1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

3G (mobile internet) service availability in Thredbo

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Gimped, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Gimped

Gimped One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I'm wondering who has the best connects in Thredbo? Telstra, virgin, etc
    We will be staying in the Woodridge area if it makes any difference.

Cheers [​IMG]

#1 Gimped, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. DaveT

DaveT Hard Yards

I am with Telstra and receive strong signal strength including 3G data over most of the piste areas at Thredbo. My sons are with Optus and Virgin and struggled.

3. Hobber

Hobber A Local

Telstra. Hands down. Telstra also has much better coverage enroute throughout regional Australia.

(Don't work at Telstra or have any affiliation.)

4. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Telstra is a no brainer - if you don't mind paying the premium for it.

5. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Or do what I did, and find a cheaper telco, who uses Telstra's network.

6. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

There are only 2 networks, Telstra and Optus. The others use those networks.
    I use Vodaphone (telstra) and Optus.

The locals hate the telstra network it is unreliable and can drop out for days on end and does often. Not that Optus doesn't - it just doesn't do it as regularly.

Reception will depend on your modem. I'm on a pocket WiFi and the best USB Optus claim to have. In three years I've had better speeds with Optus and could even manage high speed inside Valley Terminal (a place you'll often get not even phone reception)

The pocket WiFi sits in the best corner of my unit for reception and until I built a dish of foil behind it couldn't hold a 3G signal, it often runs slow, even connected to 3G, during peak times.

Optus e367 usb modem will stay connected to HSPA with the additional antena attached and the antena jammed into a coke bottle to keep it upright. During heavier weather events I need to find the right location in my unit - which is different to the WiFi's.

I have no idea about Woodridge though imagine you'll struggle.

Optus used to claim to have no 3G coverage in Thredbo even when I would be staring at a modem connected to 3G. Telstra will tell you there is nothing wrong with the service when everyone using their network cannot even make a phone call.

7. choc

choc One of Us

I've never had a problem with Telstra at all, and never heard of anyone who has? It can be slow during peak times, but most of the time it's sweet. Works alright in Woodridge too... Optus doesn't.

8. Gimped

Thanks everyone. I have bought a telstra elite wifi, which gives me 5 gb of data and a personal wifi hotspot all in 1 portable device. Cheers everyone, will let you know how it all works out.

9. CRATAN

CRATAN Hard Yards

for 3G not 2G
    Vodafone are 2100Mhz & 900Mhz , Telstra are 850Mhz & 2100Mhz, Hutchinson 2100 Mhz and Optus are 2100Mhz & 900Mhz,

Not sure what the story is now that Vodafone and Hutchinson are merging or merged, Vodafone are rolling out their own 850Mhz network

the link below seems mostly correct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodafone_Hutchison_Australia

anyhow regarless of numbers and even though they can be a bunch of shunts to deal with Telstra have the best performing network

Ta Muchly

hmm can two networks use same frequency (850 Mhz) or are Telstra are letting Vodafone roam to the Nextg(850Mhz) network ?

#9 CRATAN, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  10. Gimped

Just an update. Telstra reception is 5 bars of goodness at woodridge. Although I haven't formally tested download speeds, latency etc is wonderful!

11. SCHUSS SKI TEAM

SCHUSS SKI TEAM One of Us

Is that right? But to my knowledge if you want the next G network you need to go directly through Telstra? They don't let other companies resell nextG or am I missing something?

#11 SCHUSS SKI TEAM, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  12. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If you want consistent coverage in areas with marginal or patchy reception (e.g. the mountains) then Telstra is the only option. I even got a letter from Optus (my old CDMA provider - remember that?) to say so. I spent a week at Thredbo this year and had reception on my NextG phone all over the resort. My daughter, who's on Virgin (i.e. Optus network), was blacked out on the whole lower half of the mountain (or so she said - hmm...) It's a pity Telstra are such wankers to deal with.

13. DaveT

DaveT Hard Yards

Agreed. Telstra is the way to go particularly in regional areas.

14. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Vodaphone doesn't work at all here. But I get 5 bars with Telstra NextG (They put up a massive concrete tower after Black Saturday)

#14 teckel, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  15. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Vodafail has gone backwards at Thredbo in the last 2 years. I used to get great reception sitting in the bus outside the Alpine Apartments but yesterday there was nothing anywhere around that part of the village. Black Sallees was also a dead zone.

I did get a reasonable signal at Friday Flat and in the lodge (behind the Denman). It's as patchy as hell.

16. Matt_B

Matt_B First Runs

Telstra is the best everywhere except Guthega. Go Optus at Guthega.

I have used Telstra 3G all over Thredbo, never had an issue.