+70 season pass

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by chrisj, Sep 12, 2018.

1. chrisj

chrisj Early Days

The question of 70+ season passes arose in the Perisher snow report thread, so I brought it here so as not to distract from that thread.
    @oldgeezer lamented that he would not qualify for a Perisher season pass in 2021 because his birthday was too late in June.
    I replied that I didn't think that would be a problem in Thredbo, (because I had obtained a 70+ season pass immediately after my birthday in mid-July).
    @Townsend posted that that might not be the case and indeed, on reviewing the Thredbo terms and conditions, it appears that you have to be 70 on June 8th to qualify.
    In my innocence, I just rocked up to the ticket office, asked for a season pass, showed my licence and got the 70+ price, presumably in error.
    I inquired at the Perisher ticket office last week and was told I could get a 70+ season pass for next year for $189 (same as Thredbo), or $335 with the ski tube included. I can find nothing online about the season pass for Perisher (they are only pushing the Epic Pass at this stage), so it is unclear what their policy is regarding the cutoff date for turning 70.
    It's far from universal, as I have got a 70+ pass for Ruapehu ($5 !!!) and they clearly state that it is your age when ordering the pass that matters.
    It's a moot point for me at this stage, but if anyone can cast any light on Perisher's policy, it might be of help to others.

Ted Harper likes this.
  2. IAB

IAB A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

I can't shed any light on it, but if you're still skiing at 70+ the resorts should let you ski for nothing. Presumably they've made cash out of you in previous years, give back you tightarses!

Lady Penelope likes this.
  3. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

It might be better to leave confusion in place rather than seek a fixed policy.

chrisj likes this.
  4. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

It used to be free...then too many ex-staff turned 70 and started sending all the ski resorts towards bankruptcy.;)

5. chrisj

chrisj Early Days

I think they thought we'd all be frail. Wrong!

Ted Harper likes this.
  6. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

I certainly hope to be going past 70, both on and off the slopes, maybe even in the interim for a couple of days a year when conditions are top. Funny thing how leading up to retirement I was expecting to get a lot more days in but looking after grandkids, and catching their colds, is becoming more time consuming. Turns out just as well we were not allowed to take the grandsons for snowplay and ski tube ride through the tunnel, which they would have loved, as the younger one had a high temp when he woke after his nap that afternoon, and is still affected.

7. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Yes I think we exchanged views on the skiing babysitting granpa syndrome after last season’ s flu disasters @oldgeezer
    This year I got more days on snow, but the 5 yo turned into a snowplough demon and my job became skiing in front throwing the occasional lollie into the snow so she would slow down and lean forward looking for them.
    I like all your optimism. At 61 I amazed at the number of fit retired skiers my age who only give themselves 10 years on snow left. Planning their own obsolescence.

8. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I'm the opposite. I'm stubbornly insisting that I will keep skiing despite all evidence that this is probably not reasonable.

I have skied with some octogenarians who are very good skiers. certainly plenty in their 70s who are better than I ever was or will be.

Skiing Gus and skifree like this.
  9. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Absolutely. There is no end. And I’m probably skiing better now in terms of technique as I adapt my style for longevity.
    Hmmm.. hope Astro don’t see that comment.

10. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Ski Pass - Gold

Fear not. I have your Tutu to go with your new technique, princess.

Northsail and I were knocking out zipper lines on International, whilst you were mincing around with your new, "Technique" <shakes head>

Olgreg, cin and IAB like this.
  11. IAB

IAB A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

I caught the Blue Calf T bar last year with an 86 year old gent. He had no plans to give it away.

Marty_McSly, Sandy and skifree like this.
  12. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Sorry to be off topic, but as a falls person, would you know of any info on an elderly gent who used to frequent the summit area, usually wore knitted jumpers and drove an old Volvo. I was told he was in eighties about 10 years ago.

13. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I can think of one old guy who I think had a volvo wagon. I think he's still in his 80s now though. Not sure about the jumpers.

Another guy with a then new volvo who only goes to sun peaks now I think. Don't think he was that old though

14. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

He turned 92 this past July and still gets out there...

15. chrisj

chrisj Early Days

Been looking at Bumps for Boomers @Olgreg?

16. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room

Age is partly your physical condition, and partly in the mind..... You can work on both if you have enough determination.
    I skied 29 days last Japanese season, and 37 days the season before. I'm not planning to slow down any time soon!!! ;)

Kopite and Ted Harper like this.
  17. IAB

IAB A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah but I thought you were only 29 ;)

Sandy likes this.
  18. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

No mate but I will check it out. I enjoy bumps but, to paraphrase W Churchill, god only gave your knees a certain number for your lifetime.

19. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

So there goes a good thread. You’re too young for this discussion, plus you lack the necessary empathy and compassion.
    I do remember you whinging and moaning behind me somewhere in Interceptor trees early in the season. Work on your flow rather than your outfit and you might keep up next year.

20. Sandy

More than double that!!! ;)

21. IAB

IAB A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

LOL

Touche!

Olgreg likes this.
  22. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable
    Ski Pass - Gold

Burn ..... LOL

Telemark Phat and Olgreg like this.
  23. chrisj

chrisj Early Days

Yeah, when @Astro66 mentioned skiing with you on International and doing zipper lines while you adopted a longevity-oriented technique, it reminded me of the Bumps for Boomers website. They recommend zipper line skiing as the fastest way to destroy your knees.

oldgeezer likes this.
  24. Sandy

Bumps need not destroy your knees, unless you do them the wrong way. Skiing them loose and flexibly will help to keep your knees intact. I still like skiing moguls....

25. chrisj

chrisj Early Days

Me too, but I don't have the skill to ski zipper lines anyway.

26. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Ski Pass - Gold

Pfffft ........ Empathy and Compassion ??? I'm all out of tissues, Grandpa.

Ski young, Stay young, Gramps.

oldgeezer likes this.
  27. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

The invulnerability of yoof.

28. chrisj

chrisj Early Days

Those whom the gods would punish, they first elevate.

29. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

Ta admins for hiving this off to a separate topic. I haven't checked the latest Epic page for the criteria applicable to next season for the 70+ price. For the chickens have come home to roost, to wit for years I said to MrsOG that we'd postpone tourist trips abroad until we were so old we'd be glad to just watch scenery go past and until then it would be ski vacations. That day has dawned and so off we go a'touristing early August next year meaning no Epic even if the pension would stretch to it. However it will be interesting to see if day tickets are sold to the geriatric demographic on the basis of age on the day rather than on the Queen's Birthday holiday.

Billy_Buttons likes this.