstoke/Kicking Horse/Calgary.

It was all pre-paid other than a small one way fee, a couple of weeks later I added our flight details into the booking on-line. The rental amount showing on-line increased from A$1.7k which I had already pre-paid to $4k. Reading the T&C's now it says that any amendments including adding flight number etc in the on-line bookings resets the rates. Blatant grab from the rental car company so be careful. Will try and fight it but will relook at other alternatives.
Can you advise who the booking company is - warn the group?

Surely that is contractually illegal. You havent modified the booking - its the dates of pick up and drop off that determine the rates, all you have done is provided additional requested details.

That seems like unreasonable accepptable small print.

Thats seems like a need for social media barrage on their FB page if they are going to push that one

Another option is to make another booking for te same dates and see wht charge you are quoted.

If they persist in being unreasonable, book every car for every day in their entire range, elect to pay on pickup and then cancel last minute, even create a few bogus email accounts -have some fun with them.

Reactions: johnski

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth

Surely that is contractually illegal. You havent modified the booking - its the dates of pick up and drop off that determine the rates, all you have done is provided additional requested details.

Thats seems like a need for social media barrage on their FB page if they are going to push that one

Another option is to make another booking for te same dates and see wht charge you are quoted.

If they persist in being unreasonable, book every car for every day in their entire range, elect to pay on pickup and then cancel last minute, even create a few bogus email accounts -have some fun with them.
It’s the yellow logo one that starts with H. I like your ideas - don’t want to ever get on your bad side!
Agree Complete B/S as dates/times etc not amended. Will post the relevant part of the T&C’s and how I go…an eye opener and warning for others though.

Reactions: gareth_oau

Crawf

Addicted
Aug 13, 2017
Melbourne
This is my guess / hope

I think that most airlines will want to be 150% certain before they start dusting off the planes from the desert!

Whilst I was expecting costs to come down as more flights open up, I was also nervous about fuel surcharges arising.

Crawf

Addicted
Aug 13, 2017
Melbourne
Banff will give you the street and shops etc to stroll around. The interior resorts won’t. They are purpose built resorts, not towns or really even villages. Big White has a lot of activities but not much of a village feel IMO. Silver Star is cute but the ‘village’ is really small. Sun Peaks (haven’t been there yet) is supposed to have more shops and restaurants than the other two. Panorama is lovely but also has a very limited on mountain village (but a great outdoor swimming pool). It does have better scenery than the other three (or at least SS and BW) too. But if you want to fly in and out of Calgary, Panorama would be a good option for a week or so.

The strength of these 4 resorts is that they make a ski holiday with kids very easy. That’s their calling card. But no resort is all things to all people.

And none of them are similar to Whistler, which is big and buzzing and busy. Mid January mid week though, Whistler is certainly manageable. It’s orders of magnitude bigger in all respects than the others.

With any resort, you need to have your eyes open to its strengths and weaknesses.

I think you mentioned Breckenridge earlier. Breck is one of the classic American ski towns. Very attractive town with ski lifts right into town. You also get this at Aspen, Telluride, Park City. These American ski towns offer a different experience again from the purpose built Canadian resorts. But you can certainly expect more people at the big American resorts, particularly those on the Epic Pass (Telluride not so much). My own preference is the town/resort combo. That said, I may very well be giving Sun Peaks a try in January.

As far as spending time in Vancouver or Calgary, Vancouver is much more appealing for a couple of days than Calgary.

If you don't mind a quiet ski village, I'd recommend Panorama. Whilst it doesn't get as much snow as the other resorts (same as LL, but less than Fernie, Sunshine, etc) it does have excellent snow making and grooming. It has some excellent expert terrain and some really good beginner terrain, so something for the whole family. Best part about it is how quiet the slopes are.

I'm sure they will have a ski school program suitable for little ones.

When looking at prices previously, it was excellent value if staying on mountain with family and combining lift tickets.

Crawf

Addicted
Aug 13, 2017
Melbourne
FWIW most of the cars come with Mud and snow tyres which will do an amazing job (have driven in 20cm of fresh). You can ask for snow specific tyres but these will generally cost extra.

I have spoken to our supplier (enterprise) and asked for snow tyres as we have a few passes to navigate in the US.

We did disney on the last trip and it was fun. We don’t just like to do ski trips and prefer to add time either side for sightseeing. If I had my time again I’d stay in Disney, the hotel was extra but getting access to the park would be worth it.

I recently hired car from Avis in Calgary. All their cars have M+S which is the minimum requirement in some resorts (Panorama). When i made the booking I asked about Winter tyres and they said they couldn't guarantee them and you had to ask on arrival. Whilst they did have them available at the time, they were a $20 per day extra charge which I declined.

Avis man said you don't need them, unless you go through to Jasper where it is a legal requirement.

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville
Had 5 ski days at Panorama last trip. It was bloody cold but snow was in top condition. Was impressed with the extra ski terrain compared to our last trip there 20 years ago.
We drove to Jasper a few years ago and only needed M+S tyres. Have they introduced a new rule??

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015

I would never pre pay a rental car, they need my signature at the site. even if it costs a bit more. Having said that Avis had Durangos for 3200SCAD for 32 days including winter tires.. which it will have to have. When I get to booking Alamo will get a call.. Will be going to Jasper, that will be noted on the booking

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass