A New Wonnangatta Mystery

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
I don't find the titty titty bum bum schoolboy humour of some in here to be funny either. But I move on and say nothing unless it's positively insulting/degrading to women or others. Everyone finds some things funny and not others. And that's part of what makes us who we are. To say that some shouldn't express their personalities in regards to their sense of humor is an attack on that person and who they are.
The secret to humor is to actually be funny.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
I'm making my first ever post on this forum after YEARS of Lurking in order to second this LOL This thread was really interesting until these guys completely derailed it in the WORST way possible.
mods can remove the last page, how about that.
What next, Mr T's microspikes as the murder wpn?

• Haha
Reactions: Skiain
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Here's where he buried them...

It would be interesting to know why the heavy machinery was brought in. If the accused was cooperating with Police completely the Police would not need machinery to unearth the bodies. Also interesting this spot was allegedly found by the accused in the middle of the night. Some thought going on while driving and looking for a suitable fallen tree? Or just by chance? I am going with the former. Even in the middle of the night you don't want to be spending a lot of time digging just in case another car came past. This is not as remote as the media has made out and there are dozens of people who are out in areas just like this at night. Maybe not dozens every night but the Dargo area is very popular for illegal deer hunting (spotlighting).

The shovel was also replaced afterward as you can see in the before and after photos of the car in the driveway. More thought going on.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
It would be interesting to know why the heavy machinery was brought in. If the accused was cooperating with Police completely the Police would not need machinery to unearth the bodies. Also interesting this spot was allegedly found by the accused in the middle of the night. Some thought going on while driving and looking for a suitable fallen tree? Or just by chance? I am going with the former. Even in the middle of the night you don't want to be spending a lot of time digging just in case another car came past. This is not as remote as the media has made out and there are dozens of people who are out in areas just like this at night. Maybe not dozens every night but the Dargo area is very popular for illegal deer hunting (spotlighting).

The shovel was also replaced afterward as you can see in the before and after photos of the car in the driveway. More thought going on.
It is pretty rugged and bushy out there. Perhaps with some wild weather over the past 20 months they needed to clear the area to get through?

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
It is pretty rugged and bushy out there. Perhaps with some wild weather over the past 20 months they needed to clear the area to get through?
Not far from the road. The road was clear. If you had a specific search area to search and were told it was in the hole left by the root ball of a tree the first thing would be to look and then call in the machinery if needed. Something more to it.

echidna

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2003
Melbourne
Not far from the road. The road was clear. If you had a specific search area to search and were told it was in the hole left by the root ball of a tree the first thing would be to look and then call in the machinery if needed. Something more to it.
He wouldn't have wanted them dug up by wild dogs so likely buried deep. Machinery could have also been used to clear around the excavation. I don't see a major issue.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Perhaps he buried something else - important evidence to link a person to the bodies for example?

Reactions: Chaeron

Sean G

Addicted
Aug 8, 2019
So if I read this right, Jetstar dude tried to drive north out of the valley with the bodies still on board, then had to turn around and go out via Grant, disposing of the bodies as he went?

Where was he going to take them initially, I wonder?

94C6412C-241B-40B4-B757-003422AB9315.jpeg

Total Whiteout

One of Us
Sep 6, 2016
Canberra
I’m still trying to decide whether the choice of under uprooted tree was logically sound or very sloppy. When I first read about it, I thought it was lazy and sloppy, done in haste as Greg tried to get it done and get out of the valley before the sun came up. But now I wonder if it had some logic. Saves digging too much, would look relatively natural. Unlike a fresh dug deep hole which might actually stand out as unusual.though it seems it was pretty close to the road. Hard to carry two bodies very far by yourself I guess.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I’m still trying to decide whether the choice of under uprooted tree was logically sound or very sloppy. When I first read about it, I thought it was lazy and sloppy, done in haste as Greg tried to get it done and get out of the valley before the sun came up. But now I wonder if it had some logic. Saves digging too much, would look relatively natural. Unlike a fresh dug deep hole which might actually stand out as unusual.though it seems it was pretty close to the road. Hard to carry two bodies very far by yourself I guess.
Unresponsive humans are Dead weights, rigor mortis sets in.... He should have brought a trolley or a heavy duty wheel barrow.
Be prepared. Isn't that what the Boy Scouts say?

• Haha
Reactions: Snowy Joey

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
He wouldn't have wanted them dug up by wild dogs so likely buried deep. Machinery could have also been used to clear around the excavation. I don't see a major issue.
This is like using a sledge hammer to drive a thumb tack. If one person could dig the hole, regardless of depth, it is not difficult for another person to dig it up. The risk of destroying physical evidence would be high. I still don't buy it. Not saying there wasn't a need, just that the need has been disclosed.

Reactions: Total Whiteout

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
So if I read this right, Jetstar dude tried to drive north out of the valley with the bodies still on board, then had to turn around and go out via Grant, disposing of the bodies as he went?

Where was he going to take them initially, I wonder?

94C6412C-241B-40B4-B757-003422AB9315.jpeg
That’s what I was wondering earlier. To me, that matches the time of getting caught by the camera. It would have been a long night.

We used to camp in the area every year around Christmas and other holidays. Usually stayed around Talbotville.

The first time we went for a drive to Wonnangatta, looking on the map, we thought it would be a couple of hours. Go there, have a look and get back. It took hours!

It’s been years since we’ve been there but we know the area pretty well.

Reactions: Sean G and Chaeron

echidna

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2003
Melbourne
Unresponsive humans are Dead weights, rigor mortis sets in.... He should have brought a trolley or a heavy duty wheel barrow.
Be prepared. Isn't that what the Boy Scouts say?
Just because they've found those two doesn't mean there's not still a bunch of missing people out there. And you're still not doing yourself any favours. ;)

Last edited:

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
I'm making my first ever post on this forum after YEARS of Lurking in order to second this LOL This thread was really interesting until these guys completely derailed it in the WORST way possible.
Oh well.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
This is like using a sledge hammer to drive a thumb tack. If one person could dig the hole, regardless of depth, it is not difficult for another person to dig it up. The risk of destroying physical evidence would be high. I still don't buy it. Not saying there wasn't a need, just that the need has been disclosed.

If the public purse is paying, why risk a blister shoveling by hand.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
This is not as remote as the media has made out and there are dozens of people who are out in areas just like this at night. Maybe not dozens every night but the Dargo area is very popular for illegal deer hunting (spotlighting).
That's what I consider -once you get to the valley it's not that deserted. Parts of the ANP get a bit of through traffic, there could be anyone passing through. Also Mr Jetstar might be a cool customer in a simulator and in his bubble but his mind would have been racing, he would have had eyes on the clock, not wanting for someone to pull over when they saw his lights by the side of the road - people want to help and if you've broken down they will probably stop to check in.

He would have seen the tree in his lights possibly and then got off track and killed the lights.
Thought it through and decided the plan was feasible.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Had drinks with a highschool friend this avo who confirmed Greg Lynn was the same we went thru high school with. I had my ears up when I first heard his name and age. Spent lots of time hanging out in the neighbourhood riding pushies and getting up to mischief with him as a teenager, haven spoken since leaving school.
Was fairly quiet kid but good fun.

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Had drinks with a highschool friend this avo who confirmed Greg Lynn was the same we went thru high school with. I had my ears up when I first heard his name and age. Spent lots of time hanging out in the neighbourhood riding pushies and getting up to mischief with him as a teenager, haven spoken since leaving school.
Was fairly quiet kid but good fun.
Its the quiet ones!

MarkV

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 4, 2016
Just did a bit of a search. This story has gone quiet. I thought they would have identified the bodies by now.

Reactions: Billy_Buttons

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Just did a bit of a search. This story has gone quiet. I thought they would have identified the bodies by now.
Stories tend to go quiet when someone has been arrested and charged. The cops stop releasing information (you didn't think journalists actually investigate, did you?) and the media start worrying about prejudicing a trial.

MarkV

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 4, 2016
Stories tend to go quiet when someone has been arrested and charged. The cops stop releasing information (you didn't think journalists actually investigate, did you?) and the media start worrying about prejudicing a trial.
So they have identified the human remains and aren't telling anyone.

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
So they have identified the human remains and aren't telling anyone.
It is not uncommon for Police to release information about identification once that has been confirmed but it is more of a process without a body that can be viewed. The cause of death may not be revealed until court and Police will use a forensic anthropologist to assist them. Identification will have to be done using a number of methods including dental records. DNA samples from close family members also. It is also possible to reconstruct the skull to produce a likeness of the person. It is all down with computers now but I actually knew a bloke who pioneered it before computer programs and it was a very slow process using modelling clay.

My expectation is to hear about identification once that has been completed and confirmed. It is a necessary proof in the Police case but it cannot prejudice the case to release that information.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass