2022 New gear acquisition thread

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
I find most people seem to severely over estimate the price of ski gear on MP. There is an awful amount of shit on there.....or maybe I'm just too fussy.
The biggest bargain I got on MP was for a SkiersEdge machine. Perfect condition, over $3000 new, for just $300!!
Definitely a lot of shit to wade through.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Zacette has missed out on upgrades over the last few years but scored pretty well this year.

She picked up a set of Fischer Curve skis, not an out and out race ski but draws a lot of the tech from fisher race department and are very similar widths.

She also upgraded the shell and won’t be missed on the Mountain!

Yuki threads jacket and Rojo pants

012F037A-936F-4280-86A9-C7046868E136.jpeg
DBBAD6FF-8FB8-4263-9513-E59D27BDADF2.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
New daypack

F0D0B4EA-8891-4E2A-951F-D6CC044C79F5.jpeg

and tried on this,

didn’t buy but I don’t think I’ll be able to resist. Love how Mont jackets fit me, I have 4 already LOL

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
New daypack

and tried on this,

didn’t buy but I don’t think I’ll be able to resist. Love how Mont jackets fit me, I have 4 already LOL
I love the Osprey packs! I bought the Talon 11L pack last year, which was a great size to carry a water bladder, plus some sunscreen and a couple of pairs of spare socks and gloves/mitts (mainly for the kids).

I decided that the fit of the arm and harness straps wasn’t quite right on my build, so I decided the other day to order the Tempest 11L pack instead. Hopefully being a women’s specific build, it fits a bit more comfortably. Mstr 13 or Mstr 11 can have the Talon pack. Although I’ll probably have to buy another Talon pack for whichever kid doesn’t get the one I already have.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
New daypack

I love the Osprey packs! I bought the Talon 11L pack last year, which was a great size to carry a water bladder, plus some sunscreen and a couple of pairs of spare socks and gloves/mitts (mainly for the kids).

I decided that the fit of the arm and harness straps wasn’t quite right on my build, so I decided the other day to order the Tempest 11L pack instead. Hopefully being a women’s specific build, it fits a bit more comfortably. Mstr 13 or Mstr 11 can have the Talon pack. Although I’ll probably have to buy another Talon pack for whichever kid doesn’t get the one I already have.

I picked up the Osprey Kamber 16 not too long ago for a very specific reason - it allows me to carry one snowboard between the bag and my back (with reinforced wear points) and one vertically on the front of the pack, so I can have my hands free for kid wrangling.

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
I picked up the Osprey Kamber 16 not too long ago for a very specific reason - it allows me to carry one snowboard between the bag and my back (with reinforced wear points) and one vertically on the front of the pack, so I can have my hands free for kid wrangling.
That is a very smart idea! Part of me has been wondering if I can use the elastic webbing on the front of the Tempest 9 to carry a pair of skis, specifically Mstr 11’s. He always cracks the sads about carrying skis at the end of the day. I’d tell him to carry his own gear, but it’s easier to just do it for him than put up with the autistic overload/meltdown.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
That is a very smart idea! Part of me has been wondering if I can use the elastic webbing on the front of the Tempest 9 to carry a pair of skis, specifically Mstr 11’s. He always cracks the sads about carrying skis at the end of the day. I’d tell him to carry his own gear, but it’s easier to just do it for him than put up with the autistic overload/meltdown.

There's a time and a place for Teaching Moments, and emotional exhaustion doesn't lend itself to paying attention. My nezumini was 4 when I bought the pack, so expectations of carrying their own gear were rather low to start :D

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
There's a time and a place for Teaching Moments, and emotional exhaustion doesn't lend itself to paying attention. My nezumini was 4 when I bought the pack, so expectations of carrying their own gear were rather low to start :D
Yeah, my expectations of Mstr 11 carrying gear have always been low. It was easier for the two seasons he wanted to learn to snowboard, but as he never progressed away from the beginners area and the rest of us ski, he decided it was easier to learn to ski so he could keep up with the rest of the family.

On the plus side, Mstr 11 at least offered to carry everyone else’s poles last year while either hubby or myself were carrying two sets of skis. Mstr 13 was quite happily carrying his own gear last year and would walk ahead to wherever we needed to be while Mstr 11 and all the other gear were being wrangled. :)

Reactions: nezumi

lewis

One of Us
Jan 25, 2018
At $12.48 for lined waterproof gloves. Bargain.
Unless its neg 8 and sideways snow. They are good to go in 95% of Australian conditions.
Are they any good for if your hands are sweating? Or only for keeping water out?

Me+3

One of Us
Jun 26, 2014
At $12.48 for lined waterproof gloves. Bargain.
Unless its neg 8 and sideways snow. They are good to go in 95% of Australian conditions.
have also found the Aldi liner gloves with touchscreen tips are equal in comfort....
but struggle with cold winds...
I wear them on most days other than when it's inclement.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Are they any good for if your hands are sweating? Or only for keeping water out?
My hands sweat in every glove when its warm. I also wear pipe gloves in spring.
Best thing with these. You wash them and they dry in 20 mins.

Reactions: lewis

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
I've been very cold the last week or so, I decided being warm is far more important than new skis and ski boots, I just pulled the trigger on a new Deadbird belay parka; but the semi-cheap synthetic Nuclei SV. Methinks I'd better get some extra time on the Tele skis and hopefully not break my neck.
At least I'll be warm around the campfire

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Peanut

One of Us
Mar 3, 2018
More than that. Just got the gear out for trip to Vic next week. It’s all bloody shrunk.‍
I had a similar experience over the weekend, but instead of it shrinking, all my merino/polypro blend thermals have tiny holes all through them.

I ordered some Macpac geothermal tops and bottoms for click and collect at my local Macpac, only to get a phone call yesterday morning to tell me that 3 of the 4 items I’d ordered had already been sold. I’ll be going in tomorrow morning to see what colours they have in my size in stock and making the best of what they can sell me. Here’s hoping they’re warmer than the Aldi polypro thermals.

Reactions: BoofHead

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Zacette has missed out on upgrades over the last few years but scored pretty well this year.

She picked up a set of Fischer Curve skis, not an out and out race ski but draws a lot of the tech from fisher race department and are very similar widths.

She also upgraded the shell and won’t be missed on the Mountain!

Yuki threads jacket and Rojo pants

012F037A-936F-4280-86A9-C7046868E136.jpeg
DBBAD6FF-8FB8-4263-9513-E59D27BDADF2.jpeg
I got the same colour jacket in the other Yuki style.

Reactions: Telezacski

Dredd

First Runs
Jul 5, 2022
I bought a pair of SALOMON QST PRO 130 TR POMEGRANATE/BLACK.

Used them up at Buller for the last two days and loved them. Perfect fit, no heel lift and super light.

I fitted the downhill toepieces and you wouldn't know they weren't downhill boots. This was coming off some very nice Nordica's that came to the end of their life.

1656994097621.png

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
For the record these are WellsLamont.

Pretty solid glove brand.
I’ve had to source mine via biggestsouthamericanriver.com after bunnos stopped stocking them, where did you source yours from ?

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
Also broke in these too. I'd say they are the perfect Australian Ski. Light, easy edge to edge. Can deal with Buller Ice and slush.

Coming off some Volkl's they were delightful

VANTAGE 90 TI SKI 2020​

1656994267354.png
My son skis these Zero complaints even though I got form this bloke who posts here @Ausskier.

Reactions: Chaeron

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
Hard decision….new gear thread or camp booties thread…
2AC82877-3EA4-4483-9853-FB8BDF17CA8B.jpeg
Funnily enough, I am organising my ski gear today for next weekend and I rediscovered mine. I have the bootie version. I forgot I bought them for last year and didn’t get to use them. My plan is to use them as my car/driving shoe. No laces to drag in the wet dirt. And the thought of getting these bad boys on my feet when I pull my ski boots off back at the car is very appealing.
In fact I have discovered a few items that I have bought and forgot about. Including a Patagonia Nano Puff Hoodie :oops: , 3/4 length Icebreaker merino leggings x4, and various other bits. I don’t remember buying some of the stuff, just thinking that I would like to buy it. I’m feeling like it’s my birthday.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using