Observations 21st-27th June Alpine Observations

Rat trap bindings

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2017
I’m seeing a pretty reasonable start at Thredbo, winds in the village light so far with light cloud cover (4 octas at 6,000 IMO) and certainly the drenching of two days ago did little damage and @Polland the lift queues where not insane or was it a ploy to keep everyone away
B2C2E582-F431-4DE8-BF01-3D66A1DF6988.jpeg

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
I'll get it back on topic. It's absolutely foul at Buller again. Windy, damp, no visibility, generally miserable! Amazing how many days have had good visibility and even bluebird at most of the other big resorts when it's been socked in Monday to Friday every week of the season so far at Buller. But we do have snow on the ground which is the main thing.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I'll get it back on topic. It's absolutely foul at Buller again. Windy, damp, no visibility, generally miserable! Amazing how many days have had good visibility and even bluebird at most of the other big resorts when it's been socked in Monday to Friday every week of the season so far at Buller. But we do have snow on the ground which is the main thing.
More a prediction. However looking at the sat pic. This may continue for awhile.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Polland

Addicted
Aug 2, 2013
Wamberal NSW
I’m seeing a pretty reasonable start at Thredbo, winds in the village light so far with light cloud cover (4 octas at 6,000 IMO) and certainly the drenching of two days ago did little damage and @Polland the lift queues where not insane or was it a ploy to keep everyone away
B2C2E582-F431-4DE8-BF01-3D66A1DF6988.jpeg

haha i thought you could see the queue behind me in the pic with no one around .

Reactions: Rat trap bindings

Star_Hawk

Obsessed with Stats
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2022
Heading down to thredbo soonish, from the cams the cover at the bottom of kosi chair looks pretty rough, especially with the rain in the last few days. For anyone down there are how bad are the conditions on the lower runs?

Reactions: Guthega Girl

Polland

Addicted
Aug 2, 2013
Wamberal NSW
Heading down to thredbo soonish, from the cams the cover at the bottom of kosi chair looks pretty rough, especially with the rain in the last few days. For anyone down there are how bad are the conditions on the lower runs?
it’s super windy today so getting anywhere will be challenging - gunbarrel is still open at the moment and the double chair but stopping frequently.
bottom of runs are fine, but soft, no crowds

Undies

Superspreadin the lurve
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
Pretty soggy at Perisher.

Wind and mizzle all day. No snow that I’ve seen, just lots of soggy peeps. Hoping it gets colder soon.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
25mm of rain in the last 24 hours for Buller.
I'm not sure I believe this. If you are looking at the BoM AWS reading then that number has been continually going up for days even when it's not been raining here. Maybe it rained a lot overnight and it's working properly now (definitely raining now) but I'm suspicious of that AWS reading at the moment.

Reactions: POW Hungry
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I'm not sure I believe this. If you are looking at the BoM AWS reading then that number has been continually going up for days even when it's not been raining here. Maybe it rained a lot overnight and it's working properly now (definitely raining now) but I'm suspicious of that AWS reading at the moment.
Thanks, that would indicate the the heater on the precip cup is unservicable (snow build-up from days ago is melting into the cup).
BB picked up 8mm and Hotham picked up 12mm so looks moist for the Vic Alps, nonetheless.

4C for Mt William, so I am not seeing any gain above 1800m for Mainland today.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Thanks, that would indicate the the heater on the precip cup is unservicable (snow build-up from days ago is melting into the cup).
Yes this sounds right. If you look on the 22nd when the temperature got down close to freezing the rainfall magically stopped for a few hours with the reading on 18.4mm and then when the temps went up again it started accumulating again.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Early this morning skiing Eyre on Mt Perisher it was extremely windy, with a mix of graupel and misty stuff. Around 11:30pm turned to proper big snowflakes top to bottom in Mt P, which persisted. Unfortunately as it was wettish snow falling in a damp base, not really sticking. clear stuff down below 1800m

Also observed significant snow loss this morning, compared to yesterday in the groomers.

Undies

Superspreadin the lurve
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
Lots of clear stuff falling in Perisher today. It tried to snow for a bit just after lunch, but then gave up and has been washing away cover since. Still lots out there, especially for June, but it's been less than pleasant at times.

Hoping it drops a few degrees real soon and gifts us something on the back end to freshen up the playing surface, otherwise tomorrow could be quite an interesting morning if it freezes tonight. Currently light rain, moderate wind, and mist. Loads of sodden punters everywhere.

Still beats working!

Snowcone

Hard Yards
Jul 15, 2013
Feels like a surprising amount of frozen precipitation has fallen at Hoth this am. Persistent all morning - but currently stopped. Definite “winter mix”. I’m soaked, but not much actual rain.
Plenty of snow on the ground / not much brown. Was pretty good first up but getting slushy now.
Edit: winter mix coming down again.
All in all, I’m pretty happy to be here. (Good pies at Brockhoff Hut observed too.)

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
That’s more like it, temps slowly tending down in the southern alps?

Goski has reported v wet, sleety, windy conditions at the base of lifts at Falls, village side. So, it’s wet down to ~ 1500m

He states, those skiing aren’t missing much today.

Er I mean those NOT skiing are wise. it still looks wet and miserable mist cams except Bawbs, which looks to have 3-5 cm of fresh. At last?

Reactions: Baw Baw Bear
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass