$550m fund to “fast track” better mobile and broadband coverage

ski2much

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 21, 2016
Please read to help illustrate the Internet speed and connectivity problems at Mt Buller to the Vic Govt.

The Vic Government has a $550m fund to “fast track” better mobile and broadband coverage.

I have been talking to them and NBN for some time about the poor broadband and the challenges that it is causing for us at Mt Buller.

As part of this process they are asking for people who are having issues to “tell” them.

On the website https://engage.vic.gov.au/connecting-victoria there is an option to type in an address to help illustrate there is a problem, and what the problem is.

I urge everyone in this group (assuming that you are having problems!) to put in your address at Buller to register the broadband and internet issue.

$550m is a lot of money - we need to make sure that some of it helps fix the myriad of problems with internet connectivity up here. Please get to it.

As an aside the current internet solution by NBN is satellite internet - this "solution" means that for every 3 flats or apartments there needs to be a dish placed on the roof. 15 apartments = 5 dishes (and thats only if someone allows another apartment to run a cable from one box to another). If they can't get to your roof - then no NBN for you. No Streaming Video except on an expensive plan.

Please complete the form as soon as possible - https://engage.vic.gov.au/connecting-victoria

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
There are other alternatives too

at Falls some of the businesses decided to go another way. there is now private fibre broadband supplier, with plans for home and clubs as well as the big guys. they also provide an FTA TV feed. we ditched our landline, ADSL2 and satellite TV and went with the private fibre

Others on here have spoken about the starlink service that is getting started. lots of mini satellites at quite low orbit so less latency than traditional satellite services

Reactions: Chaeron

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
As an aside the current internet solution by NBN is satellite internet - this "solution" means that for every 3 flats or apartments there needs to be a dish placed on the roof. 15 apartments = 5 dishes (and thats only if someone allows another apartment to run a cable from one box to another). If they can't get to your roof - then no NBN for you. No Streaming Video except on an expensive plan.

But yes I agree with everything and will gladly sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaeron

Goon_Squad

Hard Yards
Jun 4, 2019
Please read to help illustrate the Internet speed and connectivity problems at Mt Buller to the Vic Govt.

The Vic Government has a $550m fund to “fast track” better mobile and broadband coverage.

I have been talking to them and NBN for some time about the poor broadband and the challenges that it is causing for us at Mt Buller.

As part of this process they are asking for people who are having issues to “tell” them.

On the website https://engage.vic.gov.au/connecting-victoria there is an option to type in an address to help illustrate there is a problem, and what the problem is.

I urge everyone in this group (assuming that you are having problems!) to put in your address at Buller to register the broadband and internet issue.

$550m is a lot of money - we need to make sure that some of it helps fix the myriad of problems with internet connectivity up here. Please get to it.

Please complete the form as soon as possible - https://engage.vic.gov.au/connecting-victoria
Great idea, have just added my own form for our lodge on The Avenue

Reactions: CarveMan

Dave Clark

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
Mt Buller
twitter.com

Second this! Please everyone who has issues log them on this form. I would recommend each individual do a submission, which has greater impact than one submission for a whole lodge for example.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
my comments to the survey mostly looked at the two issue that effect me most.

Upload speed, here I get about 800kbs (ADSL).

No real NBN option, the satellite option is useless, as the dish has to be up high and then there is no way to remove snow from it. As well as expensive, slow plan options make it no better the ADSL.

The village is very small, and could use existing copper and a VDSL connections to get plenty of bandwidth to the exchange, where I understand there is plenty of fibre off mountain. At least all those roadside signs up the road, say fibre below.

Then I could stream up to 4, 4k cameras like this one that points at Stirling... (you will have to take my word for that, today)

1627093672313.png

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Here is an example 4k video file (~30MB) uploaded to YouTube

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
No real NBN option, the satellite option is useless, as the dish has to be up high and then there is no way to remove snow from it. As well as expensive, slow plan options make it no better the ADSL.
NBN satellite sucks. If you’re going to get satellite get Starlink.

But yes the distances in the village make VDSL extremely viable and wouldn’t take a whole lot of work.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
I believe the road block to VDSL is that Telstra own the wires and pits here, unlike in Melbourne where a deal was done to sell that infrastructure to the NBN company. So to move in that direction, NBN need to buy those assets from Telstra, or duplicate it all, which might not be that expensive to do, to get brand new over whatever condition the current asset is in. Much of what the NBN bought in Melbourne was rubbish and not used.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I believe the road block to VDSL is that Telstra own the wires and pits here, unlike in Melbourne where a deal was done to sell that infrastructure to the NBN company. So to move in that direction, NBN need to buy those assets from Telstra, or duplicate it all, which might not be that expensive to do, to get brand new over whatever condition the current asset is in. Much of what the NBN bought in Melbourne was rubbish and not used.
You’d think that owning a deteriorating copper network in an environment like ours would be a liability instead of an asset….

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
they are getting full $ from me for it and I'm sure it's paid for, easy money now, and not that old really, compared to the copper in Melbourne. It might not be the basket case that so much of Melbourne was.

benzerknees

Hard Yards
Oct 16, 2010
they are getting full $ from me for it and I'm sure it's paid for, easy money now, and not that old really, compared to the copper in Melbourne. It might not be the basket case that so much of Melbourne was.
I suspect if there is fiber running up the hill, it will be used for the telco's backhaul from mobile locations on the mountain.

While you are all waiting for NBN, what I have done in Merrijig is buy a dedicated 3G/4G WIFI router. I have connected a high gain directional antenna pointing towards Telstra/Optus Site Pollard & Hearns Rds Hilltop about 8km away. There is even a hill in the way but if not too much congestion I can get 30 mbps down and 15 mbps up, faster than my ADSL in Melb ever was.

My cheap way for data is the aldi family plan at $80 / month and 80 Gig of data (with roll over) across up to 4 sims. (which roams on Telstra.) Of course one sim goes into router to gobble up the data. At Buller, if you have a window facing towards the telstra exchange an external antenna may be unnecessary for good speeds. Many of course will use their phone as a wifi hotspot but a dedicated router is so much more reliable for a good connection.

Here is a list of the antennas at the Mt Buller exchange list: https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl//site_search.site_lookup?pSITE_ID=301311
If you look at the available frequencies you will see mainly 700 , 800 and 1800 mhz frequencies.
My antenna is tuned for the 800 mhz spectrum (3G) but works fine for the 700 mhz spectrum (4G). The 1800 mhz spectrum is also 4G but does not bend as well if there is no line of sight to the tower.

Interestingly (for nerds) there is a point to point antenna also listed (the 150 mhz one) connecting to telephone box junction at Stirling.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I have had a ’backup’ Optus mobile 4G router for some time, and I finally got off my bum and transferred the plan to an eSIM in my phone. My apartment has awful Telstra reception, as did the lodge I used to stay in across the road, but Optus has a tower on top of the ski school which is line-of-sight. Right now I’m gettin 180 down 9 up, it’s not getting smashed right now as it would on a weekend or a school holiday though. But there isn’t enough data on a plan for what we like to use, lots of Kayo sport streaming for starters.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
I suspect if there is fiber running up the hill, it will be used for the telco's backhaul from mobile locations on the mountain.

I believe the fibre went in when Latrobe University was operating, when you run a fibre cable it has a lot of fibres in it, as they are small and cheap compared to the overall cost of the cable and the installation. I would be very surprised if it was anywhere close to capacity. I must work on finding out more details. Getting to the bottom on the mountain might not be the issue. As the power limitation is also fine to Mirimbah, it is the next leg that is the limitation. Soon to be upgraded. :)

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
BSL have commeneted on the lack of bandwidth for quite some time.

That is why I think the issue might be below Mirimbah. note to self, must get more info..

I think Stuart was quoted $20 million to get fibre to his building, one would hope that was not to cost to go the 200 metres to the Buller exchange.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Starlink is certainly a good option, might even push NBN to do what they are paid to do. It is yet to be seen how the speeds hold up once large numbers of customers get onto Starlink. Large storms can limit satellite throughput, even large 18m network dishes could have issues in big storms, not sure how well the starlink platform will hold up. Energy usage, including lunch costs etc could make Starlink a poor option, when fibre is an doable. I would prefer not to send money off shore for something that can be supplied locally.

ski2much

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 21, 2016
Yes - that is the case - TLS owning the pits and wires. they also own the fibre up the mountain.

ski2much

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 21, 2016
BSL have commeneted on the lack of bandwidth for quite some time.

That is why I think the issue might be below Mirimbah. note to self, must get more info..

I think Stuart was quoted $20 million to get fibre to his building, one would hope that was not to cost to go the 200 metres to the Buller exchange.
A desktop quote of 9.5m to 10.5m - But NBN have refused to provide it in writing :-(

benzerknees

Hard Yards
Oct 16, 2010
A desktop quote of 9.5m to 10.5m - But NBN have refused to provide it in writing :-(
While waiting for NBN, here's something to think about:

Telecommunications wholesalers are permitted to build their own fiber network. https://dgtek.net/ is a case in point. It is duplicating NBN but with higher speeds and lower costs. It has cherry picked areas with high density housing which I guess makes it feasible for Melbourne. It then by law has to resell through a service provider. ( I suspect it may also own several of the resellers.)

Perhaps in partnership with a willing Telco, you (Mt Buller Stakeholders) could lease the telstra pits to lay the fiber but with some summer manpower and equipment from BSL and RMB, you could lay your own fiber around the main roads of the village reasonably cheaply with no middle man to pay. Telstra would for sure have available bandwidth to lease on their fiber backhaul off the mountain. (The amount of data that can be sent down a single fiber pair is phenomenal, 100 Gbps as nothing special these days.)

So then Buller residents could just pay a for a connection in from the road. And if you had you own Buller Co-Op ISP maybe not so expensive to install from the road and to subscribe.......Should get change from the $10,000,000 NBN quote price anyways.

Just an idea that keeps my mind off all that snow on the mountain ATM.

Reactions: CarveMan

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Telstra would for sure have available bandwidth to lease on their fiber backhaul off the mountain.
That’s the thing, I don’t think they do. It was originally set up for the university, BSL and RMB now occupy that building, and BSL have had to set up a microwave link between the Koflers drive station and Mansfield to get adequate bandwidth.

Given the near infinite speeds provided by fibre there must be a bottleneck further down the hill.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass