gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
So, I need to buy the following equipment:

4 year old's skis and boots
Wife's skis, boots, poles
My skis boots poles ( I am happy with second hand skis as they are for 'down days' with the family and when it the off piste is too crusty for the snowboard).

We have a whole day when we land in Calgary and eight days banff to kick off the snow portion of the trip, So questions:

- pricing wise and range, would it better to buy in Calgary or Banff vs buying in Oz?

- what size, type, brand, etc skis for me? Just piste bashers for a low intermediate, 174 CM tall and 95kg.

We have approx 30 days in snow over the course of the trip, visiting various resorts, hence renting is not really an option.
There are two massive places in Calgary called Sporting Life - picture a Rebel Sports on Steroids

Reactions: Incider

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Yes 82.5K points each way. I bought them in a 2 for 1 deal which cost me CA$.15 each. Aeroplan is now my favourite FF scheme, as the CA$ is usually around parity with the A$. The additional charges were just over CA$150. It can be a bit of a challenge to find the cheap redemptions though. I've noticed that they're mostly pricing out at 200K each way.
Ummmm you said you have direct flights, no one is doing direct atm, and last time I did and aeroplan reward flight it was round about through asia exceptional value though. I fail to see how you have scored the itinerary you have quoted. Plesse share

dandandan

Early Days
Jan 1, 2022
Ummmm you said you have direct flights, no one is doing direct atm, and last time I did and aeroplan reward flight it was round about through asia exceptional value though. I fail to see how you have scored the itinerary you have quoted. Plesse share
They possibly don't realise they are going via SYD, BNE or AKL as they look the only direct YVR flights with Air Canada at the moment.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Heads up LP, if your flight is a Tuesday, AC has removed Tuesday and Thursday Brissie to Vancouver flights. Mine has been bumped to Wednesday flight.
Damn! Flights ticketed and haven’t heard yet, but may have to re-route through Sydney then. Thanks for the heads up!

Libelle

Hard Yards
Nov 19, 2009
Canberra
I just looked on the AC web site and it seems that the Tues and Thur flights are still bookable, so it may be dependant on time of the year.

Damn! Flights ticketed and haven’t heard yet, but may have to re-route through Sydney then. Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah,
Yeah done a few dummy bookings, Tuesdays (17 Jan & 24 Jan) seem gone, Thursdays OK, some Fridays gone.. Doesn't make much sense, but when I logged in to AC I had a forced change to Wednesday. Also Vancouver to Kelowna flight changed with less than 90 minutes between arriving.. Looks like a 'quick' phone call to AC but no hurry, could all change again. Good luck..

KneeDeep

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2004
Canberra
Heads up LP, if your flight is a Tuesday, AC has removed Tuesday and Thursday Brissie to Vancouver flights. Mine has been bumped to Wednesday flight.
Thanks for the info, no email from AC, checked booking and flight changed to Wednesday. CBR,BNE,YLW.

Libelle

Hard Yards
Nov 19, 2009
Canberra
Thanks for the info, no email from AC, checked booking and flight changed to Wednesday. CBR,BNE,YLW.
Spoke to AC on the phone last night, (only a small wait compared to Q), very helpful and polite Rep. Was given the option of swapping at no cost to the 777 out of Sydney on the 17th Jan, but declined. Decided to go out on 18th Jan from Brisbane, as a day later is not a big imposition (for me). Rep said if the 17th Jan flight was reinstated I would be able to move back to that. Rep also put me back on the original flight to Kelowna (+1 Day). I stress to much if its a tight layover. So all good :)

Reactions: KneeDeep

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Spoke to AC on the phone last night, (only a small wait compared to Q), very helpful and polite Rep. Was given the option of swapping at no cost to the 777 out of Sydney on the 17th Jan, but declined. Decided to go out on 18th Jan from Brisbane, as a day later is not a big imposition (for me). Rep said if the 17th Jan flight was reinstated I would be able to move back to that. Rep also put me back on the original flight to Kelowna (+1 Day). I stress to much if its a tight layover. So all good :)
Once when I was in Canada I needed to urgently change AC flights out of YVR. Problem though, as there was a huge snowstorm around the Ontario and Quebec regions, hundreds of flights were cancelled etc. So when I tried to ring the AC line couldn't get through. I did a bit of lateral thinking, and rang the AC Australian number. Got through instantly, flights changed straight away :thumbs:

That was around 10 years ago, so probably now wouldn't work, as all calls probably go to a call centre somewhere centralLOL

Reactions: Libelle

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Once when I was in Canada I needed to urgently change AC flights out of YVR. Problem though, as there was a huge snowstorm around the Ontario and Quebec regions, hundreds of flights were cancelled etc. So when I tried to ring the AC line couldn't get through. I did a bit of lateral thinking, and rang the AC Australian number. Got through instantly, flights changed straight away :thumbs:

That was around 10 years ago, so probably now wouldn't work, as all calls probably go to a call centre somewhere centralLOL
There is no Air Canada Australian call centre anymore (I discovered this two years ago when I had to urgently try and re-schedule flights when they cancelled my plane out of Brisbane on the day). Call centre is nominally in the US but their automated recording (“your current wait time is in excess of 60 minutes”) was of someone with a Philippine accent …. This is the primary reason I book AC via a travel agent now :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: robbo mcs

steeps

One of Us
May 8, 2006
I'm a proud New South Welshman
Hello Ski Peeps. Ok - so locked in another leg of the plan last night. Booked Slopeside lodge (cheap and cheerful but good spot on the mountain) at Fernie for the "solo" trip now post the 16 nights in Whistler (Syling at the Delta in a suite) and return Flights via AC from YVR. Thinking of doing a day or too with these guys whilst in Fernie - anyone done this ? Thoughts ? Feedback ? https://ferniewildernessadventures.com/cat-skiing

Also - saw the thread re AC and bags - yep reduced to 1 x 23kg bag from YVR to YXC internal and you need to pay $34.90 AUD each way.

Ps Also - so is there a dedicated thread to a Fernie 2022/23 schedule like the good one for Sun Peaks et al ? Or will I be Nigel no Friends........

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Hello Ski Peeps. Ok - so locked in another leg of the plan last night. Booked Slopeside lodge (cheap and cheerful but good spot on the mountain) at Fernie for the "solo" trip now post the 16 nights in Whistler (Syling at the Delta in a suite) and return Flights via AC from YVR. Thinking of doing a day or too with these guys whilst in Fernie - anyone done this ? Thoughts ? Feedback ? https://ferniewildernessadventures.com/cat-skiing

Also - saw the thread re AC and bags - yep reduced to 1 x 23kg bag from YVR to YXC internal and you need to pay $34.90 AUD each way.

Ps Also - so is there a dedicated thread to a Fernie 2022/23 schedule like the good one for Sun Peaks et al ? Or will I be Nigel no Friends........

I've stayed at the Delta quite a few times, but not since covid, so things may have changed. Ask them if they still have the complimentary ski valet at the bottom of the hill, next to Fitzsimmons chair. You ski to the bottom, and drop the skis off there. Makes it a pleasant walk back to the hotel, or you can get a bus. Strangely, they don't really advertise this well to people, probably because they have to pay the valet by numbers. If you get a choice, stay in building 1, not 2. Building 1 has 2x lifts which are right next to the foyer. Building 2 only has 1x lift and it is a little walk (minor issue). It is a nice spot in town, easy walk to the better supermarket, close to some good food places, not too rowdy.

steeps

One of Us
May 8, 2006
I'm a proud New South Welshman
I've stayed at the Delta quite a few times, but not since covid, so things may have changed. Ask them if they still have the complimentary ski valet at the bottom of the hill, next to Fitzsimmons chair. You ski to the bottom, and drop the skis off there. Makes it a pleasant walk back to the hotel, or you can get a bus. Strangely, they don't really advertise this well to people, probably because they have to pay the valet by numbers. If you get a choice, stay in building 1, not 2. Building 1 has 2x lifts which are right next to the foyer. Building 2 only has 1x lift and it is a little walk (minor issue). It is a nice spot in town, easy walk to the better supermarket, close to some good food places, not too rowdy.
Hi ya Robbo. It’s a 30 yr reunion For me with Whistler. Know it well. Well. Knew all the bars and shady Shenanigans aka Dempsey Ski Course back in the day. The delta will be fine as we have a two bedroom suite v prior 30 yrs ago share house in white gold estates. Yes. Know about the valet as someone else posted about that. Great tip. Not sure what building number we will be in. Hopefully not on top of Garfunkel’s. Man. We ripped that place apart back in the day ! Still interested in anyone heading to Whistler (28/12 to 13/1) or Fernie (14/1 to 20/1) for a meet up.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Hi ya Robbo. It’s a 30 yr reunion For me with Whistler. Know it well. Well. Knew all the bars and shady Shenanigans aka Dempsey Ski Course back in the day. The delta will be fine as we have a two bedroom suite v prior 30 yrs ago share house in white gold estates. Yes. Know about the valet as someone else posted about that. Great tip. Not sure what building number we will be in. Hopefully not on top of Garfunkel’s. Man. We ripped that place apart back in the day ! Still interested in anyone heading to Whistler (28/12 to 13/1) or Fernie (14/1 to 20/1) for a meet up.

There are some rooms that are right above garfunkels :oops: Ask me how I know :rolleyes: One year I got what I thought was a great room, 5th floor, fantastic views right up the valley etc. Enjoyed it for a couple of days until the wednesday or whatever day it is Garfunkels runs LOL

Funny thing about that, it was when the world sliding championships were on, and the German team was staying in the rooms and suites next to mine. I was chatting to them, they were having trouble sleeping. Conspiracy theories about the Canadians doing it deliberately etc. Didn't work, IIRC Germany did a clean sweep of the entire eventLOL

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
PSA

271396D9-1E92-42AA-B7D5-6AC9171992AB.png

Reactions: Annabuzzy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Is March too late? Just scored some QFF business flights to LAX for March 23. Figure I can decide later what the onward plans will be, depending on conditions. Quite ok to have some spring skiing on deep base under clear skies :)

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Is March too late? Just scored some QFF business flights to LAX for March 23. Figure I can decide later what the onward plans will be, depending on conditions. Quite ok to have some spring skiing on deep base under clear skies :)
March not too late. Wait and see conditions and then decide where to go. From LAX you can go just about anywhere in North America.

Reactions: skichic

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Second half of March is my favourite part of the season. Base at peak depth, mild temps and more daylight. In the BC interior, many people have already already hung up the skis by this time because where they live - down in the valleys - it's mild and snow free and they succumb to the lure of golf courses, bike paths and gardening.

Lots of base and few people means even 5 cm fresh will deliver hours of new tracks, without the hustle of a midwinter powder day. Better chance of bluebird skies to go with the fresh and you may well be able to eat lunch outside on a sunny patio.

Reactions: Stüben

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
My Aunt is meeting us in Sunpeaks this year but travelling separately to us. Her plan is to fly Sydney to Vancouver and then transfer to Kamloops.

We are in the process of booking and she is a little uncertain what flight she should book on for the second leg as AC are known for being on time (not).

Anyway the questions are, how much time would you allow, do you go through customs / quarantine in Vancouver ? Is it straight forward?

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Some flights direct to Vancouver came up, so now Canada it is. Son found some flights too and daughter is hoping to start her post uni gap year by working a season over there. Excited!

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
My Aunt is meeting us in Sunpeaks this year but travelling separately to us. Her plan is to fly Sydney to Vancouver and then transfer to Kamloops.

We are in the process of booking and she is a little uncertain what flight she should book on for the second leg as AC are known for being on time (not).

Anyway the questions are, how much time would you allow, do you go through customs / quarantine in Vancouver ? Is it straight forward?
Allow minimum 4 hours for the transfer. Allows for late arrival into YVR and the long security lineups due to worker shortages and work to rule action. Good news is no more inbound covid testing - unless you're not vaxed.

Reactions: Chalkie

retread

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2010
Mortdale
Allow minimum 4 hours for the transfer. Allows for late arrival into YVR and the long security lineups due to worker shortages and work to rule action. Good news is no more inbound covid testing - unless you're not vaxed.
Wish us luck. Arrival from Sydney 7:00. Departure for Kamloops 8:30. I wanted later but Air Canada disagreed.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Planning now complete,

With the extra flights direct to Vancouver released this week, we jumped so fly Sydney Vancouver arriving Wednesday 21st, I didn’t book the car till the Friday so we have a day in Vancouver so have booked Granville Island Hotel. We love Granville island so hoping to enjoy the brewery and breaky at the Market.

We will drive to Seattle for Christmas with my sister, staying on Bainbridge.

The skiing starts on the 30th with stays at Red, revie and Sunpeaks, returning late Jan.

Not sure what I’ll do with my spare time now planning is done

Last edited:

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Wish us luck. Arrival from Sydney 7:00. Departure for Kamloops 8:30. I wanted later but Air Canada disagreed.
I’d be having a serious think about that lay over time…….Regardless of what AC say.
QF is aligned with West Jet. My work mate was there 3 months ago with QF International flight and AC conx internally. Baggage was a nightmare and no support from AC ground staff to locate bags

Reactions: Chalkie

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada

Clearing customs at YVR is straightforward. Delays only occur if multiple big plane loads arrive in close proximity to each other. The other big unknown right now is whether the timing of things like baggage handling will improve.

Personally I'd not do less than 4 hours for a connection. This allows an hour for customs clearance and then checking in for your next flight, clearing security, etc, and gives a bit of a buffer in case of problems.

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
@retread, you probably mentioned earlier , but where are you travelling and is it with kids?
It’s taken us a couple of trips to realise (yes, we are slow) that the stress in getting to a place (in our case, sunpeaks) is much less if we overnight in Vancouver and get the first flight to kamloops the next day.
My wife and I have our own gear but we rent for the kids.
Getting rental skis and boots is much easier with fresh kids rather than sleep deprived racing to rent and getting tired and grumpy jet lagged children home in the dark. Worth sacrificing a day for …
It just works better for us. You may be different.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
A lot easier to change it now than deal with the mess on the day. You could easily miss the connection while still over the Pacific. Slight headwind has a big effect over 15+ hours. And YVR has had multi hour waits lately as it hasn't been able to rehire all the laid off workers post Covid. Might be solved by then, might not.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC

The shortest amount of time I have ever had in arriving internationally to YVR and getting processed & on to the Domestic gate I needed has been about 35 minutes..... & that was a "goldilocks run" as a resident, NO checked bags, & on a good day with a flight arriving ex USA at a non peak period & pre pandemic.

8:30 am arrival is smack in the middle of YVR "rush hour" ..... You could well be sharing Customs / Immigration with well over 2,000 people at that time.

No way in hell you're getting processed & at your domestic gate in under 90 minutes unless you have your very own goldilocks run,.... But bear in mind you could burn an extra 15 - 20+ minutes waiting for any oversized luggage AFTER you've waited for your normal luggage.

Like Sly says ^^^^ .... Spend the time now & make the change..... 90 mins international transfer in this instance at YVR is pure BS.

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Cant recall if Kamloops is an International airport. If it is (like Kelowna) then at least you wouldn't have to collect and recheck your luggage.
Although pretty unlikely that your luggage would arrive in Kamloops at the same time as you. :) :)

Captain Caveman

One of Us
Sep 24, 2020
Cant recall if Kamloops is an International airport. If it is (like Kelowna) then at least you wouldn't have to collect and recheck your luggage.
Although pretty unlikely that your luggage would arrive in Kamloops at the same time as you. :) :)
It's a regional Airport only.
There are some upgrades coming but only to the taxiways and runway and to upgrade snow removal equipment.

Reactions: SnowRabbit

Libelle

Hard Yards
Nov 19, 2009
Canberra
The shortest amount of time I have ever had in arriving internationally to YVR and getting processed & on to the Domestic gate I needed has been about 35 minutes..... & that was a "goldilocks run" as a resident, NO checked bags, & on a good day with a flight arriving ex USA at a non peak period & pre pandemic.

8:30 am arrival is smack in the middle of YVR "rush hour" ..... You could well be sharing Customs / Immigration with well over 2,000 people at that time.

No way in hell you're getting processed & at your domestic gate in under 90 minutes unless you have your very own goldilocks run,.... But bear in mind you could burn an extra 15 - 20+ minutes waiting for any oversized luggage AFTER you've waited for your normal luggage.

Like Sly says ^^^^ .... Spend the time now & make the change..... 90 mins international transfer in this instance at YVR is pure BS.
Air Canada made a change on my itinerary (Jan2023) for my Bris-Van flight, but also changed my Van - Kelowna connection to 90 minutes. Wasn't comfortable with that, rang and had it changed back to the original 4hrs. Don't need the stress...

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2019
Hi all. Anyone know about necessary layover time in YVR coming back to Oz?
Booked on AC. Kelowna to Sydney via YVR.
We have a 2 hour layover in YVR.
I’m thinking that should be ok if our bags go all the way through but not if we need to recheck bags.
Any experience/thoughts?

retread

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2010
Mortdale
@retread, you probably mentioned earlier , but where are you travelling and is it with kids?
It’s taken us a couple of trips to realise (yes, we are slow) that the stress in getting to a place (in our case, sunpeaks) is much less if we overnight in Vancouver and get the first flight to kamloops the next day.
My wife and I have our own gear but we rent for the kids.
Getting rental skis and boots is much easier with fresh kids rather than sleep deprived racing to rent and getting tired and grumpy jet lagged children home in the dark. Worth sacrificing a day for …
It just works better for us. You may be different.
My kids will be 15 and 20 for this trip. Probably still be tired and grumpy though.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass