21 yr old working in Canada ski resort

*Xena*

Hard Yards
Sep 25, 2008
Gold Coast
Hi all, can anyone link me to info about how a 21 yr old with no particular skills (other than sales & marketing experience on the job) can get work in a ski resort in Canada? Any experiences to impart? Any suggestions, preferences or stories? Thanks in advance.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Hi all, can anyone link me to info about how a 21 yr old with no particular skills (other than sales & marketing experience on the job) can get work in a ski resort in Canada? Any experiences to impart? Any suggestions, preferences or stories? Thanks in advance.
The vast majority of resort jobs are not highly skilled. Food, beverage, retail, lift operations etc are the typical seasonal jobs young people do. It's all about having a good attitude, being friendly and displaying common sense and enthusiasm.

*Xena*

Hard Yards
Sep 25, 2008
Gold Coast
I did a search & only found a thread about gap year. Sorry. If I could figure out how to delete I would.

jakes47

Hard Yards
May 21, 2009
Western Australia
My son is a year into his 2 yr work visa. It was my understanding that it was not possible to get a work visa without a guarantee of employment so he went through "The Working Holiday Club". They arranged employment, accommodation and a visa (for a fee). The first season he worked mostly on the lifts at Whistler but also got his snow mobile licence. Towards the end of the season he found a summer job in the same area. He is loving it.

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
Get visa, turn up. Find job. Lots of ski resorts are transient so always jobs going if you're prepared to do snything
this.
Pick a resort you want to spend the season.
Make it work.
Did it in a multitude of countries including here. As long as you have the funds to tide you over for a month, it never failed me.
In Canada there are jobs everywhere after Christmas. People move on, people don't work out etc.
Try find something that doesn't involve working just daylight hours.
Kitchens are good.

Reactions: sly_karma

WaitAwhile

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 29, 2012
Perth/part time resident of Jindabyne

SparkyJoe

First Runs
Apr 4, 2017
It doesn't mention the $999 fee the Working Holiday Club charge for setting you up with the job in that add. I made an inquiry directly with Silver Star resort regarding summer as I am planning to go over for the summer next year and to get a job for their winter season after that and I have been told just send in my resume in March for their summer positions.

Reactions: blowfin

thebutterman

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2009
1. Apply for a visa
2. Figure out which mountains you want to work at
3. Go to said mountains website and find their employment page
4. Apply for job
5. Repeat until someone offers you a job

Alternatively, get a visa and just turn up to a ski town and try and find a job. Usually October is a good time to do that, any later and jobs will start to become thin on the ground.

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
1. Apply for a visa
4. Apply for job

Alternatively, get a visa and just turn up to a ski town and try and find a job. Usually October is a good time to do that, any later and jobs will start to become thin on the ground***
***until after Christmas when positions open up again. Always happens with staff turnover for a variety of reasons.
Agree with the rest BTW.
Pick resort. Go there. Never failed me.

1. Apply for a visa
4. Apply for job

Alternatively, get a visa and just turn up to a ski town and try and find a job. Usually October is a good time to do that, any later and jobs will start to become thin on the ground.

yep, it's been this way forever. The other thing that also hasn't changed is that getting a job won't be your biggest challenge - finding a place to live for a reasonable will be. Job fairs are on now - Fairmont in Whistler just advertised this week and they offer accom. If you have a Visa organised and hospo experience, you could do a lot worse than working for them.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Pick a resort near(ish) the base town. Accoms cheaper and far more available there so once you get a job you can commute up, not hard to find rides. Typically motels are hurting for business in winter and will open their rooms for monthly rental. Once you're working you'll meet people and hear of opportunities for on hill housing and can jump across from there. So under that premise, SP and BW (min. 45 minute drive) wouldn't work as well as KH, Pano, Fernie (max 20 minute drive).

Like PK said, there's often a big staff turnover just after the Christmas break, rooms and jobs open up at this time. Independent on mountain businesses are barely thinking about hiring in October, more next month. Get there mid November and you'll have people around to hit up for work.

Reactions: The Plowking

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Yep it works for fairly well hitching and there's plenty of near-empty motels there in winter. Same could be said for Apex although the drive is 30 minutes. But lots of staff travel up daily so rides should be easy to arrange. Somewhat larger towns like Penticton and Vernon can get a bit tricky because people are spread out, sometimes getting to the hitch spot can be harder than the actual hitchhiking.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass