1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

3 months in Whistler

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Igs1972, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Igs1972

Igs1972 Hard Yards

Hi all, as stars aligned and a combination of work related payout and family commitments coming to an end are finalized, I am starting to realize that a season in Whistler is in fact very possible. One more star to fall into line in June and I'm off to webjet site to book a one way ticket.

It always pays to plan ahead. So my questions are fairly standard. I'm planning January, February and March. I'm guessing I will need a room for three months in a shared house or something. Where would be the best and reasonably priced area to stay? No job needed as I'm covered. So only skiing and entertainment. So need something close to a gondola or a lift. And possibly some side trips to, say, Apex, Silver Star, Sun Peaks etc etc. And maybe even to Montana and/or Colorado...? Would I need a permanent car or an occasional rental is ok?

And how do I go about accommodation rentals enquiries?
    I would appreciate any advice.

2. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

If you’re transiting through the USA on a one way ticket you won’t qualify for the visa waiver program and will need a proper visa. Actually check that Canada will let you in on a one way ticket.

Chaeron likes this.
  3. Igs1972

Igs1972 Hard Yards

probably fly direct into Vancouver. But I can get a two way ticket. Only return in the end of March. Not important.

Zimbooo likes this.
  4. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Craigslist is popular for accom. https://whistler.craigslist.org
    Creekside would be my area of preference. But there are other residential areas a couple of kms away on the bus line.

5. Igs1972

Igs1972 Hard Yards

thank you for this. I've heard of Creekside. Is that a commute to lifts? like a shuttle bus. Or it has its own lift

6. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Creekside was the original village of Whistler, no bus required to access lifts to Whistler. Has supermarket, a few restaurants etc., used be cheaper for longer stays compared to the main village area. Is about 3kms away from the main village. A bus runs between villages, costs a couple of bucks. The main village is the best location, but I doubt you'd find 3 months accomm for a affordable price in the main village?

7. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Accomodation is your number one concern, everything else is relatively easy.

This website is way out of date, I don’t think it has been updated for 5 years or so. As a result, the prices are wrong. However, it gives a good basic summary of all the accomodation regions around whistler village

https://www.whistlerseason.com/whistler-season-accommodation/

8. Igs1972

Igs1972 Hard Yards

thank you, appreciate your advice guys. all welcome
    Squamish gets a lot of mention everywhere. Is that a viable choice?

9. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    Squamish to Whistler is about a 45 minute drive - you can catch the bus and I imagine there'd be plenty of car pooling happening if you don't plan on buying a car (which you could do quite cheaply)

You could also go to Pemberton out the other side of Whistler (30 mins north). Greater Whistler is now huge and well serviced by PT so don't just think Creekside to Whistler Village. A lot of locals live north of the Village in areas like Alpine meadows

Chaeron likes this.
  10. Izzy

Izzy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Does it have to be Whistler? Revelstoke? Fernie? Red? All significantly cheaper and far less crowded.

11. Igs1972

Igs1972 Hard Yards

I am actually thinking about buying a car. I would like to do some side trips to other areas, may be even down to Montana too. I've been looking on eBay, but not much there, mostly in the US, which I can deliver to Can, no dramas. Any particular local site you I should be looking at?

It might actually make sense, like say live in Jindie and drive to Perisher. And could be cheaper and easier

12. Igs1972

Igs1972 Hard Yards

you're right. I have been looking at Red and I like it a lot. But is it covered by Epic pass? But yes. I'm looking into other towns/areas

Izzy likes this.
  13. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Squamish is further than Jindy - Perisher, more like Berridale. Also you have to contend with the Vancouver traffic coming up the Sea to Sky highway on weekends etc. By comparison, Pemberton is closer, more like Jindy distance, and much less traffic. Squamish is a biggish town with pretty much all facilities, Pemby is much smaller

14. luvthabumps

luvthabumps A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Back in MEL ( with annual trips to the 604 )
    https://www.kijiji.ca is the free site to advertise for Canadians. We used this a lot to buy bikes, etc but they have cars.

Chaeron likes this.
  15. Igs1972

Igs1972 Hard Yards

wow just sow there Pathfinder for $4,300.00 in Pemberton. I think I know what to do now. thank you

Chaeron likes this.
  16. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

For used vehicles, try Craigslist, Kijiji and www.autotrader.ca. Facebook Marketplace is also really popular.

17. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This. A season pass to both Red and Whitewater. Stay in Nelson or Rossland.

18. Igs1972

Igs1972 Hard Yards

I really do like Red and was planning a few days there or a week anyway. But this might change things. I could only find one Red Mountain season pass (CA$1k). You are saying there is one that covers both? Red and Whitewater