Travel Life 2022/2023 - Canada Plans

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Hi all. Anyone know about necessary layover time in YVR coming back to Oz?
Booked on AC. Kelowna to Sydney via YVR.
We have a 2 hour layover in YVR.
I’m thinking that should be ok if our bags go all the way through but not if we need to recheck bags.
Any experience/thoughts?
Your bags will be checked right through to SYD. All you have to do at YVR is walk over to International terminal. Which, unlike LAX or SYD, does not require you to go outside security, catch a bus or other such nonsense. Two hours is ample time for the procedural stuff. But in winter, there is reasonable risk of delay of your regional flight YLW to YVR that could eat into the 2 hour window.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
@retread, you probably mentioned earlier , but where are you travelling and is it with kids?
It’s taken us a couple of trips to realise (yes, we are slow) that the stress in getting to a place (in our case, sunpeaks) is much less if we overnight in Vancouver and get the first flight to kamloops the next day.
My wife and I have our own gear but we rent for the kids.
Getting rental skis and boots is much easier with fresh kids rather than sleep deprived racing to rent and getting tired and grumpy jet lagged children home in the dark. Worth sacrificing a day for …
It just works better for us. You may be different.
We are in this camp as well, I’m not one for jumping off a 14 hour flight and either driving or rushing for a transfer.

Much prefer to drop the bags and head for a hotel, preferably with something close that I can wander about with little thought. We also spend a touch more the first night to get a more spacious and comfortable hotel so we aren’t on top of each other.

Trying Granville Island this time (two rooms so kids don’t share), last time we used the Argonaut in San Fran which was amazing!

Reactions: Roymond

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Air Canada have begun their “let’s change flight details” game with me. Firstly, they decided to cancel the 11.00am ish departure time from Brisbane to Canberra on our return trip (with Qantas) and put us on a 4pm flight instead. Much as I’d love to sit around Brisbane airport for 8 hours after a long international flight, I’ve re-routed back via Sydney. More concerningly, we are scheduled to arrive in YVR ex Brisbane at 6.35am and are now scheduled to make the connection to Kelowna at 8.20am (instead of the original time of 9.15am). I really don’t like our chances of making that …. I do recall the last time we flew into YVR it was a very quick transfer (the flight to Kelowna was delayed due to the number of incoming passengers on the inevitably late AC flight from Sydney - in other words, they held the plane) with AC staff marshalling us quickly into a special lane and shoving us through ASAP. Baggage went straight through to Kelowna from Canberra - I think we just had to do customs declarations on the incoming flight.

I’m also a bit worried about the flight times and the impact on my fatigue levels. Early rise in Canberra to catch the first flight to Brisbane, then a 14 hour flight from Brisbane departing 11am AEST, arriving in YVR around 1am AEST (so little chance for sleep, not that I get much on planes anyway), then a hurried transfer to Kelowna, then pick up the car at the airport (hoping our bags have made it) and drive two and a half hours to Revelstoke. What could possibly go wrong? :eek: I’m actually wondering if I should a) try and get a later flight to ensure I get that connection, and b) book into a motel in Vernon or similar to get a few hours sleep before attempting the drive to Revie. Thoughts?

• Sad
Reactions: Libelle and Roymond

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Air Canada have begun their “let’s change flight details” game with me. Firstly, they decided to cancel the 11.00am ish departure time from Brisbane to Canberra on our return trip (with Qantas) and put us on a 4pm flight instead. Much as I’d love to sit around Brisbane airport for 8 hours after a long international flight, I’ve re-routed back via Sydney. More concerningly, we are scheduled to arrive in YVR ex Brisbane at 6.35am and are now scheduled to make the connection to Kelowna at 8.20am (instead of the original time of 9.15am). I really don’t like our chances of making that …. I do recall the last time we flew into YVR it was a very quick transfer (the flight to Kelowna was delayed due to the number of incoming passengers on the inevitably late AC flight from Sydney - in other words, they held the plane) with AC staff marshalling us quickly into a special lane and shoving us through ASAP. Baggage went straight through to Kelowna from Canberra - I think we just had to do customs declarations on the incoming flight.

I’m also a bit worried about the flight times and the impact on my fatigue levels. Early rise in Canberra to catch the first flight to Brisbane, then a 14 hour flight from Brisbane departing 11am AEST, arriving in YVR around 1am AEST (so little chance for sleep, not that I get much on planes anyway), then a hurried transfer to Kelowna, then pick up the car at the airport (hoping our bags have made it) and drive two and a half hours to Revelstoke. What could possibly go wrong? :eek: I’m actually wondering if I should a) try and get a later flight to ensure I get that connection, and b) book into a motel in Vernon or similar to get a few hours sleep before attempting the drive to Revie. Thoughts?
My wife an I have developed a motto that has helped immeasurably.

"Life is too short to choose to be stressed".

Arent you travelling for 4 weeks ? One day wont make or break your trip but taking a day to kill the jetlag will help you recover a bit faster.
Take a break. Take a breath.
Curse AC (just because that's fun and you can feel connected with the rest of the skiing universe that are all cursing at the same time) and have a look around Kelowna for an overnight.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra

Arent you travelling for 4 weeks ? One day wont make or break your trip but taking a day to kill the jetlag will help you recover a bit faster.
Curse AC (just because that's fun and you can feel connected with the rest of the skiing universe that are all cursing at the same time) and have a look around Kelowna for an overnight.
Just under three weeks in total :). I did think about the option you’ve suggested, which is eminently sensible. However we start our trip at Revelstoke which is only 4 nights. Taking one night out from our current itinerary reduces our stay there by a day. I could book into a Vernon/Kelowna motel for one night, I guess, and plan an early departure the next morning. We’ll need to allow time to do some shopping en route too. Hmmm …..

Reactions: Roymond
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
There’s some good ski shops in Kelowna, not so much Vernon.
The drive to Vernon is quite nice through the Lakeside area if you haven’t done it before. You have plenty of Motel options at either city along the main drag.

Reactions: Lady Penelope

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC

4 Points right across the road from the entrance to Kelowna Airport. Rooms are decent, price is decent. You're right on the highway ready for the off the next day.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
4 Points right across the road from the entrance to Kelowna Airport. Rooms are decent, price is decent. You're right on the highway ready for the off the next day.
With the added bonus of not having to drive through 216 sets of traffic lights to get into the city centre.

Reactions: sly_karma

Libelle

Hard Yards
Nov 19, 2009
Canberra

Thanks LP, hmm yes, I had my 11.00am Bris to Canberra (1 Mar 2023) moved to 4pm a week ago.. Went and did a dummy Q booking at the time, it looks like the culprit is Q, as was no direct Canberra flights during the middle of the day. Doing a check today seems now flights at 09:00, 11:05, and 13:50 available. Might be time for another (3rd) call to AC.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Thanks LP, hmm yes, I had my 11.00am Bris to Canberra (1 Mar 2023) moved to 4pm a week ago.. Went and did a dummy Q booking at the time, it looks like the culprit is Q, as was no direct Canberra flights during the middle of the day. Doing a check today seems now flights at 09:00, 11:05, and 13:50 available. Might be time for another (3rd) call to AC.
Good luck!

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Any idea what their availability is like in early to mid January, @sly_karma ? In other words, if I rock up without a booking, I’m wondering if they will have a room available. Either way, might book in advance, even if we just spend a few hours there catching some zzzzz .

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Any idea what their availability is like in early to mid January, @sly_karma ? In other words, if I rock up without a booking, I’m wondering if they will have a room available. Either way, might book in advance, even if we just spend a few hours there catching some zzzzz .

It's mid winter,.... & for that airport Motel, it will be their busy season if for weather factors alone, but also because it stages many early departers & late evening arrivals.

Rocking up on a wing & a prayer would be ill advised in this instance,.... Make the booking and take chance out of the equation.

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
We dropped @scullee there for a night when he departed us in Feb this year.
Im sure he has said the accom next to Kelowna airport was fine though Im certain he can provide more details.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010

I love that saying, so true!

Just under three weeks in total :). I did think about the option you’ve suggested, which is eminently sensible. However we start our trip at Revelstoke which is only 4 nights. Taking one night out from our current itinerary reduces our stay there by a day. I could book into a Vernon/Kelowna motel for one night, I guess, and plan an early departure the next morning. We’ll need to allow time to do some shopping en route too. Hmmm …..

I remember your face as you rolled into Silver star and that was a short drive from Kelowna. Handing you that glass of red was like I had handed you free tickets for a month.

My 2 cents, if you drive to Revie you will be knackered, will you really ski all of day 1? From memory the boys don’t do mornings at the best of times. You could stop in Vernon and drive to Revie in the morning and still ski that day

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Edit your boys will sleep in the car
They will, and if I’m not careful, so will I! Yes the drive to Silver Star was much shorter; we stopped at Save on Foods in Vernon to do some shopping and the youngest did a dramatic collapse in the canned veggie aisle declaring he was having a ”complete mental breakdown”. That was a fun day (plus discovering the older boy hadn’t bothered to pack the jeans I had carefully left out for him at home),

Reactions: Telezacski

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
They will, and if I’m not careful, so will I! Yes the drive to Silver Star was much shorter; we stopped at Save on Foods in Vernon to do some shopping and the youngest did a dramatic collapse in the canned veggie aisle declaring he was having a ”complete mental breakdown”. That was a fun day (plus discovering the older boy hadn’t bothered to pack the jeans I had carefully left out for him at home),
You know my thoughts.

You can always do the shopping and leave it in the car, it’s not like the car won’t be colder than a fridge over night!

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Okay....our fav hotel in Chilliwack has closed down, anyone have any recommendation for another. Have stayed at the Hampton Inn up the road a bit and it was shit.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Okay....our fav hotel in Chilliwack has closed down
What?!?!?!?!? Say it ain't so mama.

The only othe place I've stayed in Chilliwack is the Coast. About 5-6 minutes off the freeway.

Plenty of choices in Abbotsford too, about 15 minutes less driving after your flight. The Coast there was pretty good too, although it's been a few years. Only 2 minutes off the freeway if that matters. Both places had decent in house dining.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Agree with MS on this one. Not much winter slowdown for this hotel as people use it as a park & stay before early morning flight to their winter break destination. Even though we live a bit over an hour away, lots of our friends routinely stay there the night before a Mexico flight in case there's an early morning problem on the bridge or an overnight dump of snow on the highway south of Kelowna.

Kelowna is a busy regional airport, and its draw extends out for several hours' driving radius. Not unusual for Kamloops folk to use it due to more connections options and direct flights. Those people are all likely patrons of the Four Points. It's been busy since the day it opened. Book something.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
What?!?!?!?!? Say it ain't so mama.

The only othe place I've stayed in Chilliwack is the Coast. About 5-6 minutes off the freeway.

Plenty of choices in Abbotsford too, about 15 minutes less driving after your flight. The Coast there was pretty good too, although it's been a few years. Only 2 minutes off the freeway if that matters. Both places had decent in house dining.
Yes it is so, thinking of the Comfort inn, but will check out the Coast thanks.

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Just having a look at my Aeroplan Account and I've noticed that my points expire at the end of this September. I haven't received any notification from Aeroplan/Air Canada re this.
According to the website the points expire after 18 months with no activity.
18 months back from September would be around March 2021. I certainly wouldn't have had any activity back then.
Just wondering would this have been triggered when Aeroplan came back under Air Canada's umbrella.
With no flights planned before September does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the points from expiring?
Has anyone transferred points to another member and then had points transferred back. Would that work? There appears to be a small fee to do this.

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002
Thought I'd ask in here, though I'm not going in winter.

Best way to get from Vancouver to Whistler - bus? With bike bag?

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Just having a look at my Aeroplan Account and I've noticed that my points expire at the end of this September. I haven't received any notification from Aeroplan/Air Canada re this.
According to the website the points expire after 18 months with no activity.
18 months back from September would be around March 2021. I certainly wouldn't have had any activity back then.
Just wondering would this have been triggered when Aeroplan came back under Air Canada's umbrella.
With no flights planned before September does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the points from expiring?
Has anyone transferred points to another member and then had points transferred back. Would that work? There appears to be a small fee to do this.
Have you checked the Freq Flyer website?
QF extended the status level of members for 12?, 18? Months because of CV19. I think points preservation was also included. Maybe AC have done similar.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
For those interested the WHL should release the schedules for the 22-23 hockey season this week.
So only the first round appears to have been released, preseason was released earlier, looking at last year the full draw should come out in the next month

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass