1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

22 Designs Lynx NTN Binding

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by skifree, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

My Kabookies have 25 inserts per ski.
    No problems.

DidSurfNowSki and skifree like this.
  2. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for that one!
    I've been having exactly that problem last couple of months and couldn't for the life of me get to the bottom of it!
    Now will have to engineer a little split donut....

skifree likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Crispi had a carbon fibre prototype.
    Anyone know if anything came of it?

4. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Howdy,

Its great to have these workarounds but wouldn’t you think (hope) that by the production update - ie version # 2 (for you? Or is it V#1?); that the spring tension/length - longevity would be well-sorted?

Along with the mechanics of the active (moving) duck-butt & the toe pin tension, it’s the core of the boot retention and security while turning, traversing, etc...?

Don’t they test these things for a season or two and ask selected team members to ‘go away and break’ the Beta versions?

or not?

I’m glad my 25 days on the Outlaw X have been much smoother and confidence inspiring!
    (Touching wood off camera!).

5. snowgum

Cool I’ll start start saving now! (;-)
    Ta!

Ziggy likes this.
  6. Ziggy

It's v2 of the design and has been improved out of a lot of field experience.
    It's also to my mind a more robust design.
    In an AT design 2 pins and some downward foot pressure have to cope with a lot of force. It's a wonder it works at all for tele.

7. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

TMI

8. snowgum

Good one tc - walked into that door! :rolleyes:

telecrag likes this.
  9. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

A wooden door?

10. snowgum

:rolleyes:

11. snowgum

Howdy BW (or anyone? Skifree?)

with my eye on a future lighter weight set (as per ad nauseam here); do you have any idea when the Lyx V3 could be expected for release and (harder still) what changes could be see?

Do you think it might be worth going on a ‘pre-order’ this Spring for an Autumn 21’ delivery?

Or is it just too hard to tell anything?

..FWIW it’s still the most logical light binder to get (given my 22D patterns in 4 skis; 2 of them quite new) assuming this and the Meidjo are roughly on par and ignoring release.

And assuming I don’t get a new, blank light ski to mount. A few ifs but you (one) gets the giste!
    cheers. :cool:

12. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

No idea. Not that 22D expresses their development that way.

We pretty much see developments when people get warranty parts that are different to the part that failed.

13. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

skifree likes this.
  14. snowgum

cheers Yes I think I’ve read about the changes. Neither pin binding is perfect.

For me it may boil down to the Lynx screwing straight into my existing 4 QK 22d pattern skis (2 main newbies; two older v wide/narrow models). If I had a new fabulous wide light touring ski fall into my yard from the blue, the Meidjo could get the nod.

trying to picture 10 or 11 of the toe& middle section Meidjo QK holes intermingling with 6 22 d holes (QK) without impacting adversely on a couple of very nice skis; each one year old or less (admittedly both quite solid with metal top sheets).

now if there was even one successful example of this transition I would feel more confident.

anyway will do some field testing if we get a winter. A second winter with lighter Excursions (over TX Pro) on the Rustler 9 and possibly the new Contour skins might show the way? Mmm?

skifree likes this.
  15. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

Keen to hear any contour reviews if you buy a pair. Certainly seemed to have potential when i fondled a pair in the shop......

16. snowgum

happy to post the details - now if i was allowed to leave SE subs (Mel) this - weekend It’s just possible I could ski the Rustlers and test them. Hopefully early winter?

17. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

I can give you a review on Contour. Been on them for a couple of years now. Also friends guiding in Japan, US and Europe on them. I will try not to be too biased.

They shit on every hot melt skin I have ever used. Easy to pull apart, stick super well to the base of your skis but pull away without too much effort. Don't leave glue residue on your bases. Glide as a well as a 70-30% Mohair / nylon skin should do, which is really good. Will get wet if not treated, the same as any other skin. So keep the wax up to them in spring, not as necessary during the height of the season.

And you can clean the glue just by washing in warm soapy water or using the special Contour wash, which is really good for Aust / NZ considering the amount of foliage and assorted shite we tend to get in our snow pack.

My retailers have sold a couple of hundred pair over the past couple of years and no warranty issues or bad reviews from anyone as yet.

Chaeron, snowgum, Goski and 2 others like this.
  18. snowgum

Great report! And sound v good.

I’ll add my own commentary if I ever get out of the big smoke?

(Some lucky peeps may get a slide come the weekend? - so to access their second home or job site of course!)

Chaeron and DPS Driver like this.
  19. Goski

Accessing a second home isn't permitted under current restrictions. No visits to holiday home without police permission. My wife's boss's family did go to their Rye holiday house for 2 weeks of noisy railway works that would have seen them accommodated elsewhere by the gov. They got a letter from the police before leaving for Rye.

Chaeron likes this.
  20. snowgum

Fair enough Goski, I wonder how many people are really adhering to this ruling?

21. Goski

I think a lot are. Police in holiday spots are doing random checks to see if people there are in their primary home else the fines would be applied. Checks are being done on car drivers too. You need a valid reason to be driving somewhere. Push-biking qualifies as acceptable exercise though the Vic gov haven;t been clear as to what isn't allowed. On our early morning bike rides a few times per week I see people kicking balls to each other and lots of pairs who don't seem to be from the same household jogging or walking shoulder to shoulder, with or without pooches. Just as I rode past a lady wearing an ineffective paper mask she let out a big cough!

Chaeron likes this.
  22. Goski

I look forward to fondling @snowgum's new contours (tic). We sometimes have a ski together, when the snow and weather is ok and when family arrangements and availability align. So not often! Hopefully more this year if we are allowed out.

Chaeron likes this.
  23. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Enough locals to let us know what its like I reckon.

Chaeron likes this.
  24. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

Well that solves that then! Think my next skin choice is going to be pretty straight forward.

Cheers for the review!

25. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

"Fondling Snowgums Contours".

What happens on the mountain stays on the mountain.

Chaeron and Spence like this.
  26. snowgum

eeer!
    RUNAWAY!

27. Goski

I'll bet many of us have enjoyed the contours of a snowgum before.

skifree likes this.
  28. snowgum

Hey GoSki, I think that’s pretty well killed the thread. ;)

29. Ziggy

Nah.

My project to recycle some 75mm gear for a cheap lightish touring rig came to grief on the cheap part.

And skifree got me thinking about NTN pin tech.

So I've ordered some Lynxes from Telemark Pyrenees on sale. I ski Outlaws on piste and sidecountry so there should be little new to learn. And with Safeouts I can mix and match bindings and skis easily, with a mount plate on each ski that will take either binding.

From Rhythm a pair of Annums is on the way too.

The Lynx and Annums will save about 650g per side over the Outlaws and V6s.

snowgum and skifree like this.
  30. snowgum

Hi Ziggy,

that sounds like a fabulous plan. Apart from the money angle - a good time if one has to buy?

Since I’ve hogged the floor already do you mind if bug you some more please? (Apologies to innocent bystanders!)

You stated earlier that used your Outlaws; Tx Pro(?) & V6 (Own Patten)? To tour the backcountry or side country?

Can I please ask (possibly an overlap from a previous Q so apologies in advance!): your Bc ski situation probably matches mine most closely on this forum:
    - what terrain / area were you skiing the Above combo (NSW?);
    - again? What were the main shortcomings? Was it just the shear mass (& that’s exactly skins!);
    - did you find them to combersome; slow to turn in more complex, narrow, treed terrain?
    (If so be worse in Vic/ Stirling etc...).
    - did you feel they were still too slow with your own pattern some days (soft wet?), or;
    - sometimes wish you’d bought the BC model for more grip (more xc ability less xcd focus?);
    - perhaps think the Ultravector (BC/flat) covers more bases for a mix of touring and destination turns?
    - perhaps think Annums might be enough for most tour & turning (slope) days in Oz and a wide BC for here is OTT (I haven’t tried Annums or any Voile skis so until I hire (this winter) - it’s all based on what I have now/done. (Ie 2.1 kg R9s or 2.3kg Enf104, TX, OutlawX; either kickers or G3 uni nylon)

Can also please ask what length Annum you went for?
    (195 sounds long but 185 could ski pretty short at my weight; now 110) (;-)

looking Fed to your Lynx report - it’s the next maybe most obvious are for me to lose weight off current set ups.
    Cheers big thanks SG.:thumbs:

31. snowgum

Sorry one more thing Z.

are the Voile BC models pos or neg pls?
    I guess they’d buzz quite a bit if the former?
    Like the Karhu xcds? Etc...

32. Ziggy

Yes, TX Pro - piste and sidecountry
    Falls Creek, McKay, Rocky knobs etc
    Minor shortcomings with the V6 is ice holding on icy surfaces is relatively hard work at 98mm underfoot and they chatter a good deal on frozen bubblewrap
    No
    Sticky snow, yes, like every other ski.
    No. I take kickers if I want to go steeper.
    Haven't skied them.
    Yes. Epochs for firmer snow and straight line performance. Annums for touring to get to turns.
    185 cm, for 74 kg (and pack).
    Don't know.

snowgum likes this.
  33. snowgum

Sweet ta Zig, a bit of a repeat but v appreciated.

Should have remembered another Vic. Your terrain similar to mine (swap Rocky Knolls for WatchBed Cm & Nelse); add Also Twins & back o’Hotham, & Loch to my usual Stirling haunt for my short Dist day-play XCD tour areas. So like you, I guess? Not huge verticals in one hit - compared with NSW slopes?
    But all the very adds up over time. So does weight.

As a BTW; I’ve spoken to Rythm re sales and hire. In addition to sales they have some limited Voile hire stock inc a 178 V6 BC with AT. I figure if Im allowed out of Vic in winter, I could do worse than try the V6 - at least see if the scales or the ski per se sucks big time or ok? Will do same on Annums but seems I can do from Vic (EMC or Stirling).

This winter a I’ll have used the Excursions (0.5 kg lighter ea) & Contours (easier gliding)? on the R9s at least 2-3 times to see if that’s a way to better manage weight. (Or is its TXP & Lynx?) :rolleyes: the R9s are very nice on the downs. :thumbs:

So, I’m probably a year behind in terms of the upgrade but will certainly be watching any (your?) new gear reviews closely.

As for ski length weight - I’m in a totally different weight class (down to 110kg** eek!) but a couple of months on the (dry) wagon should help a tad? :thumbs:

**in my defence people are astounded I weight I do, being solid ish & ~ 6’2 1/2 - 3’, I manage to partially hide my bulk. It is handy walking on a narrow footpath during the CoVid 19 outbreak! ;):rolleyes::D:p

34. Ziggy

Below is the 2020 revision of the Lynx.
    The differences are listed here: https://www.telemarkskier.com/update-22ds-lynx-2020-revisions/
    22D advise fitting at least one spacer from the off. Next year they will lengthen the springs.
    The Hammerheel mystery has been replaced by a unitary assembly (compared with Outlaw and the 75mm bindings).
    The pin block is a beautiful bit of CNC machining.
    The pins close with a positive snap.

snowgum, Majikthise and skifree like this.
  35. dossa5

dossa5 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Welcome to tech.
    Still no brakes for them

Ziggy likes this.
  36. Ziggy

No. Though Safeouts do - in release mode, not step in.

37. snowgum

Cheers Ziggy,

yes nice bit of metal. Sounds like there’s still scope for a modest retro upgrade?

(Not sure about the timing of mine - it’s one from a larger order). Enjoy!

38. snowgum

FWIW: I note the wide brakes (120mm) for Outlaw X weigh ~75 gms each. Assume a future Lynx unit would be similar.

So ~ 150 gms pr. May not matter much for a light set up. But if you’re total set is getting up to tolerable tour limits then brakes won’t help. Definitely want to chose the lightweight runaway straps/clips if weight is an issue.