5 years since the M9 Tohoku Earthquake in Japan.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
It's been 5 years since the Magnitude 9.0 Tohoku Earthquake and tsunami hit Japan at 2:46pm (JST) on 11th March 2011. It lasted 6 minutes.
And then the follow up nuclear disaster at Fukushima.

I was looking back at the thread that I posted 2 days before, recording the shaking of the M7.2 quake, that ended up being the PRE shock for the big one, two days later:
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/earthquake-in-japan.44453/

The morning of the big quake, I posted this:

There's been a total of 34 aftershocks(Mag4.5) for that 7.2 quake, including two greater than 6.0, and 16 greater than 5.0!!!!
eek.gif

There's SOMETHING happening around that area!!!!

In some ways, it's very quite spooky reading that thread again

In the period afterwards:
"As of 6 December 2013 there have been a total of 776 aftershocks of 5.0 Mw or greater, 112 of 6.0 Mw or greater, and 8 over 7.0 Mw as reported by the Japanese Meteorological Agency."

On the day, there were a number of huge aftershocks:
A magnitude 7.4 Mw at 15:08 (JST), 7.9 Mw at 15:15 and a 7.7 Mw quake at 15:26 all occurred on 11 March.
I remember walking across a road bridge over a railway line when the second aftershock hit (M7.9). I had to stop walking as I was unable to put one foot in front of the other!!

It astounded, amazed and fascinated me at the time, that the earth could move that much under your feet.
It reminds me that another huge quake could strike pretty much at any time here in Japan.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I remember the live TV, watching in awe... can't ever remember another time where they were filming a tsunami live & broadcasting it around the world.

I never saw any of that, because I was stuck in a place and time, immobilised by the quake, unable to access information.....

The only thing that gave me an inkling of the danger of the tsunami unfolding, was going into Shin Yokohama station (near work), trying to find out if/when any trains would run. The screen that normally shows train info, was showing a scrolling list of places names in Japanese and measurements in "m". I saw Tokyo (0.5m) and Yokohama (1.0m), and realised that it was a list of tsunami heights.... it was then that I started seeing 4.5m, 5.0m, 6.0m, and realised that this would be a terrible death toll.

DeskRider

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 13, 2011
Melbourne
Remember watching apartment buildings swaying like palm trees from the office window and being called to get away from the windows and get under the desk by co-workers.
Got evacuated and then went back in, tuned into al jazeera on the PC and saw the first wave hit Sendai airport.

That evening, walked from Shinjuku to Tamachi along the Yamaote to stay at a friends house, was living in Yokohama - a bit far to hoof on foot. Such a weird feeling in Tokyo that night, so many people in the streets trying to get home - so quiet.

Reactions: TACKIE and Sandy

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
I remember it all too well. I was standing at the ticket office in Ikebukuro station about to buy a ticket to Narita. The movement was terrible, but the duration of it was worse. Never been so worried in my life. Shortly after all the big screens in and around the station were showing live footage of tsunami waves hitting the coast line. I had to stop watching when the realisation hit that I was probably watching people die. My thoughts still go out to all those that suffered.

Reactions: Sandy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
A lot of people don't.
For such a devastating quake its been pushed back unfortunately.
I do. I remember watching those elevated roads swaying and really weighing up weather or not to visit Japan for the first time. The season following the Sendai/Fukushima thing, I was there with bells on.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Kobe has recovered amazingly well though hey.
Its quite a sterile yet cool spot.
You look at somewhere like Christchurch and realise... its never going to be the same.

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Forgive me if I am wrong but I don't think the Kobe quake caused such a devastating tsunami

Reactions: Hyst

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Forgive me if I am wrong but I don't think the Kobe quake caused such a devastating tsunami
There was two "asperities" located along the fault line near Kobe. The first ruptured followed by the second. These were located mostly under land or shallow water. This combined with Kobe lying on a silt plain made the movement worse for the strip of land between the sea and the hills.

image005.gif

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I remember both.

My cousin was teaching English in Kobe at that time. She didn't stay, and hasn't returned to Japan since. Traumatised is an understatement.

My son had just returned to Perth after a season away 5 years ago. Many of his mates were stranded while the flights sorted themselves out.

I was just reading about some of the towns in Fukushima that are just now being cleared as safe for people to return. Such a huge impact on people's lives. My thoughts are with those effected then and now.

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
5 years on and I still can't watch the footage of the disaster. Watching NHK tonight, amazing stories good will and survival but also stories of sadness and a rebuild process that is a very long way from completion.

winter

One of Us
May 6, 2010
southern highlands, nsw
This evening,5 years ago my children were sleeping under a table, with no idea of what was going on. Actually, as adults we had no idea what was unfolding. As I said in a previous thread, i give gratitude for my life on this anniversary. The day the earth moved under my feet... so lucky

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
This evening,5 years ago my children were sleeping under a table, with no idea of what was going on. Actually, as adults we had no idea what was unfolding. As I said in a previous thread, i give gratitude for my life on this anniversary. The day the earth moved under my feet... so lucky

Certainly was a significant & terrible day in so many ways. Like you, I couldn't believe my decision to travel down on the trains from Aomori to Gunma the day before, rather than on the 11th. I was laying awake with my survival pack in Gunma, listening and feeling the aftershocks all night, praying there wasn't going to be another big one.

Went back to Japan for the first time this year, had strange feelings travelling along south along that line.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Always sad when I think of this event. So much loss and so much bravery to prevent an even bigger tragedy.

In January 2012 my mogul skier went to compete at the Listel in Fukushima prefecture. Until lots of people question the wisdom of doing this it did not occur to us to be concerned. When we thought about it there were very few reasons for not going and lots of reasons to go.

Having seen the footage of the Tsunami, when I drive to the coast near my place I can understand how so much damage happened. There are expansive flat areas where nothing but the man made infrastructure is raised. So where you have that geography there is nothing to stop the water as it comes in.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
From yesterday - 5 years ago - we were riding in a van heading to a friend's ryokan for the night. We were stopped at some lights and the car began to move. At first we thought it was my daughter jumping around in the back but then we saw the street lights swaying. We didn't think too much of it at the time but when we arrived at the ryokan we were told of what had happened further north. We checked into our room, turned on the TV and were shocked at what we saw.

During the night there were two local quakes - both around 5-6 magnitude. It was pretty much the only time I was ever scared by a quake here (I've been in some doozies) and we didn't sleep much all night. Our daughter slept under the kotatsu for protection. First thing the following morning we caught a train to Nagoya that was packed to overflowing, almost like a refugee train with people fleeing the north. There were babies crying and unkempt people sitting on boxes and suitcases - possessions obviously grabbed in a hurry. The shinkansen were still not running and this train down through central Japan was one of the few routes open. The next day when we landed in Malaysia I just wanted to kiss the ground. 5 years on the scars are still quite clear here in Japan. I hope there isn't a repeat anytime soon.

This is just one of thousands of intimately sad personal stories.
http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2013/s3884420.htm

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
From yesterday - 5 years ago - we were riding in a van heading to a friend's ryokan for the night. We were stopped at some lights and the car began to move. At first we thought it was my daughter jumping around in the back but then we saw the street lights swaying. We didn't think too much of it at the time but when we arrived at the ryokan we were told of what had happened further north. We checked into our room, turned on the TV and were shocked at what we saw.

During the night there were two local quakes - both around 5-6 magnitude. It was pretty much the only time I was ever scared by a quake here (I've been in some doozies) and we didn't sleep much all night. Our daughter slept under the kotatsu for protection. First thing the following morning we caught a train to Nagoya that was packed to overflowing, almost like a refugee train with people fleeing the north. There were babies crying and unkempt people sitting on boxes and suitcases - possessions obviously grabbed in a hurry. The shinkansen were still not running and this train down through central Japan was one of the few routes open. The next day when we landed in Malaysia I just wanted to kiss the ground. 5 years on the scars are still quite clear here in Japan. I hope there isn't a repeat anytime soon.

This is just one of thousands of intimately sad personal stories.
http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2013/s3884420.htm

The Man in the ABC story, NORIO KUMURA, sounds like a man who relocated to Hakuba after the tsunami, and returns to search for his daughter. Not sure if he is still living in Hakuba.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Five years, huh?

Would've sworn it was not last year but maybe the year before that. :confused:

Time flies when you're having fun... skiing.
Me too!!!!
Far out!!
Where did that 5 years go???

Reactions: JoeKing

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
The footage of the tsunami is the most amazing and terrifying thing I have seen in my life.
I've felt a lot of earthquakes. That is something else...

Last edited:

Hauffy

Hard Yards
Nov 17, 2013
Brisbane
Met my future wife in Tokyo 3 days before the quake. Freaked me out watching it on TV knowing I'd been there a couple of days earlier. She couldn't get home for 5 days.

mr muddle

Hard Yards
Jun 3, 2016
I did a tour of a Tokyo datacentre last week and they showed me the scratch plate from that day. 600mm was the lateral shift. No outage at the datacentre

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass