Event 29 SEP - 2 OCT SE Aus Broad-based Low

Jac0b

Hard Yards
Jul 5, 2019
Western Sydney
Yep was very nasty on approach, black skies with slight green tinge, west of Parramatta. Done and dusted now.

There was a torrential downpour with some pea sized hail bouncing in the grass, some close lightning but surprisingly no wind. Overall == very nice start to October.
Just for reference, I measured 25mm of rain. I'd say about 20mm of that fell in a 10 minute period, so very heavy rain rates.

Reactions: Steve777

Edge72

Hard Yards
Apr 3, 2020
Sydney
There goes my theory .. a doozy of a storm here at Kingsford ! Very menacing, with all most constant in cloud lighting .. very electrically charged , small pea size hail for a few minutes.

Edit : Seems to have back right off this last 5 mins ... bizarre.

Reactions: Steve777

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Riggers have down tools.
127BF18B-AFFE-4FFA-AF2B-75D93C54C16C.jpeg
One king size lightning rod:emoji_cloud_lightning::emoji_cloud_lightning:

Reactions: nfip
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
Great pictures and reports everyone.

There have been some good falls around Sydney, over 30 mm Southwards (Campbelltown area, Woronora). The Airport received 20 mm, with many sites in Sydney’s West and South 10-20 mm.

It was a bit of a fizzer here, all the action passed to my South. I got some rumbles and a bit of light rain.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
I know its all very Sydney centric atm with those beasts but here is a nice shot of Melbourne's Eastern burbs currently.
16330727309741654866228649286182.jpg

It's a thread for the system, no matter how large the system is.
Thank you for posting and a great pic. It shouldn't be Sydney/NSW centric when the system is affecting 3 states. It just seems that NSW posters are generally (but not always) the only contributing posters.
We could have such a better record of the system if more posters from Qld, Vic and even SA, posted in this event thread.
The members from those states seem to stay in their little state enclaves and ignore event threads.

BTW, that is a cracking photo. Everything looks so green and healthy atm, and that's a great shot of the CBD to the left of the rain curtain.

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
It's a thread for the system, no matter how large the system is.
Thank you for posting and a great pic. It shouldn't be Sydney/NSW centric when the system is affecting 3 states. It just seems that NSW posters are generally (but not always) the only contributing posters.
We could have such a better record of the system if more posters from Qld, Vic and even SA, posted in this event thread.
The members from those states seems to stay in their little enclaves and ignore event threads.

BTW, that is a cracking photo. Everything looks so green and healthy atm, and that's a great shot of the CBD to the left of the rain curtain.
Agreed and I was thinking the same thing. I did not even know there was storm activity down there until you posted so thanks for that @balmz

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
yeah, I’ve heard reports of 20c piece hail. Moreso Sydney though. didn’t have that dry layer in mids.
More talking cricket balls that were on the table yesterday.
Still should have been worthy of a warning from BoM though IMO. I think the threshold for "large hailstones" is 2cm from memory. It usually doesn't take much for them to worn of large hailstones so I'm surprised it wasn't included, especially with the black pixels that were in a few storms.

Reactions: POW Hungry

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Still should have been worthy of a warning from BoM though IMO. I think the threshold for "large hailstones" is 2cm from memory. It usually doesn't take much for them to worn of large hailstones so I'm surprised it wasn't included, especially with the black pixels that were in a few storms.
100% with you. Surely better to throw caution to the wind and add it in warning.
Just simply remarking that Sydney had less of a chance of ‘large hail’ than elsewhere IMO.

Reactions: Wavey

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
I see Brisbane copping a small line of TS showers ATM, however looks like NSW got the lions share this event. Probably a testament to the number of NSW posters.

Amazing how much of the SE it influenced, however.

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Some storms possible tomorrow down here also, though they should be garden variety rather than severe. Event not quite over yet. It will clear out with a drier (cooler for the tablelands) westerly on Sunday and there will be some warmth on the coast.

POW- that "small line of TS showers" has pelted the women's cricket test with hail. But I'm sure you've got the sarc blinkers on! The tornadoes were firmly in the 'roach state however... as they tend to be these days. NSW is the 'battleground' state for Australian weather much like the Midwest is in the US...and this comparison is increasingly valid.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1633087547863.png

1633087457378.png

1633087467731.png

1633087446400.png

2nd day in a row of angry skies here in Brisbane. Severe thunderstorm warnings galore.

First image is one of the radar images from when the line was sweeping over my place. Second pic is one I took from my front door tonight and the third and fourth ones were shared to fb by Kerri Flynn from Morayfield on the northside. Numerous hail reports also.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
1633087547863.png

1633087457378.png

1633087467731.png

1633087446400.png

2nd day in a row of angry skies here in Brisbane. Severe thunderstorm warnings galore.

First image is one of the radar images from when the line was sweeping over my place. Second pic is one I took from my front door tonight and the third and fourth ones were shared to fb by Kerri Flynn from Morayfield on the northside. Numerous hail reports also.
Yes! Good to hear Ken.
Good to see the SE spark up, once again.

Gleno71

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Queensland
I would be very suprised is anything does occur today, the values are just not there compared to yesterday, the storm charts i posted yesterday are only showing minor instability down towards the south coast and canberra, forecast soundings are showing very mild instability if any, but like anything , when were dealing with weather anything can happen.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
I would be very suprised is anything does occur today, the values are just not there compared to yesterday, the storm charts i posted yesterday are only showing minor instability down towards the south coast and canberra, forecast soundings are showing very mild instability if any, but like anything , when were dealing with weather anything can happen.

Quick glance suggests an outside chance of localised brief thunder (with possible small hail and brief gusty winds) within a broad area of eastern NSW and VIC.... so fairly hit and miss..... but with somewhat more activity focusing on far southeastern NSW and eastern VIC.

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Looks like a convergence between a Bass Strait southerly and the inland westerly just south of here this afternoon, could actually be some decent storms with that. That is a common storm producing setup in summer and with the remnant instability from the low, it could fire up. I am thinking the Monaro Highway corridor. Cells will probably be stronger on the ranges to the south and east as with Ken Kato's map above. The southerly fails to penetrate beyond about Williamsdale/Michelago by GFS.

Wavey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
Looks like a convergence between a Bass Strait southerly and the inland westerly just south of here this afternoon, could actually be some decent storms with that. That is a common storm producing setup in summer and with the remnant instability from the low, it could fire up. I am thinking the Monaro Highway corridor. Cells will probably be stronger on the ranges to the south and east as with Ken Kato's map above. The southerly fails to penetrate beyond about Williamsdale/Michelago by GFS.
And also the southerly going up the coastline which turns easterly as it penetrates inland. Yeah could definitely be something decent especially on the Tinderries IMO with that added easterly from the coast.

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
SWEAT index (GFS) has a bullseye over Bungendore too, but in reality I think the focus will be a bit further south towards the convergence. Winds at 700 hPa turn to SW, which is a more favourable direction for storms in Bungendore.

Billy Bob

One of Us
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Lots of small convective showers here; they may limit the potential for anything severe. But the first red pixel has appeared just west of Araluen. Extended sunshine over the Canberra heat sink is the best chance for a storm here. Although the steering winds are favourable the cells are moving quite slowly, and so they are breaking up over the range SW of Bungendore. 700 hPa wind was quite light on the models.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Great shots, that type of structure seems to be very common in Sydney compared to what i have seen in SE QLD
Yeah, very common to have a storm accompanied by a shelf/Arcus in Sydney.
Has a lot to do with variable dew points in the basin and topography.
I suspect UHI effect plays a part too.

But yeah, Search Google images for shelf and Arcus and you’ll see Sydney features quite prominently.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass