2030 Winter Olympics

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
The venue for the 2030 Winter Olympics is to be decided in the next 12 months. With the most recent games in Asia (Pyeonchang 2018, Beijing 2022) and Europe (Milano 2026), it seems reasonable that the 2030 games would go to a venue in the Americas. The only declared bidder so far is Vancouver, with Salt Lake City likely to move its focus to the 2034 Olympiad due to the proximity of the 2028 LA summer games.

No secret that the IOC has struggled to get bids in recent years, the games have become crazy expensive to host. They're starting to run short of aspirational nations wanting to show off, and most of the G20 are put off by the ever powerful NIMBY lobby.

So... Vancouver again? Only 20 years between drinks is almost back-to-back by Olympics standards. But the bid drips with today's sensibilities: led by a confederation of four First Nations, lots of recycled venues, light eco footprint.

Of interest to this forum is that most of the skiing and snowboarding events won't be in Whistler. The word we are hearing is they are being decentralized to other BC resorts due to the crazy cost of real estate in Whistler and Vancouver (athlete villages from 2010 were sold off as condos in the year after the games as part of the funding plan). VR has little interest in a repeat Games and all the disruption it brings to the important business of selling tickets to punters. The sliding events and Nordic events would be in the Whistler area as these venues are still very much up to current standards.

At this time, the probable alpine venue for the 2030 bid is Panorama. They've been a well established race training venue for years, and hosted world cup ladies speed events way back in the 80s and have been a regular stop on the NorAm circuit for years. This March they're holding the Junior Worlds in all alpine disciplines. Proximity to Calgary and the Rockies gives them access to a deep pool of experienced volunteers, many go straight from Lake Louise world cup to Pano for NorAm speed events.

Cypress and its snow woes were a black eye for the 2010 games and they won't take that risk again. The likely venue for freestyle is Apex, already the official training base for the national moguls and aerials teams, and host to world cup events in the mid 2000s. Existing snowmaking already makes Apex the first aerials site open worldwide most seasons, with mogul site right behind. Mid season snow for the games won't be an issue. The existing pipe hasn't been maintained in recent years, but holds an excellent location at village level same as the aerials and moguls courses - no lift ride required for spectators.

The big shortcoming for both Apex and Pano is off snow facilities and logistics. Apex in particular is short on rental housing. Most places are owned by families who use their cabin/condo every weekend and don't rent it out. Pano is better on this front, but still won't have nearly enough beds to host the huge load of media and fans that go to Olympics. Apex events will see almost all athletes and volunteers housed in Penticton and surrounds, 35 km away and 1400 m lower. The steep, twisting road will be severely overcapacity. For Pano, a lot of people will have to be housed in tiny Invermere, just 4000 people. A lot of summer cabins will have to be made winter-habitable. Beyond that, Invermere and the Windemere Valley area aren't easy to get to in global terms. Nearest airport is Cranbrook, at least 90 minutes away. Calgary is closest international terminus, 4 hours driving through real mountains.

Good airport in Penticton (40 minutes) and plenty of accommodation options as the area is a busy summer tourism hub. Kelowna is an hour further and its airport has international facilities. Still, it's 400 km from the official host city of the games, and Pano is over 950 km from Vancouver!

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
I lived at Pano for nearly a year back in the mid 90s (last year of the 'old' Pano before the Day Lodge was blown up and fancy condos overtook the old timeshare condos) and have been back to visit once since for a ski trip. I remember the Korean Ski team came in training for a few weeks before the hill opened fully (it was a very early and big season). As you say Sly, I really can't see Pano and Invermere hosting something as big as the Olympics... the road up to Pano is so tiny and the Pano donut is still a thing. I really desperately hope this possibility doesn't fire up the Jumbo debate again... Perhaps a central area such as Lake Louise, with events held all through that Valley and across the Rockies into Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Pano and Fernie would work. That way, Banff could shoulder a lot of the accom too. One thing for sure - the Olympics would never have been held in such a spectacular location as the Rockies and across Kootenay NP into the Purcells :love:

Reactions: whether
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Santiago, Chile interested? The road up to Valle Nevado might put a few off though. Imagine budget would be a big issue also.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
If Wikipedia is correct, serious ones are Barcelona-Pyrenees, Vancouver and Sapporo:rolleyes:?. Vancouver hosted Winter Olympics "recently". A lot of Olympics were held in East Asia (Korea in 2018, Tokyo in 2020, China in 2022). Considering it, Barcelona-Pyrenees are the most likely?. But 2026 = Italy, right?. A bit too close?. Local media say Alpine skiing events are held in Niseko if Sapporo wins. A lot of Chinese rich companies & people are investing in Niseko region. Chinese money would affect ICO? Who knows:rolleyes:
O.PNG

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I read somewhere that Japan are considering
NBC and their billions would walk away if the games went to an Asian venue, that would be three times in four rounds. The time zone is awful for nth american viewers and it's been a very long time since they were held in a traditional winter resort. Yes Japan does have winter cred, but needs to wait a bit longer.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I lived at Pano for nearly a year back in the mid 90s (last year of the 'old' Pano before the Day Lodge was blown up and fancy condos overtook the old timeshare condos) and have been back to visit once since for a ski trip. I remember the Korean Ski team came in training for a few weeks before the hill opened fully (it was a very early and big season). As you say Sly, I really can't see Pano and Invermere hosting something as big as the Olympics... the road up to Pano is so tiny and the Pano donut is still a thing. I really desperately hope this possibility doesn't fire up the Jumbo debate again... Perhaps a central area such as Lake Louise, with events held all through that Valley and across the Rockies into Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Pano and Fernie would work. That way, Banff could shoulder a lot of the accom too. One thing for sure - the Olympics would never have been held in such a spectacular location as the Rockies and across Kootenay NP into the Purcells :love:
Ummm, Nakiska was the alpine venue for 1988, classic Rockies views there.

Pano has made impressive investments to develop itself into a seriously well thought out venue for alpine training and racing. On-hill infrastructure lacks for little these days, but as you say, housing and road are the Achilles heel. The other thing would be the sheer distance from Vancouver. 850 km is a bit much. Would be like Melbourne getting the summer games and holding some events in Sydney. (Not like that happens, sport events go to Melbourne and never emerge again.)

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Well Victoria are currently putting forward a bid for the 2030 Commonwealth Games based on a conglomeration of regional cities. My idea is the Okanagan could do the same, although would not have the same benefits of reuse, ecolight and cheap due to not using existing facilities of Vancouver.

Would Penticton and Apex locals really want it? It's a less known quieter ski area with skiing as good as many of the big destinations and from what I can tell (based on 0 experience of the place) has avoided the fall out of the season pass wars between Ikon and Epic. Would it run the risk of ruining the place by making it too popular afterwards?

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
What are the big dollar venue costs? Bearing in mind that a region bidding for the games should have reasonable base level infrastructure and ski areas with snowmaking etc.

Sliding and Speed Skating seem to be the main ones that would need to be built for $$$

Reactions: Annabuzzy

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
What are the big dollar venue costs? Bearing in mind that a region bidding for the games should have reasonable base level infrastructure and ski areas with snowmaking etc.

Sliding and Speed Skating seem to be the main ones that would need to be built for $$$
Yeh I'm thinking regional in terms of base city (ie not a metro) but you'd expect it to still have a pretty substantial ski destination behind it.

That said Lake Placid (obviously a long time ago) and Albertville have both done it and had little more than country town sized populations behind it, not to mention Squaw Valley. Tahoe area as a whole is another one.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
That said Lake Placid (obviously a long time ago) and Albertville have both done it and had little more than country town sized populations behind it, not to mention Squaw Valley. Tahoe area as a whole is another one.
Albertville has a couple of valleys up the road which host some of the world's most impressive ski infrastructure!

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
What about Calgary and Vancouver co-hosting? Between them and surrounding ski resorts there’d surely be enough legacy infrastructure to have a good running start at hosting wouldn’t there?

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Ummm, Nakiska was the alpine venue for 1988, classic Rockies views there.
Yeah, I get that (there and Canmore). But still not a patch on the drive through Kootenay to Radium, then up and down the entire Windy-Columbia Valley. It really is something else through there. I need to get back! A friend is the GM of Banff Springs Hotel these days, I should make that trip sometime soon :D

Reactions: sly_karma

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
Yeah, I get that (there and Canmore). But still not a patch on the drive through Kootenay to Radium, then up and down the entire Windy-Columbia Valley. It really is something else through there. I need to get back! A friend is the GM of Banff Springs Hotel these days, I should make that trip sometime soon :D
We had dinner with the CEO of Banff Springs Hotel at Chateau lake Louise last week.
Also, drove LL to Fernie yesterday through kootenay. Stoped for a swim at Radium Hots Springs.
Great drive third time this trip.
All the resorts need a top up however the chutes and bowls at Lake Louise have been our playground for the last two weeks.
Lots and lots of ski resorts with enough infrastructure across BC and Alberta to hold world cups and Olympics.
Spread it out, save money make it fun.
I’m over the political expansion of the Olympics. Take it back to its roots. Keep it simple. Make it a skiing and winter sports event for athletes and fans.

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Almaty, capital of Kazakhstan narrowly lost to Beijing for 2022. Likely to bid again for 2030 O's.

It's a weird dictatorship in the 'stans so there's political instability but also willingness to throw a few billion at a propaganda event.
IOC , FIFA etc don't give a shit (see: Beijing 2022 and Qatar 2022 World Cup) but more accountable countries baulk at the expense.

Almaty's slogan was “Keeping it Real” and they have actual mountains and real snow. Also shooting and political upheaval.

Val Desire

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2018
Lindfield NSW
Next one going to be split between big metro Milan and Dolomites (Cortina). Two completely different admin areas of Italy - Lombardy and Veneto. So looks like the way forward. Share the love!

Reactions: BlueHue

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Given the lack of snow in Sochi (a Black Sea beach resort) and Beijing, I wouldn't rule out the 2030 Winter Olympics being somewhere ridiculous like Jamaica (they competed so they should be allowed to bid)
Perisher/Thredbo!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass