1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

4wd only?

Discussion in 'Ben Lomond' started by flurojack, Jul 22, 2011.

1. flurojack

flurojack First Runs

Hey guys looking to head up this sat 2/7 morn for the day - will i need a 4wd or can i just take my holden astra with snow chains? I got caught out last time I went up and needed a 4wd with chains fitted - but that was just before the season started - just wanted to check. cheers!

2. Hobber

Hobber A Local

#2 Hobber, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  3. Shrek

Shrek Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

this is posted in the ben lomond forum so it is a pretty safe bet as to where he is.

4. flurojack

flurojack First Runs

Ben Lomond. I have been up before in my 2wd with chains, but it depends on the conditions i think. Jacobs ladder can be pretty slippery. Does anyone know what the conditions are for the road up Ben Lomond? [​IMG]

#4 flurojack, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  5. Maxcimus

Maxcimus Hard Yards

Hey mate you need to carry chains with all vehicles anyway so if you don't have chains for your 4wd the 2wd is the only option!

Personally though I would get chains for the 4wd and take that to avoid the possibility of using chains. Your much less likely to need them with a 4wd. Chains are annoying to put on and you can end up covered in mud.

The road should be clear but could ice up so you won't really know until you get there