Travel Life 2022/2023 - Canada Plans

rune

Early Days
Feb 10, 2022
Quick update and a question. So now the four of us are locked in to Whistler for 16 nights from the 28th of Dec to 13th Jan. The other three leave for London after that and I’m then going solo until the 21st of Jan staying in Canada for another 10 nights.

So. Fernie or Kicking horse for 7 nights post Whistler. Thoughts peeps ?
I haven't skied at Fernie but spent a season at Kicking Horse and would definitely recommend it.

The best thing about it for me besides the steep terrain and vertical was getting to some of the further edges of the resort and seeing no one else around. A pretty cool feeling of semi exploration while still being in lift serviced, avy controlled terrain.

Reactions: LDJ and steeps

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Quick update and a question. So now the four of us are locked in to Whistler for 16 nights from the 28th of Dec to 13th Jan. The other three leave for London after that and I’m then going solo until the 21st of Jan staying in Canada for another 10 nights.

I recently wrote a trip report where I visited many mountains as part of a 7 week Canadian road trip. You might find some of that relevant if you can be bothered reading my fluff

Reactions: steeps

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Locked into Big White January 4th to 17th.

Now looking at some lake Louise and sunshine

Last edited:
Reactions: steeps

KneeDeep

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2004
Canberra

Kicking Horse for sure.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

steeps

One of Us
May 8, 2006
I'm a proud New South Welshman
Thanks for the feedback re Kicking Horse v Fernie - probably only got time to do one resort as will be spending some time in the Van to see the sister before I fly home. Only issue with my time - looks like it will be a max 6 days now at either Fernie or KH is access time via flights ex Van. So thinking Fernie wins here. I will read those reports TOFF

Reactions: Crystal

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Thanks for the feedback re Kicking Horse v Fernie - probably only got time to do one resort as will be spending some time in the Van to see the sister before I fly home. Only issue with my time - looks like it will be a max 6 days now at either Fernie or KH is access time via flights ex Van. So thinking Fernie wins here. I will read those reports TOFF
simlpes - get your sister to visti you on your extended Fernie.KH stay.

I suspect she deserves a few days on the mountain too ;)

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Ooh pleeeease. It's a ski holiday and any minute not spent skiing is considered futile. Stuff a few ham sandwiches in your jacket so you don't have to stop for lunch too. Lunch can be had on the lift. Lucky we are friends and I am allowed to judge you
I've never seen you skinning up hills after hours

Gregah

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2016
Locked into Big White January 4th to 17th.

Now looking at some lake Louise and sunshine
Could be there around the same time. Current flight combos and pricing aren't inspiring me though...Can I ask - What flights did you get, how much, and who did you book through?

Captain Caveman

One of Us
Sep 24, 2020
what is this ski patrol thingy you refer to?
Probably the people who don't want the over eager skiers like me shooting down a run in the dark with the potential to end up underneath a groomer. A nightmare for paperwork I am sure but what a way to go!

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Could be there around the same time. Current flight combos and pricing aren't inspiring me though...Can I ask - What flights did you get, how much, and who did you book through?
I'm booking flight in next few days once I have a final family meeting. Our kids(20, 24, 25 and 30) are coming to BW but then making their own way home while MrsTr+h and I head to Calgary/Banff/LL.

We are flying from Perth into Seattle (and stopping there for 2 nights) with Singapore Airlines. Then Air Alaska into Kelowna and the kids return Air Alaska via LAX. Mrs and I one way into Kelowna and then a Kelowna ->Calgary / Calgary LAX with Westjet from memory. All returns out of US are Singapore Airlines out of LAX.

So everyone will have a booking with Singapore multi-city. Then 5 kids(just remembered were taking a fiancee) will have an internal multi-city. Mrs and I have a on-way flight and a final internal multi-city.

Confused?

I've got it all on a spreadsheet!

Reactions: Gregah and Summit
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I'm booking flight in next few days once I have a final family meeting. Our kids(20, 24, 25 and 30) are coming to BW but then making their own way home while MrsTr+h and I head to Calgary/Banff/LL.

We are flying from Perth into Seattle (and stopping there for 2 nights) with Singapore Airlines. Then Air Alaska into Kelowna and the kids return Air Alaska via LAX. Mrs and I one way into Kelowna and then a Kelowna ->Calgary / Calgary LAX with Westjet from memory. All returns out of US are Singapore Airlines out of LAX.

So everyone will have a booking with Singapore multi-city. Then 5 kids(just remembered were taking a fiancee) will have an internal multi-city. Mrs and I have a on-way flight and a final internal multi-city.

Confused?

TLDR!

• Sad
Reactions: Summit

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville

Confused?

Enjoy your couple of days in Seattle. Lots of touristy things to enjoy.

Reactions: Gregah

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
What's everyone's preferred insurer for Canada these days?

My usual, insure4less, no longer covers off piste in North America / Canada

Only one in our family will need off piste cover and most policies apply this cover to all in the policy if that option is selected, thus unnecessarily doubling the cost of this add on.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra

Only one in our family will need off piste cover and most policies apply this cover to all in the policy if that option is selected, thus unnecessarily doubling the cost of this add on.
Good question. I’m looking closely at NIB as they do cover off-piste in their snowsports package as well as COVID cancellation cover. Just have to call them with a few questions.

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Good question. I’m looking closely at NIB as they do cover off-piste in their snowsports package as well as COVID cancellation cover. Just have to call them with a few questions.

Be very very wary of NIB cover from first hand experience*. Check some online reviews as reports of many poor experiences come claim time with what appear to be pretty black and white circumstances.

*Health cover

• Wow
Reactions: Lady Penelope

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Used Travel Insurance Direct - TID - last time I travelled OS in 2020. Made 2 claims OK. They covered off piste back then. Haven't looked at them recently.

JayJee

A new hope
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
Been home less than 3 months and I just booked Whistler again. Had an awesome time there for a month this year. Best snow they have had in decades. Let's hope it holds up for January 2023!

Booked on ANA via Haneda into Vancouver, for literally half the price that AC was offering.

Reactions: Lady Penelope

Captain Caveman

One of Us
Sep 24, 2020

I used 1 Cover with the snow sports extra which only covers for "Piste"
Without getting slaughtered for saying this my theory is this. Spend 5% of the holiday "Off Piste" and have an issue then drag your ass back to the "Piste" Works for me

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
Without getting slaughtered for saying this my theory is this. Spend 5% of the holiday "Off Piste" and have an issue then drag your ass back to the "Piste" Works for me
until you can't...

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Ski off piste with a friend and they can drag your ass back onto the piste

Reactions: Captain Caveman

Gregah

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2016
Okay ...we are all booked. Flights, lifts, accom, car, cats.... just car/travel insurance outstanding.

Happy dance. Not many specials around at all but not unreasonable.
Who'd you go with for flights?

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Perth ->Seattle SIA
Seattle-> Kelowna air Alaska
Kelowna -> Calgary west jet
Calgary-> LA westjet
LA -> Perth SIA

About $3300.

Was cheapest to book online direct, pay for seat and bags where required, than booking through an online agent.

Crawf

Addicted
Aug 13, 2017
Melbourne

I went with insureandgo recently for a trip to Canada. I thought I read the T&C's carefully, however someone else on this site pointed out that their was some ambiguity with regards to being covered off piste (particularly what is considered off piste - everything in resort?) . I did contact them, and they never really responded.

In saying that I tested positive upon trying to return to Australia by airport RAT test. Their conditions clearly stated that I needed a PCR test, however they paid out on my claim (I was unable to get a PCR test, given that I had already tested positive twice on RATs). The claim was only $2000ish, but quite happy with overall result.

I'd definately look at using them again if they can clarify everywhere within resort boundary is covered. They specifically state backcountry is covered with suitably qualified guide (I'm not going outside gates without a guide!).

jgm

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2000
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Perth ->Seattle SIA
Seattle-> Kelowna air Alaska
Kelowna -> Calgary west jet
Calgary-> LA westjet
LA -> Perth SIA

About $3300.

Was cheapest to book online direct, pay for seat and bags where required, than booking through an online agent.
I bought AirCanada Aeroplan points with a 2 for 1 offer for less than that, and am flying MEL-YXC & return in business class. Add on flight YVR-YXC was no extra, 2 x 32kg bags free.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
I bought AirCanada Aeroplan points with a 2 for 1 offer for less than that, and am flying MEL-YXC & return in business class. Add on flight YVR-YXC was no extra, 2 x 32kg bags free.
Melb - Cranbrook via where ? How long total transit ? 25+ hrs

JayJee

A new hope
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
So you are saying that you got return business AC airfares ex Australia for less than $3.3k?

I have to say the whole points game shits me as an airline customer and probably isn't very good for the airline's bottom line.

I was quoted over $AUD16k for AC business class return SYD-YVR January 2023.

Not that I would fly them again in the first place.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
So you are saying that you got return business AC airfares ex Australia for less than $3.3k?

I have to say the whole points game shits me as an airline customer and probably isn't very good for the airline's bottom line.

Last couple of times I have flown AC business it cost me around $6k return. That was through a travel agent, direct with the airline was around $7k. That was pre covid. However, I was having a look the other day, and there are business return tickets on sale with AC for the ski season next year in the $7.5k bracket, out of school holidays, eg

Untitled.png

JayJee

A new hope
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
Last couple of times I have flown AC business it cost me around $6k return. That was through a travel agent, direct with the airline was around $7k. That was pre covid. However, I was having a look the other day, and there are business return tickets on sale with AC for the ski season next year in the $7.5k bracket, out of school holidays, eg

Untitled.png
@robbo mcs Yep around $AUD8k I would consider a "normal" business class fare. But during peak times I have seen up to $8k each way ($16K return) as mentioned. This is pretty standard across the top-tier airlines from my experience.

With 2nd tiers like Asiana, Fiji, etc. you can get somewhat circuitous business class fares for $5-6K if you can bear the route.

I was just intrigued by the points hack alluded to in the OP's post and somewhat frustrated that it's always such a fiddle and timewaster to get a decent fare.

I don't personally don't have time to be trawling points hacking websites and the like, but it also shits me at a very deep level that I could be sitting next to someone who has and got a much better deal LOL

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
@robbo mcs Yep around $AUD8k I would consider a "normal" business class fare. But during peak times I have seen up to $8k each way ($16K return) as mentioned. This is pretty standard across the top-tier airlines from my experience.

With 2nd tiers like Asiana, Fiji, etc. you can get somewhat circuitous business class fares for $5-6K if you can bear the route.

I was just intrigued by the points hack alluded to in the OP's post and somewhat frustrated that it's always such a fiddle and timewaster to get a decent fare.

I don't personally don't have time to be trawling points hacking websites and the like, but it also shits me at a very deep level that I could be sitting next to someone who has and got a much better deal LOL

FWIW, I had a lot of AC / aeroplan FF points, from multiple flights. Couldn't really get any decent business class bookings with the points. At the start of the pandemic I cashed them in for pre paid credit cards, coz I thought AC might go bust etc. I found the AC FF system pretty lame. I often do get offers to "buy" aeroplan points.

AC used to have an interesting system where you would get offered a set price upgrade at check in. Once I scored a $900 economy to business upgrade, which I thought was worthwhile, another time $1500, which was marginal. Pricing was dynamic, depending on route, number of seats etc. That was pretty easy to game. You could tell if seats were available by looking at the seating plan, and had to be ready to hit the checkin button at the moment it opened online, 24 hours prior, to be the first person and grab the seat. They changed that, and it is now a competitive bid system, which is not really value at all. Never heard of anyone getting a really cheap one.

jgm

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2000
Geelong, Vic, Australia

Yes 82.5K points each way. I bought them in a 2 for 1 deal which cost me CA$.15 each. Aeroplan is now my favourite FF scheme, as the CA$ is usually around parity with the A$. The additional charges were just over CA$150. It can be a bit of a challenge to find the cheap redemptions though. I've noticed that they're mostly pricing out at 200K each way.

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
So, I need to buy the following equipment:

4 year old's skis and boots
Wife's skis, boots, poles
My skis boots poles ( I am happy with second hand skis as they are for 'down days' with the family and when it the off piste is too crusty for the snowboard).

We have a whole day when we land in Calgary and eight days banff to kick off the snow portion of the trip, So questions:

- pricing wise and range, would it better to buy in Calgary or Banff vs buying in Oz?

- what size, type, brand, etc skis for me? Just piste bashers for a low intermediate, 174 CM tall and 95kg.

We have approx 30 days in snow over the course of the trip, visiting various resorts, hence renting is not really an option.

KneeDeep

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2004
Canberra
Calgary has several second hand ski shops. Play it again sports and 2nd hand sports. You are sure to find what you need.

Reactions: Incider
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass