skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9492.JPG

White Monolith Range

DSCF9493.JPG

Mt Robinson with it's head in the clouds.

DSCF9495.JPG

White Monolith Range again

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9497.JPG

Crossing River Camp. The river was rising due the rain while I was here. This pic is prior to setting up some marker rocks to ascertain the rate of rise. The Crossing River catchment includes all of the South faces and South draining lakes of the WAs plus the subsidiary ridge that parallels the WAs to the South. So pretty considerable.

Of my bus companions H had lunch here and pushed on to Watershed Camp, the other J had skipped thru Junction Creek the night before to camp here while H & I camped at Junction Creek.

Last edited:

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
DSCF9497.JPG

Crossing River Camp. The river was rising due the rain while I was here. This pic is prior to setting up some marker rocks to ascertain the rate of rise. The Crossing River catchment includes all of the South faces and South draining lakes of the WAs plus the subsidiary ridge that parallels the WAs to the South. So pretty considerable.

Of my bus companions H had lunch here and pushed on to Watershed Camp, the other J had skipped thru Junction Creek the night before to camp here while H & I camped at Junction Creek.

Ye' olde river marker rocks or stick always make for a good nights sleep. The irony of the best drained campsites being on the watercourse edges in that country.

Reactions: skifree

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
How painful would you rate carrying a creek boat into Crossing River?

As opposed to a packraft.
If you really wanted to you could. Not a lot of forest to go thru.

I have an idea it’s been done. I recollect a time when folks were boating down obscure water courses seemingly every weekend.

After (down stream) of the crossing of Crossing River it looks to get super tight. Check out the aerial pic of the section on the LIST.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
If you really wanted to you could. Not a lot of forest to go thru.

I have an idea it’s been done. I recollect a time when folks were boating down obscure water courses seemingly every weekend.

After (down stream) of the crossing of Crossing River it looks to get super tight. Check out the aerial pic of the section on the LIST.

Just joined a Tassie packraft page on Farcebook.

Some seriously solid trips being done at present, accessing some very tough country. Crossing River / Port Davey would a holiday camp in comparison I think.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Just joined a Tassie packraft page on Farcebook.

Some seriously solid trips being done at present, accessing some very tough country. Crossing River / Port Davey would a holiday camp in comparison I think.
Yes, there’s been some nutso pack raft stuff done as it is way easier to get in & out compared to carrying a boat.

A solo pack rafter headed out from Melaleuca while I was there.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Yes, there’s been some nutso pack raft stuff done as it is way easier to get in & out compared to carrying a boat.

A solo pack rafter headed out from Melaleuca while I was there.

Where was said gentleperson heading from Melaleuca?

I love paddling whitewater in my creek boats, but geezus they can be painful getting in.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Where was said gentleperson heading from Melaleuca?

I love paddling whitewater in my creek boats, but geezus they can be painful getting in.
Dunno, just watched him paddling out of the Lagoon towards Bathurst Harbour. Nice yellow current model boat.

Reactions: Rabid K9

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9517.JPG

The old creek crossing at the Watershed Camp creek. The new crossing is downstream after a left turn off the track that gets you here. The banks about the creek in the area of this bridge are just a mud pit.

DSCF9520.JPG

Watershed Camp, the original spot was luverly so I camped and did not hunt for Chapman's recommended site which I think is up into the forest from the bridge above.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9527.JPG

Leaving Watershed Camp and heading to Spring River.

DSCF9528.JPG

It takes a while winding around spurs to get to the Spring River catchment, somewhere in this valley is a large waterfall by the sound.

DSCF9530.JPG

Looking to the Lost World Plateau.

DSCF9531.JPG

On the Lost World Plateau.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9532.JPG

The drop off the Lost World Plateau and into the Spring River Valley.

DSCF9533.JPG

And the very welcome sight of the Spring River bridge. A hot 18k of wandering. Then an hour of fooling about checking out the trail thru the forest on the other side of the Bridge looking for another mythical Chapman campsite. The forest is very overgrown and a plethora of tree falls made finding the way thru to the next button grass plain an adventure and suffice to say I never found Chapman's recommended campsite.

DSCF9536.JPG

There were plenty of campsites on the East side of the river so a pleasant afternoon was had poking about the river, drying some wet kit, reading and siesta. Off to Bathurst Harbour tomoroz.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
DSCF9532.JPG

The drop off the Lost World Plateau and into the Spring River Valley.

DSCF9533.JPG

And the very welcome sight of the Spring River bridge. A hot 18k of wandering. Then an hour of fooling about checking out the trail thru the forest on the other side of the Bridge looking for another mythical Chapman campsite. The forest is very overgrown and a plethora of tree falls made finding the way thru to the next button grass plain an adventure and suffice to say I never found Chapman's recommended campsite.

DSCF9536.JPG

There were plenty of campsites on the East side of the river so a pleasant afternoon was had poking about the river, drying some wet kit, reading and siesta. Off to Bathurst Harbour tomoroz.

What is with all the bridges spoiling the fun? Logs galore to cross on there.

More photos please.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9537.JPG

Left the Spring river Camp for Point Farrell, crossing the first of a few un-named creeks that feed the Spring.

DSCF9538.JPG

DSCF9539.JPG

DSCF9540.JPG

A lot of the wandering this day is along contour tracks or ridge tops.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9545.JPG

DSCF9546.JPG

This is the shore line between Point Farrell and Mt Rugby that Chapman suggests as a route to climb Mt Rugby. H who was a day ahead of me reported later he managed to cross this but did not make the peak not finding a way thru the rocky out-crops in time.

I got to the boat crossing ramp, looked at the sky and watch & decided I was likely to be caught in weather prior to completing the crossing. And it's also another 1/2 wander on the other side to the camp with water. So wandered over to the Farrell Point camp. Collected water after digging a hole in the beach to collect from the spring of water leaking from the stationary creek in the forest. Got the tent pitched when a stiff wind swept thru the Narrows. Got tucked up with gear in the tent and it started to pour with rain. Really pour. So I was glad not to out in a row boat but cooking up a cup of soup with the stove standing a good puddle of water.

It rained so much I was able to throw my slightly brackish beach water out and replace it all with clear rain water off the tent.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9547.JPG

After 20 to 30mm of rain the previous evening and a howling Westerly the next day dawned quite nice. Here we are looking West to Mount MacKenzie with Little Louisa Islet in the Bathurst Channel.

DSCF9549.JPG

After a wandery boat trip I did get to Point Joan on the South side of the Bathurst Narrows, this is the West side of the Point looking into an un-named water way. There is a small camp and water at the beach at the far end of this.

DSCF9550.JPG

Continuing on the trail we pass Horseshoe Inlet with Mount Rallinga to the left and the Pascoe Range to the right.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
201228 Boat Route.jpg

So the tide was going out (left to right on this map), as I found out and a stiff Northerly was blowing. The 1st leg was bit woofy working out the rowing, the track does not show the boat going in circles. Towing the 2nd boat back on the 2nd leg I let the tide wash me down the channel, a bad thing and it was a tough row back into the tide, the final leg back to the South side I got the process right with into the tide to start and let the tide bring into the slipway.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
201228 Boat Route.jpg

So the tide was going out (left to right on this map), as I found out and a stiff Northerly was blowing. The 1st leg was bit woofy working out the rowing, the track does not show the boat going in circles. Towing the 2nd boat back on the 2nd leg I let the tide wash me down the channel, a bad thing and it was a tough row back into the tide, the final leg back to the South side I got the process right with into the tide to start and let the tide bring into the slipway.
You do know about great circle routes don't you ? ;)

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9551.JPG

Still on the trail from Farrell Point to Melaleuca. New Harbour Range in the background centre. The trail was a swamp or a stream all day after last nights rain.

DSCF9552.JPG

And what started as a clear day rapidly developed into showers round about.

DSCF9553.JPG

DSCF9556.JPG

So I'm not lost after all.

DSCF9557.JPG

Still not lost, Bathurst Range behind.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9558.JPG

And so I get to Melaleuca proper. The end of the Port Davey Track as it is in modern times. It of course originally went West then South West at the Spring River bridge area over to Port Davey way. I might look for a map of the original route another day. The ship wrecks the track was meant to service were more on the Tas West coast rather than the South coast.

This is the 2nd walkers hut built by Denny King and has been updated in recent years and is now cared for by the Launceston Walking Club hence the name. The most recent and very welcome revision is new stainless steel gutters and water tanks for fresh water supply.

DSCF9559.JPG

Looking to the South over the Melaleuca runway to the New Harbour Range. The red hut is Denny King's workshop, to the left the white dots in the trees are the Orange Bellied Parrot nesting boxes. These were active when I was there.

DSCF9561.JPG

Looking back North to over the water of Melaleuca Inlet to Mt Rugby.

I then had 4 days (I started the PDT a couple of days early & did not use any rain/rest days on the PDT) of relaxation at Melaleuca until proceeding on the South Coast Track as related way above.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
DSCF9558.JPG

And so I get to Melaleuca proper. The end of the Port Davey Track as it is in modern times. It of course originally went West then South West at the Spring River bridge area over to Port Davey way. I might look for a map of the original route another day. The ship wrecks the track was meant to service were more on the Tas West coast rather than the South coast.

This is the 2nd walkers hut built by Denny King and has been updated in recent years and is now cared for by the Launceston Walking Club hence the name. The most recent and very welcome revision is new stainless steel gutters and water tanks for fresh water supply.

DSCF9559.JPG

Looking to the South over the Melaleuca runway to the New Harbour Range. The red hut is Denny King's workshop, to the left the white dots in the trees are the Orange Bellied Parrot nesting boxes. These were active when I was there.

DSCF9561.JPG

Looking back North to over the water of Melaleuca Inlet to Mt Rugby.

I then had 4 days (I started the PDT a couple of days early & did not use any rain/rest days on the PDT) of relaxation at Melaleuca until proceeding on the South Coast Track as related way above.

What did you do in your four days of 'relaxation'?

A jaunt out to SW Cape?

Swim some laps in the lagoon?

Find some special rocks to stash in DSNS's pack when he arrived?

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9563.JPG
DSCF9572.JPG
DSCF9598.JPG
DSCF9601.JPG

So I had 4 days to rest up and have a holiday at Melaleuca. These pics are of Denny King's work shop that has been tidied and preserved somewhat. Anything ,metal is now well coated in oil. The boat shed is at the back of the King house, the boats were pretty active as the Kings' plus were in residence. The chair I think is actually a Charlie King product, this is in the museum now set up in the old Bird Hide. I did get to sit in a Denny King version in the Kings' house at New Years. :)

Reactions: aazz and whether

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
DSCF9634.JPG
DSCF9635.JPG
DSCF9636.JPG
DSCF9639.JPG

It took a couple of days for the Sun to really appear after I got to Melaleuca, and these evening pictures were the first real Sunset light I'd seen for over a week.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass