Admin Notice A note to all new WZ members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
So this was posted over on WZ this morning (July 7 ‘19)

Ive lurked on Ski for years, and really like it, but it does seem strange the that entire Australasian weather community, with all its incredible weather and climate diversity, is being 'forced' to migrate to a ski forum! We will change them in ways they might come to regret.

I'm really mindful of this and it sums up exactly what's been occupying my mind for a couple of days. That said, I have coalesced a (loose) plan on how to manage an influx of folk for whom snow sport is not their first interest and as the activity grows, continue to adjust the structure to suit.

I understand that some of you may see Ski as an unnatural fit long term. However, this forum was the original weather forum in Australia and pre-dates WZ (and we are still here). The weather nuts on this site who track the snow systems are highly technical and we have become one of the most well regarded snow forecasting communities on the internet.

Plus, it's just a great community for anyone interested in outdoor pursuits - and monitoring the weather plays directly to that.

So.. All I can say is that I'm confident that myself and our crew of mods know how to manage the dynamics of change. Managing change is why we are still here after almost 25 years - sailing the ebb and flow of social media and surviving the 'Kracken' of the FB epoch this last six or eight years.

Finally, you are welcome (as I trust you have seen) and I hope you make these Ski Forums your new home.

Thanks
Richard & Ian

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
From the point of view of a non-weather forumite such as myself there’s a distinct sense that Weatherzone folks can be both completely at home and also enhance the forum as it is.

The ski forum structure already manages a loose coalition of associated interest groups who have common interests besides snow sports - besides weather, the back country section arguably has its own subculture as does cycling, AFL, cricket, surf, politics, general conversation etc....

The ‘feel’ of a Buller set of threads is also different to a Hotham, Perisher or Falls or Japan or Europe set of threads.

The combination of different content and social parameters, plus tailored moderation for observations and reporting, versus conversation, versus ‘argument’, suggests that an us vs. them mentality is unlikely. There’s also no critical mass of any select group of insiders across the forum as a whole who operate in a factional way.

Additionally, in any sub-forum, topics and social groupings and the associated culture for the sub-forum develop on a thread basis so that common groupings naturally evolve a joint sub-culture which is based around core members who get to know each other quite well.

So although the forum is necessarily a highly managed space in some respects - and its carefully managed architecture and technical features facilitate its functionality, it is quite organic in other respects.

Achieving generational breakthrough to moderate the age profile of the forum as a whole is another issue... as is DJOTD...

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
What would be really good, for both the WZ members and older ski.com members, would be if you could block various sub-forums from the Active Topics list. That way, WZ members wouldn't have to wade through all the threads about skiing, and ski.com members wouldn't be affronted by threads about Qld weather, for instance.
no doubt it will largely come down to what's easily done in the software. OTOH it's sometimes good to stumble into a thread that you don't normally visit. might be a shame if it was too easy to block out that serendipitous path. eg in fire season I guess you will want to see some of the threads that start in weather

BTW I don't feel affronted by weather threads, at least no more than by football threads :)

Steve777

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Artarmon, Sydney North Shore
What would be really good, for both the WZ members and older ski.com members, would be if you could block various sub-forums from the Active Topics list. That way, WZ members wouldn't have to wade through all the threads about skiing, and ski.com members wouldn't be affronted by threads about Qld weather, for instance.

I'm not sure that this would be necessary. The forum landing page has all the ski, weather and other forums up-front, easy to find. It doesn't all fit on one screen so ther's some scrolling, but that's not a problem. I'll be mainly around the weather threads, especially NSW, but will look around the others as events unfold, curiosity leads and time permits.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I'm not sure that this would be necessary. The forum landing page has all the ski, weather and other forums up-front, easy to find. It doesn't all fit on one screen so ther's some scrolling, but that's not a problem. I'll be mainly around the weather threads, especially NSW, but will look around the others as events unfold, curiosity leads and time permits.
A lot of the frequent ski.com posters use the Active topics button as their main forum access, to see a really diverse range of threads. It's true that in the last few days the first page of active threads has had a lot more weather threads in it. I think that will settle down a bit any way. at the moment 8 out of 50 are from weather, plus 2 weather related announcement threads. I don't think that is particularly overwhelming. For comparison, there are 22 threads from Apres, including 5 sports bar.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
I don't frequent weather much, but active topics lets me dip in there to view anything of interest going on.

It may be ski.com.au but we don't just cover snow related stuff, there is a lot more going on here in lots of areas all year round. Snow just happens to be the main reason most of us got here to begin with.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
A broad spectrum of vocational experience among members has also created an environment where exchanging advice has been beneficial. Feel free to start a new thread in Conversation and select the Question box. Edit- be prepared for a flood of replies if its building related.

AArena

Steamed ham
Jul 5, 2019
Copacabana
For me I just decided to pay for a gold pass to get rid of all the adds (I know we can’t all do that) but it feels just like WZ now. Although I’m not into snow weather as I’m a coastal NSW resident. only been skiing twice.
I just wish NSW had its own main thread not in oceanic and marine. But whatever beggars can’t be choosers :)

Reactions: Richard
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Just a note for former WZ forum members.
I've looked on the old WeatherZone forum, and one of the issues was the concern about archived threads, and lost history.

We can't do much about that here, but there are some old threads that refer to the same incidents.
There's also a weather resources link thread.

Here's a link that can be used to look up old incidents:
http://www.australianweathernews.com/news/2003/00news2003headlines.shtml
It gives a summary of every day's weather back to 2000. (There are currently a lot of gaps, but I assume they are back filling them)

When there's no descriptions, you can scroll down and click on a day on the calendar.
e.g. Brisbane floods, 11th Jan 2011:
http://www.australianweathernews.com/news/2011/110111.SHTML
Brisbane floods.jpg

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Just a note for former WZ forum members.
I've looked on the old WeatherZone forum, and one of the issues was the concern about archived threads, and lost history.

We can't do much about that here, but there are some old threads that refer to the same incidents.
There's also a weather resources link thread.

Here's a link that can be used to look up old incidents:
http://www.australianweathernews.com/news/2003/00news2003headlines.shtml
It gives a summary of every day's weather back to 2000. (There are currently a lot of gaps, but I assume they are back filling them)

When there's no descriptions, you can scroll down and click on a day on the calendar.
e.g. Brisbane floods, 11th Jan 2011:
http://www.australianweathernews.com/news/2011/110111.SHTML
Brisbane floods.jpg

April 21st 2015: Super storm:
http://www.australianweathernews.com/news/2015/150421.SHTML

Pasha Bulker storm 8th June 2007
http://www.australianweathernews.com/news/2007/070608.SHTML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using