1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

22 Designs Lynx NTN Binding

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by skifree, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

And if the Lynx has the same hole pattern as Outlaws and Axls you can put them on Safeouts for reliable adjustable release.

2. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

True the Lynx does have the same hole pattern as the previous 22 Designs bindings which for many is a big plus.

But why buy a lightweight / touring binding then make it heavy with another bit of kit to get release?

Probably the cost of Lynx (as forecast last Winter) + Safeouts = or > than Meidjo? Might be worth getting these figures together as part of any assessment.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

How attached are you to your knees?

SafeOuts keep me skiing. End of story.

Added:
    If I'd done a grade 3 tear on the MCL last winter, instead of the grade 2, I'd be looking at a knee reco since that side doesn't have an ACL. How much does a reco cost?

4. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

True. So far I have been able to rely on my physical structure being stronger than my ski/binder/boot setup, so its always been kit that breaks (I have broken binders and boots, but never a ski, unless you include pulling the binder out). But I aint getting any younger.

5. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

As aluded to by @Untele-whippet the problem your experiencing is due to a technique issue. Rather than picking your heel up you should be pushing your shin down to break the bellows of your boots. By adopting that change in technique you'll not only ski better on your new gear, but you'll telemark better on every variety of equipment.

Like @Ziggy I'd recommend a lesson. Where do you normally ski? I can recommend someone to book who will help you with your tele turns on all equipment.

6. skifree

I do value my and others knees a lot, hence mentioning Meidjo release compared to Lynx no release often.

Untele-whippet likes this.
  7. montana_tele

montana_tele First Runs

I agree the low tech toe has been around and tested since 1985, but that has been for fixed heel contraptions. The very reason the Lynx has been delayed by two months now is their early tech toe was not standing up to the force of the free heel binding. The forces produced with a fix heel versus a free heel binding are definitely not the same, why do you think BD does not recommend tele bindings on their Helio ski series?

8. telecrag

Agree, the forces are different. Didn't know about the Helio, thought they probably want to sell more ATK's. They say a tele binder voids warranty!

9. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

10. telecrag

hmmm. Im still a Freeride fanboi, not sure what I want to do for touring. Longer I wait, more chance for something better!

I note Dostie doesnt mention clicking the toe out of tour for skiing, that cant be good?

11. dossa5

dossa5 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Agree needs bump lesson before he reviews

12. skifree

Just forgotten to mention it I'm guessing.

Noting that on some (OK actually very rarely but I have done it) lines I actually lock the Meidjo's toe into tour mode prior to pointing the skis downhill to avoid possible toe release when I reckon that keeping the ski on is the lesser of the evils of an unwanted release.

telecrag likes this.