Observations 31st July-6th August Systems

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Schnitzelnschnapps

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2017
Observationally, the Wattles are out and it’s just gone August.
Wattle Day was traditionally 1 August for many years but now I think it's been moved to Sept. Or the other way around. I googled it, it was a bit confusing. But yes, some species of wattle always flower by 1 August, others in later months.

Vandans

Addicted
Aug 15, 2012
ACT
Observationally, the Wattles are out and it’s just gone August.
The seasons this year are all over the place some shrubs were flowering in Autumn and the danger is that orchardists may suffer damage from late frosts. Grain crops as well from 1 unseasonal rain and 2 late frosts.

Reactions: Jacko4650

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Beautiful evening at Buller. Wind has dropped a bit, sun's out...
20220803_164708.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Adaminaby Angler

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
Maragle, NSW; 948 m AMSL; 35.86° S
Classic Aussie ski season conditions today - wet and windy on the cams. Looks putrid.
Dunno bout you, but 'classic' to me implies that it's a characteristic of the climate. And rain is far from the norm on the AU Alps most winters—the grand majority of winter precip is in the form of snow, even in lower places like Cabramurra.

Let's hope your post was a joke…otherwise you risk looking like a dumb tourist.

• Haha
Reactions: Formally_FS04

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Dunno bout you, but 'classic' to me implies that it's a characteristic of the climate. And rain is far from the norm on the AU Alps most winters—the grand majority of winter precip is in the form of snow, even in lower places like Cabramurra.

Let's hope your post was a joke…otherwise you risk looking like a dumb tourist.
I beg to differ, quite often it rains first then turns to snow as the system moves east and come from the south. Rain is pretty common in NSW resorts, but it generally doesn't last long.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I beg to differ, quite often it rains first then turns to snow as the system moves east and come from the south. Rain is pretty common in NSW resorts, but it generally doesn't last long.
It rains quite a bit at the lower elevation VIC. ski locations. The knife edge of whether it is cold enough for precipitation to fall as snow is ever present esp. at Lake Mountain.

igor

Hard Yards
Apr 22, 2005
melbourne
Heavy rain and odd thunder at Dinner plain now. It was surprisingly dry during the day though. Rain stopped late morning, some wind driven hail, even the sun broke through a few times.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Thunder and lightning very very frightening......... especially when you are at 1000m and its almost midnight in the middle of winter and its 14C outside with up to 200mm of rain forecast in the mtns and your two weeks of skiing planned starting in less than 36 hrs.

But I'm a weather nerd so I love it and I have a house full of sick kids so probably won't start skiing till next Monday after a bunch of fresh snow anyway.

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Thunder and lightning very very frightening......... especially when you are at 1000m and its almost midnight in the middle of winter and its 14C outside with up to 200mm of rain forecast in the mtns and your two weeks of skiing planned starting in less than 36 hrs.

But I'm a weather nerd so I love it and I have a house full of sick kids so probably won't start skiing till next Monday after a bunch of fresh snow anyway.

I have 3 days skiing this year and it’s Fri - Sun!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using