Predictions 23-28th July Nor-Wester Deliverance

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
If this holds, Saturday and Sunday will be pretty epic for storm boarding if you can handle the wind. My concern would be wind hold. Lower half of Thredders could be the go to spot if in NSW

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Good snow to be trashed by lots of R**N. We are not in Hokkaido are we?
:-(
Winter rain is not limited to Aussie fields. Have had rain in NZ a few times (less as a % than Vic), lots in Hukaba, sleety rain skiing in Scotland’s Anoch Mor and yes, even NSW!

An occupational hazzard!

back on topic: If the weekend/Monday Am delivers, I reckon even Vic will survive 20-30mm rain? Should still be at around 1.5m on the upper slopes Falls/Hotham? :thumbs::cool:

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Winter rain is not limited to Aussie fields. Have had rain in NZ a few times (less as a % than Vic), lots in Hukaba, sleety rain skiing in Scotland’s Anoch Mor and yes, even NSW!

An occupational hazzard!

back on topic: If the weekend/Monday Am delivers, I reckon even Vic will survive 20-30mm rain? Should still be at around 1.5m on the upper slopes Falls/Hotham? :thumbs::cool:
Not to mention Poncho days at Whistler.

As far as rain goes, GFS and ACCESS-G at least indicate a lowering snowline on Wednesday into Thursday with a handy 20cm or maybe a little more possible. Disclaimer for Buller, it's a westerly.

Reactions: snowgum
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
ps should that potential front for next Wednesday be part of an extended date range for this thread or something it's own right? It's kind of an extension of the 23-27th weather pattern but if it holds, a front in it's own right.

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood

An occupational hazzard!

Yep, we are getting of topic here, but ive seen it rain to the Peak at Whistler mid Feb. Which is the depths of Winter in Canada.

It happens, especially when your weather is driven by the large oceans like costal Nth America.

Gregah

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2016
BoM (Hotham) update for today. A minor bump up on Sunday and an emergence of a chunky rear end.
1626850609039.png

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Bom for southern vic on Sunday:
Snow to 600m with flurries to 400m Sunday morning.
does this sound about right atm ?
Yeah, looked like 500m to me (mentioned yesterday for Sunday), but what's 100m between pals.

It does look like they'll have to downgrade a touch based on tonight's 00z run IMO.

Infinity Dawn

One of Us
Sep 28, 2016
Sydney
The systems pretty much locked in now to me, just see sawing a bit with the temps in the later days of the system, seeing about 50-70cm of snow with a cheeky 20-40mm of rain in the mix, none the less a nice net gain but wish it wasnt raining full stop.

Reactions: Gregah

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Temps are starting to come round on the back end, as they tend to do.

70-100cm for the majors above 1600m Saturday to Wednesday IMO.
Lock it in Eddy.
We still looking at clear stuff on the back end but less? or none and all snow?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
July has been peak snowfall/accumulation time for some years.
Especially in Victoria. Our low hills warm up so quickly in late August these days.

More on topic: I wonder what the IOD / La Niña predictions will do to our mid/late season predictions.

‘Wetter’ these days seems to imply milder - most times? Bombing ECLs and cold fronts peaking over WA? A bit like our late Autumn/early winter?

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
I predict an epic week long blizzard might be one for the books! Where have all the weather experts & nahsayers that predicted a below average season with there crystal balls gone?
This weekend and next week is really going to set the hills up for a long season, barring any major rain events (touch wood).

Now we pray to the COVID gods to play nice also and we can have some positives in our lives

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass