A Tassie Trundle

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9726.JPG

We started day 3 up the Ironbounds early to get as much climbing done before the day got warm.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9731.JPG

Tasmamian Purplestar (Isophysis tasmanica), tho I still know it as Hewardia, somewhere along the way it's genus was changed.

The key thing about these beauties is they tell you (along with finding Pandani) that you have made about 500M vertical.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Amazing. Jealous :love:
My friend Trevor is there in SW Tasmania doing the same hike as we type. Some of it looks like The Prom.. I will do a trek in Tasmania in Nov. 2021. Especially considering trekking options in N. India and Morocco are on hold and Nordic Skiing in Japan, Switzerland and North America are all kaput until the plague goes away.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9782.JPG

Grotto Creek and onto Prion Beach. Most of our wandering was done in the morning with getaway between 0700 on a good day and 0730 on a slower day. So we are here at 0900 for a drink, early smoko break and top up water bottles by 0900.

DSCF9783.JPG

PB swings into view with it's traditional cloak.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9792.JPG

We were not stopping at Prion Beach Camp, only a lunch stop for us but I took the trouble to check out the water supply which is often noted as unreliable, it was good. This is looking back East from the water supply to the South Cape Range off the end of New River Lagoon.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9794.JPG

More forest trail after lunch. This is the original trail behind the sand dunes of New River Lagoon that lead to Milford Creek which used to be a swim to cross. It was then effectively closed for many years with the route being a wade across NRL to the outer sand bar then maybe a wade across Milford Creek where it went thru the bar depending on where that was. The idea being to avoid the swim over Milford Creek.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9804.JPG

Looking West along Prion Beach with the Ironbounds cloaked.

All the beaches were very clean with almost no human debris. Even the piles of rubbish that folks make where the trails arrive/leave the beaches were very small. I'm guessing a clean up of these was recent.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I liked Osmiridium Beach. Like Skifree said, the shoreline was very clean with a bonus feature of not having to use tent pegs and stays to stop the mosquitoes carrying you off. Being slightly off the usual SCT route it wasn’t crowded. The toilet had the best view in the house as well.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Ok what’s the story with the boat? Is it a return trip option or is it tied to a rope for retrieval or just luck of the draw?
There are 2 boats, one each side of the river. If no one is around you untie one boat, row across to the other side and untie the 2nd boat. Row back over with both boats and leave one boat from where you started. Row over a 3rd time and tie the last boat up at your final destination.

We were lucky as we passed someone heading the opposite direction so only needed to do the trip once.

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
There are 2 boats, one each side of the river. If no one is around you untie one boat, row across to the other side and untie the 2nd boat. Row back over with both boats and leave one boat from where you started. Row over a 3rd time and tie the boat up at your final destination.

We were lucky as we passed someone heading the opposite direction so only needed to do the trip once.
Ah now that makes perfect community spirited sense! Ta

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
We had 2 spare days in the plan for rest and/or rain. So having got over the Ironbounds called a rest day at Osmiridium Beach. A quiet spot as it is off the trail and most folks stop at Prion Beach Camp in lieu. So a couple of rest day pics for today.
DSCF9810.JPG

Pinders was in view.

DSCF9811.JPG

As was PB.

Last edited:

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9828.JPG

DSCF9829.JPG

This log has been at the back of Granite Beach for better than 20 years as far as I know. I'm pretty certain it dates back to Huon Pine cutting in Bathurst & MacQuarie Harbour, the chain fixing points for towing still visible. So that makes it well over 100 years since it was felled.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass