A warm welcome to all new Weatherzone forum folk...

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Hi,

You have just found the best snow sport community on the internet
.. and, if I do say so myself, one of the best online communities you might find anywhere.

My name is Richard and my business partner and I, 'Dr @Ian D', have been running this joint for 24 years - with the unwavering assitance of an awesome crew of moderators, most of whom have also clocked up 20+ years.

You will find that our Weather forum is also full of folk #who.know.weather.real.good.like.

As you would expect, we have a focus on the kind of weather that delivers precious snow, however, after hearing about the impending closure of Weatherzone forums we have made some changes to the structure of our weather topics overnight to broaden our appeal - so please feel free to jump straight in to our weather crew's Winter snowed in BBQ thread.

There's also the introduction thread, and the where is this thread (a single thread that is now 10 years strong and a gudzillion posts - we got half a dozen continuously active 10yo threads about the place).

Be very wary of Doonks JOTD. So.. there's that, which is the dangerous downside of particpating here.

But if you click that DJOTD link you will discover that our forum search works really really well (compared to most forum site search) - and that's because we invest in what matters here and the search feature runs on it's own special (and rather expensive) 'elasticsearch' server that gets underwritten by the good folk who upgrade.

So.. on that note, and to be completely transparent, this place is still here because it's still financially viable even in this post Facebook world. And this is how we do it. Getting the formula right took a lot of pain and community conversation - but we got there and it's working. Please read because the way membership works on this forum is like nowhere else on the internet (that I know of)

And again, welcome, we hope you find a new home here.

(P.S. I'd personally post on weatherzone, but my account has not been approved yet)

-------------
Friday 5 Jul Edit

P.P.S
If you are unable to register with your Weatherzone name because it is already taken, post in this thread and I will see what I can do.

---------------
SPECIAL NOTE:
Is your email Hotmail ??

Ensure you check your 'spam or junk' folder for the confirmation email after registering.

More on registration problems

Last edited:

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Oh...

This is where you can join.

Sometimes our stopForumSpam software catches a few folk who are not spammers. I'll be monitoring closely for the next few days. But feel free to contact directly if any issues.

SPECIAL NOTE:
Is your email Hotmail ??
Ensure you check your 'spam or junk' folder for the confirmation email after registering.

More Notes for WZ folk

- Tutorials are here if needed.
- Normally, extra features are unlocked at 50 posts or six months registration, which includes access to Climate Science conversations. So if you are ex-WZ please let yourself be known and and I will unlock the 1st reward immediately.
- Try this forum on your mobile. It's the best forum on mobile experience going.

Wavey

One of Us
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW
More Notes for WZ folk

- Tutorials are here if needed.
- Normally, extra features are unlocked at 50 posts or six months registration, which includes access to Climate Science conversations - so if you are ex-WZ please let yourself be known and and I will unlock the 1st reward immediately.

Hi I am another ex-WZ member. Also, just to clarify, the BBQ thread is just for general weather chat, similar to the Day to day threads in WZ?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Hi I am another ex-WZ member. Also, just to clarify, the BBQ thread is just for general weather chat, similar to the Day to day threads in WZ?

Correct, there's also a BBQ thread in Conversation that's just chit chat about anything (and has been going for almost 20 years)

FYI - unlocked you are.

and also unlocked @AshestoAshes , welcome.

Reactions: Kletterer and Wavey

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Welcome aboard all.

Fingers crossed you will see and appreciate our slant on the importance of white weather, and you may even strap on a set of skis or a board some time soon if your weather interests currently lie elsewhere

Reactions: Wavey

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Im not a weather expert, or even a hobbyist, but one thing I do see is the amazing weather skills and knowledge that many of our members have and I may be bold to say their forecasting skills more often than not surpass those at the BoM

Reactions: Jacko4650

Wavey

One of Us
Jul 3, 2019
Wollongong, NSW

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
ummm..

@Wavey @AshestoAshes @Ben K @MegaMatch @Michael Hauber @Toboggan @Adaminaby Angler

there's a chap in Convo called @Vermillion, I think it's fair warning to let you know that he likes 'poo' threads, it's his thing -- and it's OK to not get involved (those threads usually go pear shaped. Literally).

It's only fair to point this out now me thinks.

Cheers Richard for the heads up. Does that mean I'm unlocked too?

As I said yesterday, I've been a 14 year lurker but certainly intend to post here more often from now on. More obs than predictions but that may change as time passes and I settle in.

Reactions: Sadie

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Welcome WZ folks, I look forward to you further broadening and deepening our weather discussion.

I’m just worried I’m now going to understand even less than I do now!!

You me too. And I been reading it for a looooong time.

I'm too dull between the ears to understand the pointy end of weather forecasting. I just paraphrase the expert predictions when out and about and that way I seem really smart -- it's like 'the perfect crime' !

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
ffs TOFF, put a proper sentence together, you can't win the hearts of the fairer gender if you can't communicate even a simple introduction.

I'm sure we've talked about this before ;)

sheeeesh
Its hard to type with an erection.

Reactions: hotsaki

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
Thanks for welcoming me after 13 years on WZ. However SE Qld and Qld Tropics in general are not exactly ski country. I have posted on WZ daily and monthly weather reports on local conditions for years, plus recent studies on seasonal rainfall for Brisbane and Townsville. However as yet there are no appropriate threads to cater for these here on SKI. Hopefully organizers here on SKI can fix this up for we refugees from WZ.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Thanks for welcoming me after 13 years on WZ. However SE Qld and Qld Tropics in general are not exactly ski country. I have posted on WZ daily and monthly weather reports on local conditions for years, plus recent studies on seasonal rainfall for Brisbane and Townsville. However as yet there are appropriate threads to cater for these here on SKI. Hopefully organizers here on SKI can fix this up for we refugees from WZ.

Welcome, and feel free to start new threads in the newly created 'The Tropics' sub-weather forum. There is only a couple of threads there at the moment, the mods and I will move any approriate older threads over as we uncover it form the Alpine forum.

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
Thanks again for the kind welcome. My only issue is that anywhere south of the Tropic of Capricorn aren't really tropical. In WZ, there is a sub-forum for this area (north of about Bundaberg) for the tropics, then the rest lie outside of that boundary (say, SE Queensland and NE NSW, Coastal NSW, etc). Maybe add another sub-forum including the sub-tropics? I don't know.

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
Thanks again for the kind welcome. My only issue is that anywhere south of the Tropic of Capricorn aren't really tropical. In WZ, there is a sub-forum for this area (north of about Bundaberg) for the tropics, then the rest lie outside of that boundary (say, SE Queensland and NE NSW, Coastal NSW, etc). Maybe add another sub-forum including the sub-tropics? I don't know.
I think @Richard is prepared to evolve the structure with demonstrable volume. It is probably easier to grow diversity with the community than segment it up and collapse it.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle

Ok.

So we are making this up as we go along. Kinda. Here's some background to the changes we made last night.

What I do know, is that I can't just create 25 new sub-forums the way WZ had them, so far there's maybe 15 of you here. We have to grow this organically to ensure each forum has sufficient activity else the whole thing collapses as a ghost town. On this you will need to have faith in me because I done this a great many times and helped other communities with similar issues.

That said, you are my best source of working this out, so I'm listening.

(puts on thinking cap, consults the book of armaments)

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
I think @Richard is prepared to evolve the structure with demonstrable volume. It is probably easier to grow diversity with the community than segment it up and collapse it.

That's a good point. It could be something that could happen further down the track rather than immediately. I am just speaking for those new users who technically live nowhere near the tropics, they see https://www.ski.com.au/xf/categories/weather.9/ and think, 'Where do I belong? I don't live in the tropics and I don't live in an Alpine area'.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
That's a good point. It could be something that could happen further down the track rather than immediately. I am just speaking for those new users who technically live nowhere near the tropics, they see https://www.ski.com.au/xf/categories/weather.9/ and think, 'Where do I belong? I don't live in the tropics and I don't live in an Alpine area'.
North of port maq? Tropics.

Welcome btw.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle

Ok.

So lets say we have;

Weather
Alpine & Snow
The Tropics
Southern
General & World.
The problem we then have as @POW_hungry and others have noted is that most of the weather systems that we track as a snow focussed community are Southern.

To be clear, this is about nomeclature and microcontent, the right forum 'name' should convey what a forum is for - without the need for too much clarification. However, when there is too much 'literal prescribing' then you end up with 55 sub-forums and two thirds are inactive and everyone ends up in the 'BBQ' thread (or forum equivalent thereof).

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
What I

Ok.

So lets say we have;

Weather
Alpine & Snow
The Tropics
Southern
General & World.
The problem we then have as @POW_hungry and others have noted is that most of the weather systems that we track as a snow focussed community are Southern.

To be clear, this is about nomeclature and microcontent, the right forum 'name' should convey what a forum is for - without the need for too much clarification. However, when there is too much 'literal prescribing' then you end up with 55 sub-forums and two thirds are inactive and everyone ends up in the 'BBQ' thread (or forum equivelant thereof).
could southern be Rest of Aus

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
Ok.

So we are making this up as we go along. Kinda. Here's some background to the changes we made last night.

What I do know, is that I can't just create 25 new sub-forums the way WZ had them, so far there's maybe 15 of you here. We have to grow this organically to ensure each forum has sufficient activity else the whole thing collapses as a ghost town. On this you will need to have faith in me because I done this a great many times and helped other communities with similar issues.

That said, you are my best source of working this out, so I'm listening.

(puts on thinking cap, consults the book of armaments)

No worries, I wasn't implying that at all. I think that would be the absolute worst thing to do to be honest. But it has to be stated that the area QLD covers is huge and on WZ, people in the tropics often wanted nothing to do with us in the subtropics and vice versa. My concern is if we limit it too much (for example, only the Tropics) then new users outside of the tropics, let's say in Brisbane, might be deterred and feel a little confused since Brisbane is far from the tropics. They won't know where to post. I think Tropics and Subtropics would be the way to go, Day-to-Day weather threads for southern QLD/NSW can all be lumped into Subtropics and Tropics can just stay as is now. Just my 2c.

edit: Yeah, Mike's suggestion might work too. Like I said, just tossing up some ideas, that's all.

Trail Blazer

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2000
Jimi on Weatherzone. Pymble, Sydney
Agree that less is more as far as actual forums go, it's not like any of these will be overrun by 50 active threads at once.

WZ, for example, might have benefited from having the tropical (general) and cyclone forums as one.

You could rebrand the tropical forum as something like "tropics and sub-tropics" and shift the NE NSW/SE QLD chat there. It'd get some momentum going in that forum more quickly as well.

Edit: @Michael Hauber great minds...

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Perhaps rename tropics to 'Tropics and subtropics'. That would reasonably cover everywhere where it never/almost never snows and I'm guessing everywhere else is happy under Alpine & Lower States?

genius

let me massage that for a bit.

I'm feeling a sneaky Thursday beer might help me move through this, dunno about you WZ lot but I get thirsty on 'the big jobs'

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
genius

let me massage that for a bit.

I'm feeling a sneaky Thursday beer might help me move through this, dunno about you WZ lot but I get thirsty on 'the big jobs'

Richard,

I'd just like to say that the lengths you are going to, as well as some of your regulars such as Jelly, to welcome us WZ folk is unprecedented and very much appreciated.
I'm trying to pump up ski.com over at WZ to get as many over here as possible for this very reason, as I know there are a heap of valuable contributors over there.

Cheers.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Richard,

I'd just like to say that the lengths you are going to, as well as some of your regulars such as Jelly, to welcome us WZ folk is unprecedented and very much appreciated.
I'm trying to pump up ski.com over at WZ to get as many over here as possible for this very reason, as I know there are a heap of valuable contributors over there.

Cheers.

Thanks mate :thumbs: I'm off for a bit to crack a beer and think, back in a jiff.

Reactions: Homer
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass