32 days until Queenstown

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Peanut, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

It’s getting close enough that my excitement levels are ramping up, and even hubby and the mini-Peanuts are starting to show some enthusiasm.

What do you think the chances are of our flight actually landing in Queenstown this time and not being diverted to Christchurch?

Snowdayyy likes this.
  2. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I googled to see if there was a term for baby peanuts, but couldn't find one. However, I did find out that another term for peanut is 'goober'. ;) No offence intended. Doesn't take much to amuse me.

Peanut likes this.
  3. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

Although Queenstown is rated the second most tricky airport to land in NZ (behind Wellington), it would be an unusual event to prevent you landing.

4. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

Last year we got diverted because of a technical issue with the plane. They don’t have maintenance facilities at Queenstown, and we were told that the plane wouldn’t be able to take off again without the issue being fixed.

5. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Early Days

oh no, I didn't know this was a thing that happens! How does one get to Queenstown then if the plane lands in Christchurch?

6. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

They bus you. They dont always divert to Chch, thats mostly just jetstar. Airnz is more likely to divert to Invercargill. Jetstar will usually quit trying after 2 attempts. AirNZ usually take a few more stabs at it or circle longer.

7. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Early Days

oh man, I'm taking jetstar for August - hope it's not diverted cos I'm getting there 9 am! Don't wanna waste the first day

If Jetstar quits after a couple of attempts compared to other airlines, does that indicate a lower caliber of pilots lol

8. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

I was flying with Air NZ, and they put us up overnight in Christchurch, then put us on a flight to Queenstown the next morning. I believe we were diverted to Christchurch specifically because that’s where the maintenance hangers are.

9. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

I suspect we were just really unlucky last year. There was nothing weather-wise that affected us on the way in, it was a fault with the plane instruments. That probably sounds really bad, but I used to maintain air traffic control equipment in a past life, and I figured that if the fault was really bad, the plane probably wouldn’t be flying at all.

On the way out, we went to the airport at around 11am, even though our flight wasn’t due to leave until 4pm. Long story short, we got told that there was really bad weather inbound and our flight probably wasn’t going to be able to leave because of it. They got us on a flight that left 50 min earlier, which I believe was the last flight that left the airport that day. I heard that the airport got shut down for 3 days due to weather. However, the snow was amazing afterwards from what I was seeing on Facebook.

Snowdayyy likes this.
  10. Secretcookie

Secretcookie Hard Yards

My partner travels regularly for work every 2-3wks, this Thursday was her seventh diversion this year flying into queenstown. Plenty of planes come and go, think she has bad karma, hope your not on a flight with her!

Snowdayyy likes this.
  11. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Early Days

This makes me a bit nervous because I didn't even forsee it but I guess just go with the flow hey

Oh wow that's lucky (or unlucky if you wanted to experience all that fresh snow :p)

I didn't get jetstar flight insurance and now I'm having second thoughts on that, because if a flight gets cancelled I guess I'll have to pay for another flight out

I sure hope I'm not on the same flight then haha

12. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Early Days

After doing much reading on the forum on cancelled flights and what not, I have decided that I need travel insurance :p (I'm pretty new to travelling alone and didn't even think that inclement weather could result in cancelled flights)

Thought I'd ask, for an insurance that covers a change of flight due to weather conditions, should I get jetstar travel insurance because I'm flying with them or are there better options out there?

13. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

Make sure your travel insurance also covers snowsports. You don’t want to be in the situation of having an accident and being up for thousands of dollars worth of medical treatment overseas.

Personally, we use Defence Health travel insurance. We’ve never had to make a travel insurance claim, but those I’ve spoken with who have have said that they are good to deal with.

Snowdayyy likes this.
  14. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Early Days

Honestly, I was gonna skip on the snow insurance part.

15. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

So do I! TBH, as long as we are looked after in terms of accommodation, food and alternate travel arrangements, I’m not too worried.

Last year I organised our arrival so we would have a full day to sort everything out before hitting the snow. It was a good thing I did, because we took up half the day just getting to Queenstown.

16. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

Our insurance for 10 days for 2 adults and 2 children was around $120 from memory. Not a lot to spend for peace of mind.

Snowdayyy likes this.
  17. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Early Days

Okay yeah great point. I think AAMI will be cheapest for a basic policy that includes snowsports - it came to $103 for me. Given how much I'm already gonna be spending I should probably get it I reckon.

18. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

As an Australian, you are entitled to ACC in NZ, if you have an accident, all costs will be paid, however this wont recover repatriation or on going care..

Snowdayyy likes this.
  19. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Early Days

Just looked this up. So does this mean I won't need insurance that covers snow sports?

20. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Insurance should also cover evacuation (helis, upgrades for flights if you smash yourself up), lost luggage, alternate transport and accommodation for delays etc etc etc. If you are confident that ACC will cover that it's your call. I would be surprised if they did.

There is a simple rule for travel - if you can't afford the insurance you can't afford to travel.

Snowdayyy likes this.
  21. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Early Days

Yup, that's a great rule. I was trying to see if I can get away with jetstar's flight insurance which covers the luggage and delays and the stuff that can happen related only to the flights. But I can definitely afford the hundred or so bucks for the comprehensive insurance if I need to

22. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Early Days

Sorry for hijacking this post with questions on insurance. Safe to say I've educated myself a lot on this topic today :p

Super excited for your trip, the trip will be upon you before you know it ;)

23. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

No worries. Glad that you’ve been able to get some useful info. I hope you enjoy your trip and that you don’t find yourself in a situation where you need to make an insurance claim.

Snowdayyy likes this.
  24. Red_switch

Red_switch Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - 30 Day

It's unusual to meet a commercial pilot that is enthusiastic about Queenstown.

25. Red_switch

Ski Pass - 30 Day

ACC is great, but you still need travel insurance.
    https://www.acc.co.nz/im-injured/injuries-we-cover/what-we-cover/

A decent proportion of your lift ticket goes to ACC.

26. GlenH

GlenH Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

I broke my arm at Ohau 3 years ago and was treated well in Wanaka, recovering the minimal costs through my travel insurance.

Most of my costs were actually back home and were outside the insurance cover!

27. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Early Days

28. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

Yep! Only 4 days to go now.

On a related note, hubby’s sister has just informed him that the 20 year old rear entry boots he wants to take over may not be compatiable with more modern ski bindings. Probably should find that out before we drag his yeti-sized boots to NZ...

29. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

Got into Queenstown uneventfully yesterday. Mstr 7 had a meltdown while we were waiting to clear passport control. It didn’t help that they only had 2 counters open, and one of them was occupied by the same family for at least 10 minutes.

Now to get settled in. Today’s plans include a grocery shop, sorting out lift passes and equipment hire for hubby, and maybe a trip to the aquatic centre.

Also, I’m not sure what is going on with waking up at dark o’clock when I’ve moved forward 2 hours.

Snowdayyy and Untele-whippet like this.
  30. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Early Days

Glad to see the plane wasn't detoured! How's the snow looking!!

I remember you mentioning New World, as well as Pak N Save and Countdown which are supposedly cheaper. Which one did you opt for for your groceries?

31. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Pak n Save all daaaay. Haha.

Its very dark here, we are quite far south. about 4 Degrees south of tassie even.

Snowdayyy likes this.
  32. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

Sorry for the late response, got caught up playing on the snow, then settling back in once we got home.

Snow was awesome for the first couple of days, then it got a bit icey. I did an all day group lesson the first day and had a really good instructor who explained parallel turns in a way I understood. I spent the rest of the trip working on perfecting my turns.

Both of my boys did 3 days of Kea Club. Mstr 9 (the skiier) really enjoyed it, and even had one instructor take them to do an easy box jump. Mstr 7 (the snowboarder) enjoyed the first day of Kea Club, but didn’t cope well with the change of instructor each day. For the second and third day, he ended up one-on-one with an instructor. He is definitely making progress, but he seems to have processing issues (not surprising, given he has autism) and will shut down if he is getting physically or mentally tired. He did like spending time with all his instructors, but the one he had on the third day was particularly good. He’s not adaptive trained, but he said he has spent a lot of time with kids who have autism and enjoys spending time with them. He was able to get Mstr 7 to slide short stretches by himself, which is a big win in my books. We ended up booking in a 2 hour private lesson with the same instructor the next day, which went really well.

Mstr 9 had a day to just ski with us on our last day, and he was getting really insistent about riding the Curvey Basin chair. Hubby took him up at first, and said that while he skiied in snowplough the whole way down, he wasn’t daunted at all. I decided that if my 9 year old can ski blue runs, then so can I. I wasn’t the most confident, but I managed to get back down without hurting myself.

For groceries, we went to Pak n Save. We caught the bus there fine, but according to the Choice (public transport) app, we needed to walk back down to the Frankton hub to catch a return bus. That was really fun with two children and several heavy bags of groceries. Will definitely take backpacks next time.

We also discovered the aquatic centre, which was great entertainment for the kids on the days we weren’t on the snow. Entry was $8 for adults and $4 for kids. They have two hydroslides, which cost an extra $5 for a wristband to be able to ride. The kids went sliding, hubby swam laps in the 25m pool, and I alternated between the hot pool and the lazy river.

Snowdayyy likes this.
  33. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

By dark o’clock, I meant 4:30am local time. Given it would have been 2:30am on the east coast of Australia, and I was wide awake and unable to get to sleep, I was very unhappy. From memory, I was in bed by 8pm that night and slept through until my alarm went off at 7am the following morning.

34. Red_switch

Ski Pass - 30 Day

Haha ugh. Is it even much cheaper?

35. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Yeah it is but NW still cheap on some stuff. NW also doesnt sell fried chicken and chips so it loses alot of points.

36. Red_switch

Ski Pass - 30 Day

Whaaaa? NW does most other places.

I've always been pretty disappointed by pak n save fruit n vege.