1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

3AW 11AM NEWS TODAY - BAW BAW OUT FOR TENDER

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by surfnski, Nov 1, 2013.

1. surfnski

surfnski Hard Yards

We didnt think it was going to happen, but 3AW confirmed this morning that the admistration of Lake Mountain is up for a 3 year renewal, and Mount Baw Baw was also out for tender. Oh dear, I dont think its going to be good!

2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I think that is good. LM was far better run this past winter than it ever has been in the past.

3. surfnski

surfnski Hard Yards

4. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG]

#4 Bogong, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  5. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Interesting but not unexpected. Don't know much about LM situation, revert to the honourable teckel for that one, but I have always maintained that the management of BB by the board has been the issue for many years. As previously mentioned on another thread, RMB's are deeply flawed and I question whether they ever employ the right people for the job. That, plus the legislation they must work under almost seem to encourage financial wasteage,lack of foresight, over-regulation, etc, it is a sytem that does not work yet we stick with it because of no alternative, abit like local government! Anyway, let's hope this is the start of something beneficial to the resort and it's patrons, and maybe a new way of doing things.

6. teckel

The way it will work is that the private operator will report to the RMB. But the RMB will have very little if any say in the day to day running of the resort.
    At LM this past winter, the staff were happy, the stakeholders were happy and the customers were happy, despite there being very little natural snow. The manager listened to suggestions for improvement and has implemented or begun to implement many of those. If the same company (Belgravia Leisure) get LM for the next 3 years, I think they'll start to really change the way it operates to eliminate a lot of the wastage and invest in the future. To be honest, Belgravia Leisure is the best thing to happen to LM in years. When it was announced last December that Belgravia were to run it for a year, I was worried, very worried. Even at the start of the season, I was concerned - we were fed the same crap that we're always fed but means nothing. But this time, it happened. I really didn't need to worry.

7. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Having skied at BB for a long time (over 30years), pretty much my only concern is that those lifts keep turning, and the snowmaking is fired up whenever conditions are right. All the other stuff is peripheral.
    Teckel, how did LM go with pricing under private operations? I know that LM doesn't have lifts but I'm wondering if private operators at BB may result in higher entrance and lift prices.

8. teckel

Entry fees went up by $2. Still the highest in the land ($52 on a weekend). I don't know though if that was decided by Belgravia or the RMB. Entries could be had for $10 less by purchasing online or from the off-mountain ski hires. I queried it at some point with them and they indicated they thought it was crazy too. We'll have to wait and see what they do next winter. Hopefully, they'll lower the entry fees - that would be a first!

Snow-making - the best it's ever been at LM. Despite almost no natural snow, they kept the main toboggan run covered in 15 cm the whole season, and the second toboggan run similarly for much of the season. Snow-makers were turned on whenever possible. I think they fully understand that without snow (and good snow) the punters won't come.

9. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Good chance ( as happened last time BB was floated for private tender ) nobody would touch it as it does not make money.
    Does it turn a real profit these days ? you would guess not given the poor snow reliability

10. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

build mtb tracks like Buller and Thredbo.

11. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

#11 Charlie, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  12. vet

vet One of Us

The invitation for tenders is available now. The govt wants the operator to put money into BB even though I thought the resorts result in the State Govt making $650m a season. Hmmm. Maybe it's time the beancounters in Spring Street realised that suporting resorts supports local economies that put $ back in Spring Street's coffers.

13. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

A quick look at that offering shows it to be poor compared to Buller and Thredbo.

This sort of activity should be bread and butter to smaller resorts close to a major city.

#13 Seth, Nov 4, 2013
  14. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I don't think they have cross country tracks (mtn bike ones not ski ones) they only have downhill? Bullers got heaps of XC tracks

+ they need to make the place more accessible by making the roads wider, feels like your going to have a head on crash every corner. Hate driving up there

#14 TeleXC, Nov 4, 2013
  15. Charlie

If you're a bit timid on the Tourist Road, give the South Face Road a go!

16. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Any idea how such a development might affect other stakeholders, Charlie, like business owners, for example, or is it too early to speculate? I find Teckel's enthusiasm for the new management at LM quite noteworthy.

17. Charlie

No idea just yet, hope more will be forthcoming soon!

18. ice_man

ice_man One of Us

Most of the XC ski trails are open to bikes but they are by no means MTB tracks. There's so much Baw Baw can do with the terrain they have, and I can't really see how building a narrow bike trail would have that much of an impact on the environment.

19. FastFarmer

FastFarmer Hard Yards

Did anyone get hold of the EOI? Did it say anything intelligent?

I see http://mountbawbaw.com.au/tender/ is still promoting the environment and baw baw frog as what they want the mountain to be about. ROFL

20. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

From the recently released 2013 annual report,available on their website, it looks like the resort is down by at least 3mill compared to 2012 season, if I am reading the numbers correctly! This would have to have some bearing for whoever is putting a tender in, which I believe will be revealed end of march. My hunch is that Grollo or Belgravia are in the running, but will either ultimately be interested?