1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Use the Force filters, Guest!

Skis     Snowboard     Telemark     Clothing     Boots     Bindings     Accessories     Roof Racks     Chains     Outdoor Gear     Wanted     Free     Sold

TUTORIAL: How to post in Gear Swap so it sells

Wanted A replacement vehicle

Discussion in 'Gear Swap' started by Moondog55, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Posting here just on the off-chance that one of you have a Ford AU series 3 station wagon in need of a new home
    Some half witted parasites torched my old ute on Saturday night and I have a need of wheels for she ski season
    I am looking for the Ford as I know it has just enough room for me to sleep in if I push the front seat all the way forward. Insurance isn't generous so I only have 3k to play with but I can take a little out of the bank if I have to. Naturally the tool boxes were full of winter gear too because I was making sure everything fitted but at least the jerry cans and gas cylinders were not in there or the whole bloody street may have gone up. I did mange to salvage the wheel chains and a couple of tyres to put on the trailer but it was and is a total loss, the chassis bent and twisted in the heat. Strange but it was a very hot and concentrated fire fed by a full fuel tank, YES I had only just put $90- of Super in the tank.
    I'm in Geelong so no traveling to sunny Qld or the West
    Now looking for a winter base camp tent and a new winter sleeping bag for base camp

Attached Files:

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

bastards.
    sorry, can't help except to offer sympathy (and outrage)

good luck

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Vermillion likes this.
  4. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Finders fees will be paid in either Brown Bros: Ruby Red port or Coopers stout

Tanuki likes this.
  5. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

@Moondog55 bugger bugger!
    May one thousand fleas infest their armpits.
    Hope it works out OK for you.

6. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

An AU series 3 wagon in tri-colours with a leaky diff will be about the best thing in the universe for you mate, I hope it all works out. I commend your bravery in publicly asking for an AU, you sir must have balls the size of Donald Trump's win list.

qwill, Rick Ross Da Boss and CarveMan like this.
  7. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Bummer! They’ll rot for this! What winter gear did you lose - some of us may have surplus that we can spare.

8. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Only if it's on LPG.

Chaeron likes this.
  9. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What size tent are you after?

10. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

Bullshit. Have you seen a new Lexus or Honda Civic?

The AU looks bland by comparison.

I was going to say that he could get a BA for that money, but then I remembered that they have their issues whereas the AU is pretty well bulletproof. A good choice for a dependable drive. I'm not ready to sell mine yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

Vermillion and Chaeron like this.
  11. Vermillion

Duel-fuel or GTFO. You never know when the gas is going to disappoint you.

Chaeron and CarveMan like this.
  12. Vermillion

****ing collectors edition these days the AU series 3. Even more desirable if you have one with a Taurus bodykit.

Marty_McSly likes this.
  13. Marty_McSly

A classic @Vermillion double entendre :clap:

This could easily turn into a :crap: thread...

But yes, dual fuel is the go. Even better if you can find one with a gas injection system.

Vermillion likes this.
  14. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

WTAF! Hey @Moondog55 put a callout here for some snow gear donations to replace what was lost.
    I've got an oldish Goretex jacket you can have for free and a warm synthetic sleeping bag

15. Vermillion

I would never hijack someone elses thread mate.

16. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Chaeron likes this.
  17. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Thanx for the offer but none of my clothing was in the car and insurance is going to help with everything except the tent, I can't provide a receipt for the tent as I paid cash S/H and i have no pictures of it in use to verify my possession. I really appreciate the generous off tho
    I can't afford to buy something I used to own, I just found this one listed on eBay, optimistic price maybe but I did find it was one of the few vehicles on the market back then that had decent leg room
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XC-79-f...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Tanuki likes this.
  18. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Kind offer but I'm good.
    If this had happened next week it would have hurt much more; it was booked in for a major service and new shockers and bushes. I was just about to spend $2k on keeping it running for another few years
    I'm never going to whinge about the cost of insurance ever again.
    Somebody suggested a blunt gelding knife but I was thinking more along the lines of an anvil and a brick

Chaeron likes this.
  19. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Not nice!
    Team Bears are getting on to firewood production now....so we will ensure there us plenty in Pretty Valley Hut and out back...
    If you get really stuck with gear...then consider a geographic relocation out to Ryder's Huts.....and winter over there...we usually get out there shortly to ensure it has a cut up wood pile that can be utilised in the open fireplace....Mr T is around and could provide some sled/tobogan haulage out there if required.
    It's about time your luck changed !

Chaeron likes this.
  20. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Long way from Ryders to the lifts tho. As I am back this year I had better go to Bunnings and buy a couple of cheap shovels for PV hut

21. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Well we have the old Renault here, The Boss owns it; worth $300- as a trade-in so still sitting there. We just paid the registration late and later on this month we will transfer the rego to me and I will run it into the ground.
    Interestingly a roadworthy isn't needed to transfer between spouses. I just took the back seats out and if I push the passenger seat all the way forward I can just squeeze myself in to sleep
    Thule pod on the roof takes some of the LW load

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  22. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I'd like peoples opinions on the Ford Falcon RTV ute.
    A few have just come onto the market at what seem give-away prices; so as I know very little about the vehicle I wonder what the pitfalls are with one of these.
    The Renault has just come back from its annual service with a repair list kilometres long and quite over the top money wise

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  23. Marty_McSly

IIRC the RTV has an extra inch or 2 of ground clearance due to a high-lift suspension, and a diff lock.

As with any other B-series Falcon, the newer the better, as early ones had electronic gremlins and a bonnet release mechanism that was prone to failure. Then the usual things you'd already know, ball joints and D bushes are consumables.

B series are also prone to warping front discs. Factory spark plugs are Iridium type and should give 100-120,000 km, but the coil packs are pretty much ready to replace when the plugs are due. They are coil on plug, so there are 6 of them. The word from fordforums.com.au is that the OEM coils are the only ones worth buying, the aftermarket ones aren't as good. IIRC OEM coils are about $80 each.

The best info you'll find is here: https://fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=175

You'll need to join to post questions.

24. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Well I now have a Kia Cerato for this season but I am still looking for that elusive Ford in goodish condition with minimum rust. I am finding that people who have such a vehicle are hanging onto them. No luck over at the Ford Forum although lots of commiserations on the loss of the ute. Not that I feel up to a big camp this season, I'm actually thinking of chucking things in and selling up. The Renault had a catastrophic failure and died dead just 5 klicks from home last month. It felt like the diff died and locked up a wheel or something. Anyway I rubbed the tyre down to the rim and went off the road and lucky not to roll.

25. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Very sorry for your loss Moondog. There's some low life's out there.

Re car choice: have you thought about looking for an older (R50) Pathfinder - the shape that ran ~ 95 to 2005? Not selling ours by the way!

They're very reliable if well maintained - modest size - not huge like a cruiser or patrol, can whack a barrier in the back to carry gear.

R50s have low range and a modern-ish AWD mode, and if you hunt you may find one with acceptable kms (<200k) in your AU price range?

Just a thought. Good luck matey!!

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  26. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I'll probably stick with the tiny little Cerato while I save for a Stinger GT now, the Boss has promised to win Tatts this week-end. I'm over 184 tall I was hoping for lie down room for sleeping hence the thought of an old fashioned station wagon.

27. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

28. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Bit pricey though

29. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Mm sleeping in the back of modern wagons is tough for 6’ ers!

I’m 190cm and used to try sleeping in my Hillman Hunter & then a GH Sigma wagon with the tailgate resting on my ankles! Not great! Dad’s XY Falcon had a long boot - had the most room of almost any Aussie made wagon so a later model would surely provide similar comfort.

Modern SUVs are tall & fairly short. Not good for you. Happy hunting.

30. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Dear Ford "Bring back the XC panel van"
    I did see a very nice Hyundai van but it was $10k- more than my insurance payout, plenty of length and stand up height, would have very poor mileage tho

31. AndrewA

AndrewA One of Us

I’m about to modify my 1991 Ford Maverick LWB to make a flat sleeping area - my daughters have been pinching it for music festivals and country parties, as is. They love it. “If the heating worked, and the rusted roof didn’t leak, and it used way less petrol”, then it’d be my perfect car for the mountains!

A

32. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Plenty of room in the back of my '56 F100 panel truck but its a bit cold in there.
    [​IMG]

qwill likes this.
  33. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

My R50 refuses to die..... and nor would I want it to. See a few nice looking ones around still. If getting one look for no bullbar and no tow hitch. Will have had a softer life. Around $6k for a 16-18 yo Ti with circa 200k kms.

Shortcomings, thirsty on the highway when pushing 100 + kph and expensive if gearbox or transfer case strikes problems. However, wrecker parts have proved to be a cheaper and very workable (now four years with wrecker gearbox with no issues..... $1k installed verses $8k + for new box from Nissan).

snowgum and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  34. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Glad to hear FB. Mines at ~ 155k & sees little 4wd & no bullbar just a tow bar for bikes now & then.

I figure reliability beats a few L/100km any day!

Mine likes 98 ULP, so more chaching! But much more go than 91 so Keep that way.

Overtaking on 91 too scary!! Frustrating. ( /:-/(

35. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

@snowgum Mines over 250k on the dial now, but gets little day to day driving (5-10k per year). Hail damage and urban dodgem means it looks a little pristine than it one did. Other than fuel consumption, it is a brilliant touring vehicle. And agree on good fuel, 95 RON a minimum. And has a seriously good 4WD system.... have taken the truck down a few roads out Kiandra way that saw a Hilux retreat.

Scary part is a replacement is likely to be a $70k + purchase and it will be less capable. Honest mid sized 4WDS got squeezed out of the market by people mover replacements who want a third row of seats and no 4WD ...... Nissan even gave up the segment totally (no 4WD on Pathfinders or X-Trails)