Hard Yards
Aug 7, 2017
Sydney
IMG20211001150232.jpg

Kearns 2558 (Ctown), lasted at least 10mina

Enduro

Early Days
Feb 22, 2021
Some serious storms either side of the Sydney basin. A fair bit of action on the Blue Mountains. Some thunder and rain here at work in Windsor

Screenshot_20211001-152331_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Gleno71 and Homer

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Storms actually making to the coast , in typical 2021 fashion. Bom leaving a tiny bit of Sydney out of the warning. Should change soon but some areas of concern right now.
Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 3.26.22 pm.png
Yeah, seems the coastal moisture is helping things along if anything, at least with the storm we're getting down here. I think the main issue with sea breezes is when they undercut warm air and cause a massive capping inversion. Despite the sea breeze today, the temp profile is still pretty normal (i.e. getting cooler as elevation increases) so the sea breeze is not killing them.

Not a whole lot of rain here and no hail, this one has mostly missed us.

Joshua Randazzo

One of Us
Jan 1, 2021
near sydney CBD.
Yeah, seems the coastal moisture is helping things along if anything, at least with the storm we're getting down here. I think the main issue with sea breezes is when they undercut warm air and cause a massive capping inversion. Despite the sea breeze today, the temp profile is still pretty normal (i.e. getting cooler as elevation increases) so the sea breeze is not killing them.

Not a whole lot of rain here and no hail, this one has mostly missed us.
im so tempted to talk about one storm that hit sydney but for the sake of everybody in this forum i will stop myself

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
That radar had a bit of a Dec 2018 look about it for a while there. Glad the hail is mostly small.

I think AGW is fuelling a lot of these high end storms. We have had severe storms in September before but a multi tornado outbreak is something novel for NSW. Imagine the carnage if surface temps were more summery (though uppers would warm, too). We had a heavy storm with the temperature in single figures last night: bizarre.

Spoke too soon: some new black, mean nasties are about to bumrush the outer western suburbs.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Ominous green colour with imminent storm at B1. Wind has swung to SW from storm downdraft. A slight tinge of pink/orange in NW so it should pass quickly and be sunny in 30 mins.

Jac0b

Addicted
Jul 5, 2019
Western Sydney
Looks pretty nasty out there in W Syd. Big hail methinks.

Yep was very nasty on approach, black skies with slight green tinge, west of Parramatta. Done and dusted now.

There was a torrential downpour with some pea sized hail bouncing in the grass, some close lightning but surprisingly no wind. Overall == very nice start to October.

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Even Oatley managed to get some of that, amazing. Usually the seabreeze tears lines like this apart there, though of course there are exceptions as Mr. Simpson pointed out. Perhaps the better shear up top overcame this today; after all the atmosphere higher up is still in winter mode.

Not just VIC but even Tassie is seeing some storms now, once more they are tracking east to west! Storms in NW Tassie are as rare as the proverbial; it’s number one on my list for benign weather in Aus (apart from wind).

The southern part of the line seems to have weakened after passing Oatley, though. The northern parts are maintaining their strength over the urban core. Let’s see if it restrengthens over Botany Bay.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass