Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
IMG_0492.JPG
The snow quality at Thredbo has been a pleasant surprise after the weekend slush at Perisher. Reasonably fast in places, even ... On and off snow showers up top; visibility unfortunately wasn't that great in the Basin area.

DiscoStuAU

One of Us
May 30, 2015
Melbourne City, VIC
Did vic get the dust anyone?
Not 100% certain, I vaguely recall seeing a photo from somewhere on social media yesterday that had dust on the snow, but it could well have been NSW and not VIC. In looking at the cam's its difficult to see if there was any dust blowing around now that some snow has fallen. It wouldn't surprise me if we did get some though...

Reactions: POW Hungry

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Not 100% certain, I vaguely recall seeing a photo from somewhere on social media yesterday that had dust on the snow, but it could well have been NSW and not VIC. In looking at the cam's its difficult to see if there was any dust blowing around now that some snow has fallen. It wouldn't surprise me if we did get some though...
It was a Northerly on Saturday ahead of the change, so if NSW got it so did Vic in some shape or form IMO.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
Light snow started accumulating up top at Falls around 2pm but nothing more than a few cm. I called it a day at 3pm because I was soaking wet from the earlier light rain. Snow was ok. I didn't see much dust around.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
It was a Northerly on Saturday ahead of the change, so if NSW got it so did Vic in some shape or form IMO.
The mountain is absolutely covered in dust (Perisher). Strong winds all day again today. Sago blowing in from around 11 am (on Mt P) and no r**n up high). It added up to 5 cms in the drifts. Still was spring snow and heavy going once it got chopped up. Out wide after midday was not too bad where the sago was filling in the gaps! Looking towards the mountain now and also down the valley towards Victoria there's still some moisture about.

j_w_x_

First Runs
Sep 21, 2017
What you see is the EC picked the meridional flow from the get-go where as the GFS was
modeling a zonal flow,and it caught most people out who backed the GFS.;)

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
How dust covered are we talking? Full dustpocalypse? Because it honestly still looks pretty white on the cams, and I remember some years, where it looked like the Simpson desert rather than the high country by the time we got to the October LWE.
Dunno, but dust is as sure as the Spring season IMO.
Some seasons we go without 'weather' for weeks in spring - dust is always a contributing factor at this time of year. It's no different from other years.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
How dust covered are we talking? Full dustpocalypse? Because it honestly still looks pretty white on the cams, and I remember some years, where it looked like the Simpson desert rather than the high country by the time we got to the October LWE.
It looks like dirty snow.

Reactions: SMSkier
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
That's the problem with cam based observations. It was quite dusty out there. The snow that has been and is falling will help cover it. It was the hot Saturday that did it... I'm seeing reports right now of snow falling in Perisher so that's going to "whiten things up" :thumbs:

Reactions: NewTurns

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Here are a couple of photos taken from Lake Crackenback, near Thredbo, looking towards the main range. Some healthy snow notwithstanding hairdryers and dust!
IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

@SMSkier posted some pics on the perisher thread the other day from his ski touring up the top there (porcupine rocks) looking down into the valley. Exactly the opposite perspective :)

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
@SMSkier posted some pics on the perisher thread the other day from his ski touring up the top there (porcupine rocks) looking down into the valley. Exactly the opposite perspective :)
And technically it's the Ramshead Range, not the main range, which I feel obliged to say for obvious reasons

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Also, I observed graupel (sago) rain and then snow at Thredbo today. wasn't too bad on the hill. Winds gusted a bit but nothing bad. High Noon was best run on hill. Not too slow and soupy at all. Better than midwinter when it's an ice sheet, that's for sure. Pumped for tomorrow

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
And technically it's the Ramshead Range, not the main range, which I feel obliged to say for obvious reasons
I stand corrected!
Also, I observed graupel (sago) rain and then snow at Thredbo today. wasn't too bad on the hill. Winds gusted a bit but nothing bad. High Noon was best run on hill. Not too slow and soupy at all. Better than midwinter when it's an ice sheet, that's for sure. Pumped for tomorrow
Yes, I was surprised at how good it was :)

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Cracker of a day unfolding in Melb..

Negligible winds sunny and blue sky.

Usual crackpots on the commute to the western Subs

Reactions: Claude Cat

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Mildura Radar is picking up the inbound NW moisture at the moment. Should see some rain across the resorts
throughout the next 24hrs.

Thredbo/Perisher AWS sitting on around 6/8C respectively.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Mild day in Caroline Springs...bit breezy....cloudy and appears that some showers could develop .....

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Would love some rain in Sydney... I've forgotten what it's like to have solid rain here in the Eastern Subs of Sydney.
It's been a week of dry, warm northerlies here (other than the brief Southerly blast late Saturday).

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Would love some rain in Sydney... I've forgotten what it's like to have solid rain here in the Eastern Subs of Sydney.
It's been a week of dry, warm northerlies here (other than the brief Southerly blast late Saturday).
We are enjoying the weather down here. It's nice seeing rain fall and hearing it on the roof.

Reactions: POW Hungry

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I observe that Birdsville has reached 42.3. Record maximum in Australia for September is 43.1 set in Roebuck in 2003. 3.00 pm reading should be interesting.
Soo close... It just cracked 42.4C @ 3:43pm. Now on 42.1C.

Rain looks to be hitting the alps now on the Yarrawonga composite radar

Reactions: IAB

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
Flying down to Melbourne this morning I could see there is still heaps of snow. Looking very good for late September...

859EF8DF-42AE-49FB-AF5C-79AF1A7D95D9_zpsi3jk5bza.jpg
Great shots!

I'm sure this can be verified with a bit of google activity, but I was told some years ago that Australia's alpine area is greater than all of the Swiss alps.

Reactions: SMSkier
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using