DSCF9832.JPG

DSCF9834.JPG

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Huon pine doesn't rot.
As evidenced by this log (and another later), the inside of the log is about 30% gone, some the core has rotted / been eaten, what remains that I could reach was pretty solid. The protective oils are slowly being leached out of this log and as they go the wood will slowly follow.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
DSCF9850.JPG

DSCF9851.JPG

The trail onwards is mostly thru forest, a very pleasant trail.
What @skifree calls a pleasant track is actually one of the tougher days. You need to be prepared for 10+ ups and downs.

8A27FC62-8989-4634-AAD5-1C10230B0136.png

I used the Guthook app this trip which worked really well.

One of the highlights of this leg was a pademelon which kept us company for a fair stretch.

1200px-Thylogale_billardierii.jpg

Last edited:

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
What @skifree calls a pleasant track is actually one of the tougher days. You need to be prepared for 10+ ups and downs.

8A27FC62-8989-4634-AAD5-1C10230B0136.png

I used the Guthook app this trip which worked really well.

One of the highlights of this leg was a pademelon which kept us company for a fair stretch.

1200px-Thylogale_billardierii.jpg

‘Pleasant track’?

Pictures of slippy, ankle busting tree roots & mire?

My experience has been, when pademelons are following you in wet forest, you are generally getting into upper Type 1 fun & starting to envisage eating the little furred buggers.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
My friend and fellow chook footer Trevor recently walked this route and said it was type 2 fun writ large. Often
the " track" was " horrendous". I am quoting his exact words. He knackered/strained/wrenched his leg and would have been in big trouble without hiking poles.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
My friend and fellow chook footer Trevor recently walked this route and said it was type 2 fun writ large. Often
the " track" was " horrendous". I am quoting his exact words. He knackered/strained/wrenched his leg and would have been in big trouble without hiking poles.
And this is where I have trouble. After hearing about everyone's first hand account of how 'horrendous' the track is, comparing it with the guides which suggest there's only 2 days that look challenging and having done it and found it to be a nice little stroll along a well defined track.

Mt Zeil in the NT, for example, I found a lot tougher. I'm still picking spinifex out of me from that one.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
And this is where I have trouble. After hearing about everyone's first hand account of how 'horrendous' the track is, comparing it with the guides which suggest there's only 2 days that look challenging and having done it and found it to be a nice little stroll along a well defined track.

Mt Zeil in the NT, for example, I found a lot tougher.
Zactly

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008

Mt Zeil in the NT, for example, I found a lot tougher. I'm still picking spinifex out of me from that one.

I think it's a lovely transect walk, the experience quite defined by the weather & seasons.

Have been down there during Winter solstice, had to pretty much swim from Point Eric to Prion Beach, am a experienced, strong outdoors person & was found it quite a solid trip on that occasion. Used whitewater rescue skills to get us across Louisa River, slithered over the Ironbounds inside a sub polar low, recovered the sunken dinghy at New River Lagoon & found one broken oar. Carried 60kg from the start, twelve days food, ran out in ten, the fifty odd kms march from Cockle Creek at end eating our rubbish bag & myrtle orange fungi meant lost quite a bit of weight (no one around, so kept walking until found a vehicle for a lift to Hobart). After final calculation while eating all of Hobarts steaks that night, think the forty million leaches living permanently in the vestibule of our tent where responsible for 95% of the weight loss. Was a culmination of several months solid back to back walking in Tas, but also got a good dose of NFCI from that trip.

Then been down there during summer, in good weather, walking in just boardies, getting a suntan, swimming in ocean, bodysurfing, feasting on crayfish & abalone, a relaxing coastal stroll. Have even walked parts with surfboard, some good waves down there. Surfboard is annoying on tree roots & narrow sections.

One of my employees did some trackwork down there couple of years back. Him & his partner helicoptered in, took a canvas 4WD style tent for the headroom. Recounts a week long storm were they spent much time back to back in the tent holding it up out on an exposed button grass site, quite terrified while the Maatsuyker anemometer went above 150km/h. He's heading back for a hopefully more relaxed personal wander in a couple of months.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I think it's a lovely transect walk, the experience quite defined by the weather & seasons.

Have been down there during Winter solstice, had to pretty much swim from Point Eric to Prion Beach, am a experienced, strong outdoors person & was found it quite a solid trip on that occasion. Used whitewater rescue skills to get us across Louisa River, slithered over the Ironbounds inside a sub polar low, recovered the sunken dinghy at New River Lagoon & found one broken oar. Carried 60kg from the start, twelve days food, ran out in ten, the fifty odd kms march from Cockle Creek at end eating our rubbish bag & myrtle orange fungi meant lost quite a bit of weight (no one around, so kept walking until found a vehicle for a lift to Hobart). After final calculation while eating all of Hobarts steaks that night, think the forty million leaches living permanently in the vestibule of our tent where responsible for 95% of the weight loss. Was a culmination of several months solid back to back walking in Tas, but also got a good dose of NFCI from that trip.

Then been down there during summer, in good weather, walking in just boardies, getting a suntan, swimming in ocean, bodysurfing, feasting on crayfish & abalone, a relaxing coastal stroll. Have even walked parts with surfboard, some good waves down there. Surfboard is annoying on tree roots & narrow sections.

One of my employees did some trackwork down there couple of years back. Him & his partner helicoptered in, took a canvas 4WD style tent for the headroom. Recounts a week long storm were they spent much time back to back in the tent holding it up out on an exposed button grass site, quite terrified while the Maatsuyker anemometer went above 150km/h. He's heading back for a hopefully more relaxed personal wander in a couple of months.
I have a slightly different take. What you didn't see was the preparation work for this trip.

Gear wise I replaced everything with lighter and more functional equipment with the exception of my -12C sleeping bag which I didn't mind taking as additional insurance against bad weather. Every piece of new gear was well road tested before I went. I went as light as I could, I think my starting pack weight was the same as some people finishing the track. I didn't even take boots, I wore trail runners.

On paper, each day was roughly 12-17 km so not large distances. To prepare physically, I was walking the entire track distance roughly every 2 weeks and I know skifree was doing something similar. I just wish the Mt Tennant track was open as that would have been ideal preparation but its still closed due to the bushfires at the start of last year. I also studied the maps and trail guide. Walk south, turn left at the ocean ;)

So yes, the conditions on the day play their part, but you can't replace decent preparation either.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra

Time for some off track rambling around the Jagungal Wilderness area bro.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Well you go in Winter for that short daylight, cold & wet experience.

Went for the 'atmosphere'.

And to test ourselves.

Got both. Had the whole south west to ourselves. Was early noughties though.

Not long ago really, but now you just EPIRB out because not getting any phone signal.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
I have a slightly different take. What you didn't see was the preparation work for this trip.

Gear wise I replaced everything with lighter and more functional equipment with the exception of my -12C sleeping bag which I didn't mind taking as additional insurance against bad weather. Every piece of new gear was well road tested before I went. I went as light as I could, I think my starting pack weight was the same as some people finishing the track. I didn't even take boots, I wore trail runners.

On paper, each day was roughly 12-17 km so not large distances. To prepare physically, I was walking the entire track distance roughly every 2 weeks and I know skifree was doing something similar. I just wish the Mt Tennant track was open as that would have been ideal preparation but its still closed due to the bushfires at the start of last year. I also studied the maps and trail guide. Walk south, turn left at the ocean ;)

So yes, the conditions on the day play their part, but you can't replace decent preparation either.

I did much the same for our Arthurs wander. I discovered one can buy fitness at about $1k per kilo.....

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Went for the 'atmosphere'.

And to test ourselves.

Got both. Had the whole south west to ourselves. Was early noughties though.

Not long ago really, but now you just EPIRB out because not getting any phone signal.
I mate (so called mate) has been on at me for years to do the SCT in Winter. But I've come the conclusion it was really because he had done so and thought I should enjoy the same pleasures he had.

I think there are other places I would go in Winter in Tas. Du Cane Traverse, Mt Picton or maybe just some targeted fagus sites.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
I mate (so called mate) has been on at me for years to do the SCT in Winter. But I've come the conclusion it was really because he had done so and thought I should enjoy the same pleasures he had.

I think there are other places I would go in Winter in Tas. Du Cane Traverse, Mt Picton or maybe just some targeted fagus sites.

Think the wet coastal walks certainly shine in fairer seasons in Tas, while the dry coast walks are better in winter in my opinion.

Mountain are great in any season, but really think they come into their own in hard winters.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
So for reasons beyond reason @DidSurfNowSki found something more important than wandering that prelude to the South Coast Track the Port Davey Track. Unpossible concept I know but some folks are just crazy.

201222 IMG_9318.JPG

The first bus ride Adelaide to Hobart direct.

DSCF9477.JPG

An overnight in Hobart then another bus to Scotts Peak.
Changes in both bus dates & times meant I got started on the trail 2 days early.:)

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9478.JPG

Start wandering here.

DSCF9479.JPG

The first section of track is set up for days wanderers and is a beautiful section of forest. I have spent a whole day here in the past poking about & taking the odd picture or two.

DSCF9480.JPG

This is part of the response to a father & son who looked at the map at the trail head quickly and ripped off down the track in their runners and that's about it thinking the WAs loop was a day run. They did really well to get as far as they did but did need to be rescued.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
No trailer ?
No trailer, 3 on board on the way out (one of whom we met at Cockle Creek and was on our bus back to Hobart) and I think picking up 4 for the ride back Scotts Peak to Hobart, they must have been at the Huon Campground waiting ready to go as I did not see them on the track coming out to meet bus.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
DSCF9854.JPG

And then you step out of the forest and you at South Cape Rivulet, magic.

Don't want to hijack your thread too much, but love South Cape Rivulet. The big eucs right on the beach are special, like a lot of that part of the state.

Years ago had just arrived back in Tas for work after a lighting solo drive from the WA. Picked up a brand new board from a local shaper before leaving & after my first ten day stint, decided to head down for a surf & get the new board wet. Walked into Lion Rock, set up camp, just self & the tiger snakes, the left running into rock was quite solid & it's somewhat sharky surfing down there alone in 6ft plus waves.

After spooking myself, wandering over to South Cape Rivulet which had a firing little righthand point. It also was immensely crowded with two people out, which suited my odds, the wave also runs close to rocks, adding a feeling of security. The other guy, who a moderate surfer had thought the same, dragging a complete kook down there, who was doing his best to drown on an old single fin (before they became hip again) about 3 inches thick.

Straight away started having a ripper surf, hollow, quite pushy backhand barrels in the wilderness, with just enough other people to make it feel less predatory. Then with all that space of the south west, was free falling into a lovely freighting little barrel, the very inexperienced surfer panicked & instead of paddling away from the direction of impact, he froze, then at last minute threw his 70's relic to the side & lay there like an electrofished carp. I managed to freefall my brand new board right onto the titanic nose of his old beast, which duly punched a fist sized hole right through the board.

The irony of surfing down there in the wilderness & having that happen....

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass