Travel Life 2022/2023 - Canada Plans

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I would never pre pay a rental car, they need my signature at the site. even if it costs a bit more. Having said that Avis had Durangos for 3200SCAD for 32 days including winter tires.. which it will have to have. When I get to booking Alamo will get a call.. Will be going to Jasper, that will be noted on the booking
I suspect when you are dealing direct with the rental company, it would be easier to customeise and agree terms, including winter tyres. However when booking through a website like airportrentals.com, its luck of the draw and they have nil ability to vary the standard T&Cs

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
I rented through Avis in Vancouver and returned to YVR for 31 days.
Car was a Nissan Rogue 4wd and was a good size.
Including snow tires the cost was cad $1495

Shop around

Reactions: Retro2

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I recently hired car from Avis in Calgary. All their cars have M+S which is the minimum requirement in some resorts (Panorama). When i made the booking I asked about Winter tyres and they said they couldn't guarantee them and you had to ask on arrival. Whilst they did have them available at the time, they were a $20 per day extra charge which I declined.

Avis man said you don't need them, unless you go through to Jasper where it is a legal requirement.
M+S is the minimum requirement for all provincial highways in BC outside of metro Vancouver and Victoria.

Alberta has no legislation requiring winter tyres, but Federal highways legislation requires M+S or full winters. This applies to any highway that passes through a National Park, so traveling around the Banff-Lake Louise area requires them. Also the Icefields Parkway (LL to Jasper) and hwy 93 south to Radium.

So you could technically drive from Calgary Airport to Canmore on all seasons and that would it, not legal to cross into Banff National Park without proper tires or a set of chains on board.

Reactions: Retro2

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
M+S is the minimum requirement for all provincial highways in BC outside of metro Vancouver and Victoria.

Alberta has no legislation requiring winter tyres, but Federal highways legislation requires M+S or full winters. This applies to any highway that passes through a National Park, so traveling around the Banff-Lake Louise area requires them. Also the Icefields Parkway (LL to Jasper) and hwy 93 south to Radium.

So you could technically drive from Calgary Airport to Canmore on all seasons and that would it, not legal to cross into Banff National Park without proper tires or a set of chains on board.
Have driven all of these roads numerous times this winter. M&S tyres work just fine if you drive sensibly. If you have an F250 with a trailer full of sleds there is no known speed limit.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

bigmac

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2009
When booking rental cars in the US or Canada I always use the Australian site as they will usually include insurance in the price which is usually cheaper than the north American site. Usually Avis or Hertz. I do this even for a couple of days when already in the US.

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
I suspect when you are dealing direct with the rental company, it would be easier to customeise and agree terms, including winter tyres. However when booking through a website like airportrentals.com, its luck of the draw and they have nil ability to vary the standard T&Cs
Yes correct , emailing company's direct, my preferred provided doesnt want to do Calgary to Vancouver 1 month. They will have plenty of Winter tire vehicles at Calgary and we will go to Jasper.

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
I rented through Avis in Vancouver and returned to YVR for 31 days.
Car was a Nissan Rogue 4wd and was a good size.
Including snow tires the cost was cad $1495

Shop around
Yes totally agree, its odd that Avis appear to be going through a cheap phase in the US.. Alamo for 7 weeks for 3200 was ok in 2019 . upgraded vehicle due to tires and a nice drive.

Reactions: TOFF

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
Yes totally agree, its odd that Avis appear to be going through a cheap phase in the US.. Alamo for 7 weeks for 3200 was ok in 2019 . upgraded vehicle due to tires and a nice drive.
Turns out the Alamo have not loaded next years procing structure, still working on even more ways to rip into us. lol

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Fares through Qantas are typically bia LA, San Francisco or Honolulu.

In LA, there's no transit facility and you have to do customs, collect and recheck bags.

Are SF and Honolulu both the same or do they operate transit process?

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
US doesn't recognize the concept of in transit to a third country. If you land st a US airport, you're going through the full US immigration and customs process.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Earlybird seasons pass purchased for family. Same rates as last year :) TICK
Accom locked TICK
Big ass truck booked TICK

1 more week to fill somewhere and flights - SEARCHING

Reactions: KneeDeep

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
I agree the Yanks are a bit precious in this regard, however if there was an evacuation of the terminal for any reason (fire alarm etc) and peeps were not able to be contained/corralled, you then have unregistered foreigners on the loose.

I know every other country can manage passengers in transit, but the Septics are good at putting targets on their backs

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I know every other country can manage passengers in transit, but the Septics are good at putting targets on their backs
The 9/11 perps were foreigners. The entire Homeland Security apparatus springs from the events of that day. Even the very name itself expresses the thinking inherent in what they do: protect the homeland from outside threats.

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
but that's where its stupid, if you are locked in a departure lounge, no access to your checked luggage, and only in the country for 2 hours
Yep always loved when they asked me how long I intended staying in the United States. 'Ahh that would be approximately 2 hours mate':D:D

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
Fares through Qantas are typically bia LA, San Francisco or Honolulu.

In LA, there's no transit facility and you have to do customs, collect and recheck bags.

Are SF and Honolulu both the same or do they operate transit process?
Pretty sure Honolulu and Seattle you entered..

LDJ

One of Us
Apr 23, 2017
Will be visiting brother in Law next year (2023) in Ottawa. Any decent skiing that way or should I visit and fly back to Calgary and head back to KH, Rev, LL etc. Happy to do that but have skied a lot in that area previously and always good to try somewhere new if it’s potentially good.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
If adding one or two obscure resorts to your brag list holds interest, go for it. Nothing in that area comes remotely close to Rockies skiing. You'd need to head further east to Quebec (city) for access to Le Massif or Mt Ste Anne or head south of Montreal for Jay Peak, Stowe, etc.

Reactions: LDJ

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Flights for the Roymond tribe worked out at $15 100 for the five of us; Brissy- Vancouver-Kamloops. AC all the way.
That's including the surcharge for the bulkhead seats in cattle class. An extra $120 per seat to get legroom more than PE is money well spent in my view.
That's was booked through our travel agent at Global Jetsetting so probs cheaper if you did it yourself.

Reactions: bomber

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Flights for the Roymond tribe worked out at $15 100 for the five of us; Brissy- Vancouver-Kamloops. AC all the way.
That's including the surcharge for the bulkhead seats in cattle class. An extra $120 per seat to get legroom more than PE is money well spent in my view.
That's was booked through our travel agent at Global Jetsetting so probs cheaper if you did it yourself.
That’s an excellent price, @Roymond . I tend to find that prices with direct bookings vs travel agent can be broadly similar. One of the reasons I persist with Travelplan is past experience when things have gone awry with Air Canada and a flight out of Brisbane was cancelled on the day (due to unforeseen circumstances- a passenger on the inbound flight sadly died and the plane was diverted to Honolulu). I didn’t have a hope in hell of contacting AC directly, but - at 7.30 on a Sunday morning - got through to the travel agent who managed to get us on a flight out of Sydney at the same price, and same day. This is why I return to them.

By the way, how do you transit from domestic to international at Brisbane Airport? Is it a walk, or a bus similar to Sydney Airport?

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
That’s an excellent price, @Roymond . I tend to find that prices with direct bookings vs travel agent can be broadly similar. One of the reasons I persist with Travelplan is past experience when things have gone awry with Air Canada and a flight out of Brisbane was cancelled on the day (due to unforeseen circumstances- a passenger on the inbound flight sadly died and the plane was diverted to Honolulu). I didn’t have a hope in hell of contacting AC directly, but - at 7.30 on a Sunday morning - got through to the travel agent who managed to get us on a flight out of Sydney at the same price, and same day. This is why I return to them.

By the way, how do you transit from domestic to international at Brisbane Airport? Is it a walk, or a bus similar to Sydney Airport?
there’s an ‘air train’ service ( which is Queensland way of saying ‘this is a train that’s not as stinky or noisy as the usual Queensland trains’) or an inter terminal shuttle bus.

I’m not sure whether the train is free but the shuttle has been in the past at least.

The international terminal is about 2 km up the road from domestic in a seperate terminal.

I agree with the travel agent thing- ours got us out of snowmass two years ago when Covid first shut our borders and every Australian in the US were trying to get home on the same flight (or so it seemed).
even if they were more expensive, it’s money well spent.

Libelle

Hard Yards
Nov 19, 2009
Canberra

Hi LP,
transfer is via free bus, see https://www.bne.com.au/passenger/passenger-information/transferring-between-flights.
I am out of Canberra to Brissy then Kelowna on the 17th Jan (Air Canada), can understand booking via Travelplan, about 4 years ago I had the flight from Canberra to Brisbane cancelled due to the QANTAS first officer calling in sick. Ended up on the Whistler Express Sydney to Vancouver later that evening.

Last edited:

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Hi LP,
transfer is via free bus, see https://www.bne.com.au/passenger/passenger-information/transferring-between-flights.
I am out of Canberra to Brissy then Kelowna on the 17th Jan (Air Canada), can understand booking via Travelplan, about 4 years ago I had the flight from Canberra to Brisbane cancelled due to the QANTAS first officer calling in sick. Ended up on the Whistler Express Sydney to Vancouver later that evening.
Thanks @Libelle . Same route as us, just a week later!

Reactions: skimax

bomber

Having a good time
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2001
Brisbane
Wendy and Lyn are very good. Use them if you are able.

Reactions: Roymond

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Wendy and Lyn are very good. Use them if you are able.
After extracting us from snowmass, they’ve got our business forever.
There isn’t anywhere in the world Wendy hasn’t been - you can’t pay enough for on the ground experience for travel.
She’s a gem who takes a genuine pleasure in providing a seamless holiday.

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast

Train will take you from international to domestic

Reactions: Lady Penelope

bigmac

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2009
Managed to book Qantas business classic reward seats, Canberra to Vancouver via Tokyo. Connections not real good but can put up with that in a business lounge. Quite a lot of availability on JAL but can be a problem to book on QF website. JAL availability will only show under multi city bookings. You can search on JAL for availability then plug in segments on QF multi city. Would not complete booking, errored at final stage on QF website and had to call. Then would not ticket and 2 further calls required. Luckily no wait times on QF call centre over easter, amazing. Waited 4 hours earlier in the week before call dropped out. Quite an ordeal but worth it, happy to provide further info.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
ANZ 10.5K family of 4. $$$$, that was my cut off for flight prices so I took it.
We’re a family of four too and we were torn between Canada and France for a new year trip. We just pulled the trigger on flights into Paris and out of Geneva 4th to 28th January. $1480 return each. Another factor was no car needed (train to Bourg Saint Maurice gives easy access to the biggest ski hills in the world) saving a few grand. Day lift tickets about $85 aud but cheaper if bought as a family or in week long bundles. Accommodation (apartment style but smaller than typical North American lodging) on the snow and 50 metres from the lifts in Les Arcs is $165 aud per night.
We have had unforgettably wonderful trips to Canada in the past and will certainly get back there but costs have increased a lot now that our kids are in their late teens. Those 4 adult meals at dinner hurts financially!

Reactions: Crystal and Roymond

steeps

One of Us
May 8, 2006
I'm a proud New South Welshman
Quick update and a question. So now the four of us are locked in to Whistler for 16 nights from the 28th of Dec to 13th Jan. The other three leave for London after that and I’m then going solo until the 21st of Jan staying in Canada for another 10 nights.

So. Fernie or Kicking horse for 7 nights post Whistler. Thoughts peeps ?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass