A single lift to more than double Hotham's terrain

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
One single lift, could be a chair or a prolly a T better and cheaper, up and over the summit - but serving two faces to the mountain in much the same way as Keogh's-Orchard is the same lift servicing different sides of the valley.
Would open up all of the northern gullies and ridges off the road, around to Eagle Ridge/Pee gully etc, prolly down to around 1550m. That main drain is nice meadows and wouldn't need much landscaping.
Then south, everything from Women's downhill off Higgi, around Avalanche Gully, Harris's, Oz Drift, and then around to the Dargo Bowl massive drain and Baldy Holly. This side could go down low to mountain ash 1400m level bc of the massive amounts of snow. Would need trails sloping down from Higgi, and also Baldy Hollow off the Alpine Way, so a fair bit of landscaping.

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 12.12.29 pm.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Beginners pay for lifts.
Avalanche gulley & dargo bowl are double black cliffy terrain. Anything non-black will be just cat tracks.
Also note the word avalanche in its name.

I'm told that the resort already forfeited women's downhill terrain in exchange for orchard, so makes such a plan even less likely.

Pink hamburg is very dark blue at least. The bottom down there is much skinnier and steeper than the bottom of mary's slide. It will need a gotcha style lift location cut into the hillside, or lot of earthworks for an orchard style platform over the river and considerable snow to run it if you put a lift there.
It's also north facing.
However I have read about supposed investigations for new lifted terrain at eagle ridge, which will open the top 1/2 of your concept.

The road separation already causes so many issues at loch and big d, I don't think they'll want to add even more road crossings.

I've always thought that golden point from village's base would be a nice expansion location.
South and West facing. Wind protected. Doesn't go as low as blue ribbon (not enough snow). and keep expanding in that direction for another 3 valleys +-20km and you connect with Falls.

2022_06_24_12_51_41_Mount_Hotham_Google_Maps.png

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Beginners pay for lifts.
Avalanche gulley & dargo bowl are double black cliffy terrain. Anything non-black will be just cat tracks.
Also note the word avalanche in its name.

I'm told that the resort already forfeited women's downhill terrain in exchange for orchard, so makes such a plan even less likely.

Pink hamburg is very dark blue at least. The bottom down there is much skinnier and steeper than the bottom of mary's slide. It will need a gotcha style lift location cut into the hillside, or lot of earthworks for an orchard style platform over the river and considerable snow to run it if you put a lift there.
It's also north facing.
However I have read about supposed investigations for new lifted terrain at eagle ridge, which will open the top 1/2 of your concept.

The road separation already causes so many issues at loch and big d, I don't think they'll want to add even more road crossings.

I've always thought that golden point from village's base would be a nice expansion location.
South and West facing. Wind protected. Doesn't go as low as blue ribbon (not enough snow). and keep expanding in that direction for another 3 valleys +-20km and you connect with Falls.

2022_06_24_12_51_41_Mount_Hotham_Google_Maps.png
Lots of nice, new green runs up on top there as well.
Also some nice beginner to intermediate terrain down from the top of HV to the bottom of Eagle Ridge cliffs. Would need to clear lotza trees though.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Would be an automated kook filter.

Imagine being yanked up and across the summit in proper north-west storm. Right in the kisser
during storms they can turn off the big diesel engine and power the tow using the little sails that deploy from the T's going in the opposite direction.

I'm an ideas person

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
One single lift, could be a chair or a prolly a T better and cheaper, up and over the summit - but serving two faces to the mountain in much the same way as Keogh's-Orchard is the same lift servicing different sides of the valley.
Would open up all of the northern gullies and ridges off the road, around to Eagle Ridge/Pee gully etc, prolly down to around 1550m. That main drain is nice meadows and wouldn't need much landscaping.
Then south, everything from Women's downhill off Higgi, around Avalanche Gully, Harris's, Oz Drift, and then around to the Dargo Bowl massive drain and Baldy Holly. This side could go down low to mountain ash 1400m level bc of the massive amounts of snow. Would need trails sloping down from Higgi, and also Baldy Hollow off the Alpine Way, so a fair bit of landscaping.

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 12.12.29 pm.png

Quite a bit of avy prone terrain in that capture.

Reactions: snowgum

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
a north face is the best on the odd occasion after a big fall with 6 of you, it's a whole different story once you put 100-1000 of skiers on it and a bit of sun.

Reactions: skifree

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
What about a snowcat out instead of new lifts. Could be a good model for Aussie resorts to access new steeper terrain. No infrastructure and minimal capital investment, less environmental issues, protected cabin to ride in, limit on numbers to ensure terrain not skies out to quick. Maybe link a card to rfid cards and have at it at $10 a pop or something. Poor man's cat skiing! Something like Utah's Powder Mtn setup. Even better if the terrain involves a short hike at the start.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Just whack in a few nutcracker tows on the desired slopes.
  • They are dirt cheap to build and operate.
  • They automatically exclude beginners and snow boarders and
  • They run at twice the speed of T-bars or Hotham's slow fixed grip chairlifts.
Thus they are ideal in every way. Prove me wrong!

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
One of the best ski trips I ever went on was powered by nutcrackers and helicopters!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Some great ideas here. The master plan hasn’t been quoted publicly for years (8 or 10?)

It would be ‘real nice’ if Vail / RM would quote that doc now and then.

Or will Hotham look virtually the same in 20 or 30 years?

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Nutcrackers at 6'4" are challenging I promise you

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Nutcrackers at 6'4" are challenging I promise you
It depends how high the lift operators or ski patrollers set the rope on the day.

I'm 4" shorter than you, so I struggled attaching my nutcracker to the armpit high rope in this photo at Mt Mawson in Tassie. But that height would be ideal for you.

image-asset.jpg

Reactions: MisterMxyzptlk

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
@Sandy idea is good too, but if you take that one up and over into the Cobungra Valley, there's another insane amount of terrain to be unlocked.

IMG_0125.jpeg
Yes, I've often looked across at how much there is out there.

The 2011 "crayons" were based on the real talk back then about a Golden Point lift.

Here's more crayons from 2011:

Eagle Ridge.jpg

Eagle Ridge2.jpg

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
It depends how high the lift operators or ski patrollers set the rope on the day.

I'm 4" shorter than you, so I struggled attaching my nutcracker to the armpit high rope in this photo at Mt Mawson in Tassie. But that height would be ideal for you.

image-asset.jpg
I've never been able to fully ride the Round Hill rope in NZ because it is literally at my knee level the entire way up.I'm sure everyone wonders who the ski version of Quasimodo is trying to hold on going up.Yes, if the rope's higher it's fine, but it's generally set for the 5-5'10 range I reckon

Reactions: Bogong

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

image-asset.jpg

Could you buy a longer rope? Could the club get a few longer ropes for sub-6’ (shorties?)

Sorry it’s ~ 16 years since I skied the rope tows at Broken River & Lyford. I don’t remember height (rope length being a problem but I’m 6’3”). But uncoordination and fear of losing fingers - I had plenty of that.

Fwiw: Not a lift-type where I’d want long hair (definitely not a problem here!) or really loose (borrowed/rental) jackets or Japaras (crikey!) :eek:

I’m kind of relieved our main resorts don’t have them anymore. Give me international poma (on max speed) any day!

Reactions: whether and Bogong

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Interesting. The height of the sheaves that support the rope on nutcracker tows is adjusted according to the snow level. I understand it should be just above waist level? There are a few cases of two nutcracker tows running in parallel like Village at Falls Creek and Bourke St at Buller in the 1950s. I always wondered why, but perhaps they had one with a low level tow rope for short people and one with a high rope for tall people?

But put some of them on One Tree Hill and the slope between Pee Gully and Pink Hamberg and I don't think people would be too worried about the rope height.

I was looking for a photo showing how the pulleys are adjusted up and down the pole. I can't find a picture of one in operation but the mechanism can be seen if you look closely at the top of the second photo. BTW it is a photo of Australia's steepest ski lift, Rodway at Mt Mawson in TasMania, showing an avalanche damaged pole and how they straightened it out. Probably the only ski lift in Australia that serves slopes that make the hardest Hotham has to offer look routine.

mawson+tow+poles.png

• Wow

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Interesting. The height of the sheaves that support the rope on nutcracker tows is adjusted according to the snow level. I understand it should be just above waist level? There are a few cases of two nutcracker tows running in parallel like Village at Falls Creek and Bourke St at Buller in the 1950s. I always wondered why, but perhaps they had one with a low level tow rope for short people and one with a high rope for tall people?

I was looking for a photo showing how the pulleys are adjusted up and down the pole. But I can't find one. :( So instead here is a photo of Australia's steepest ski lift, Rodway at Mt Mawson in TasMania, showing an avalanche damaged pole and how they straightened it out. Probably the only ski lift in Australia that serves slopes that make the hardest Hotham has to offer look routine.

————
SG:

Fascinating Bogong. Cheers. You really know your stuff - thank you on behalf of all forum items for sharing!

FYI; I believe I’ve walked past that slope - turn shelf walk isn’t it? Great pencil pines, although a large area with bushfire damage.

I was pretty gobsmacked when I saw it. I wonder how often the lift is in operation these days - given CC and just how much the main - begin/inter lifts struggle to stay open most years. One for the big (2000/2004/2017) years? Peak August weekends? Cheers.

—————-

mawson+tow+poles.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass