Question A couple of nights between Milan and Aosta

Discussion in 'Europe' started by CarveMan, Jan 10, 2019.

1. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass: Gold

So. We fly in to Milan on the 22nd Feb, we have an apartment in Aosta from the night of the 24th for the week to attend the ski test in Pila.

We'd like to spend 2 nights somewhere relaxing in between. Goal is to get over jet lag and acclimatise baby. And I guess eat some italian food and drink some nice wine. But low expectations.

Will have a car.

Any suggestions on where to do this? One of the lakes? Or are they too cold in Feb?

2. Johnb007

Johnb007 Hard Yards

Turin is a wonderful city. Great museums. Wonderful to walk around the covered shopping areas. Great food. The lakes are also wonderful. Lots of options. I have been there in Feb and lounged in a T-Shirt drinking wine on the deck over Lake Garda, but that was a very warm spell.

CarveMan and Doonks like this.
  3. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

DO NOT go to Bellagio. Super dead season. Was tough finding food for 2 days. I didn’t realise it just shuts down over winter.

4. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Florence is amazing.

Kimski and Apresski like this.
  5. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room

This....Florence is beautiful at any time of year.

6. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room

It's out of season for the lakes.

7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

Um Florence isn’t exactly on the way.....

We will be out of season pretty much anywhere we go, and I don’t mind, as long as there are a few things open we will be fine.

Lake Orta looks nice.

8. Johnb007

Johnb007 Hard Yards

Depends what you like. Lake Orta is very peaceful and lovely. However I would really recommend Turin staying downtown. It is directly on the way. Great ambiance. It has a really good Egyptian museum, a fabulous Italian renaissance art museum almost as good as the Uffici, a fantastic car museum, 2 big palace type museums full of art and weapons with incredible huge ornate rooms, plus wonderful window shopping and restaurants. The whole downtown is colonnaded so you can walk for kilometres all undercover whist looking at really cool shop window displays. All of the above are together within walking distance downtown, except the car museum which is about 5km from the centre, and you can drive there as it has good parking or you can take a bus or tram there. Oh and if you go make sure you check the parking situation at the hotel. It can be non existent or very expensive or no problem. Best to check before you pay. Good luck.

9. willsnow

willsnow Hard Yards

I'm facing similar situation where we're thinking of going to Italian lakes area after our Zermatt trip and before our Torino trip. This will be at the beginning of March this year.

The best stop over for us is at Stresa at Lake Maggiore, but it looks like the town is in shutdown mode until mid or late March. Although the travel to Como (the town) is further than Stresa and a bit out of the way, it is probably where we will most likely end up as it is a bigger town with higher probabilities that shops/restaurants will be opened. I've read that ferries on Italian lakes run at a very reduced timetable during winter, just in case you're planning to take the ferries to enjoy the lake.

10. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

Yeah Como is an option for us too as there will be a little bit open.

Like I said we really don't need much, just some rest to get bub into the time zone. Certainly won't be gallery/museum hopping etc.

11. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room

Sirmione on Lake Garda is nice too, or you can stay at Desenzano next door.

12. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend

13. Johnb007

Johnb007 Hard Yards

I have stayed in Sirmione many times including Feb and March. Yes 75% of it is shut down but the crowds are down 95% so you can get a room and meals no trouble, and the streets are not crowded. It is the wrong way though from Milan. I think Como is too industrial. Go up the lake a bit to say Mennagio. Wonderful. Very quite but the views are fantastic.

CarveMan and Apresski like this.
  14. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room

Yeah true. Just a nice pleasant little place with great views. Shouldn't be too touristy there at that time of year.
    However, it's a bit of a trip from Aosta and Milan (although with the high speed Italian trains it's not too bad from Milan, just need to change to catch a regional train to stop at Desenzano. Probably quicker than the car, which CM has.

15. sunpeaker

sunpeaker Hard Yards

Desenzano on Lake Garda is a nice spot (stay at Hotel Nazionale) however its its around 1hr45m drive in the opposite direction from where you are headed. Como (on Lake Como), Varese (between the two lakes & not far from Milan Malpensa airport) or Arona (on Lake Maggiora) may be other options that are in the direction you want to go

CarveMan likes this.