A warm welcome to all new Weatherzone forum folk...

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Hi guys, I like posting pictures from time to time, any size limits?
Im really liking this site, I see I'm going to get lost for days in here. Ive already taken a half a day off from work!!:)

40 10MB is maximum upload

Reactions: Eddy

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.

Eddy

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Port Stephens
Ok thanks guys 40MB is pretty massive compared to WZ, 1000Kb was WZ limit.
Is there a limit to how many pictures per post? And WZ had a 1024 pixels on the longest border, I would imagine it would be similar here too?
Cheers
Ed

Reactions: skifree

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Is there a limit to how many pictures per post? And WZ had a 1024 pixels on the longest border, I would imagine it would similar here too?
Cheers
Ed

No Sandy was right, it's currently 10 - it going to be 40 after the upgrade.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Is there a limit to how many pictures per post? And WZ had a 1024 pixels on the longest border, I would imagine it would similar here too?
Cheers
Ed

No width or height restriction, just the file size.

20 per post is maximum.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
re: Images on this forum

What happens is this;

Upload images get processed by kracken.io to optimise file size but width and height remains same.

Then on display, we use a 'Dynamic Image Server' called imgix which resizes images on the fly and cuts them for either desktop or mobile.

In this way, the original image is never lost or degraded and over time as screen resolution changes we just change the setting on imgix service.

We also 'lazyload' images so that on mobile performance is fast.

The imigx service adds 50% to the cost of hosting these forums, but it's worth every cent, you should try an image heavy thread like todays "I really love my dog pic" thread on mobile phone.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
The general or BBQ threads a slightly less on topic, as we realised a while back that people need to laugh and have a bit of banter sometimes!!! ;)
But the "no abuse" policy still applies.
You've heard of the dark web where horrible nasty content exists ?
On this forum there's a place called DJOTD.

0007064536_100.png

Kino

Early Days
Jul 5, 2019
Newbie from WxZone - is there an earthquake/tsunamis & associated stuff thread?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Newbie from WxZone - is there an earthquake/tsunamis & associated stuff thread?

Hello Kino,

There has been several over the years, not sure which section they would have fallen within.

Try the advanced forum search here

Also for a different set of results, try the site search which uses Bing - its' very good but can not see threads in any of the Apres topics. That site search link above searches earthquake - several results there.

If you find any of interest - simply post a comment and this will float it to the top of active topics and myself or one of the mods can move it to the new General & World Weather section.

And thanks for upgrading to Gold straight out of the gates
:thumbs: :thumbs:
:cheers:

Seabreezes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
South West Rocks, NSW
Is it ok for non-alpine snow in places like the Northern Tablelands, Kaputar, and QLD's Granite Belt to be discussed in the Subtropics subforum, or would you prefer it in the Snow section of the forum? :)
I also have some pics from my snow chases I did while living in Armidale for Uni (2009-2011) too.

No, you are right,

it's still 10MB here.

It's going to be 40MB on the new server we migrate to in a few weeks which is what I just configured last week (we can upload video on that one and it will also play in a a player )
Sweet baby jeebus! :emoji_astonished::thumbs:

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
Hello Kino,

There has been several over the years, not sure which section they would have fallen within.

Try the advanced forum search here

Also for a different set of results, try the site search which uses Bing - its' very good but can not see threads in any of the Apres topics. That site search link above searches earthquake - several results there.

If you find any of interest - simply post a comment and this will float it to the top of active topics and myself or one of the mods can move it to the new General & World Weather section.

And thanks for upgrading to Gold straight out of the gates
:thumbs: :thumbs:
:cheers:

Yep I just moved a bunch of old cyclone threads to the new tropical forum. If you find old threads that should be in one of the new subforums, drop a line to any mod (or just report the thread using this button
upload_2019-7-5_13-27-6.png
) and we'll move it across.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Seabreeze, if it's the same people that are traditionally in the NE NSW/SE QLD thread, I think the same forum would be fine. It's relevant to the region, which is how the forums are split up at the moment (rather than weather types, which might have people jumping around more than we're used to)

^ this

keep it in the right geo section - us regulars will find snow no matter where it's posted. :D

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Is it ok for non-alpine snow in places like the Northern Tablelands, Kaputar, and QLD's Granite Belt to be discussed in the Subtropics subforum, or would you prefer it in the Snow section of the forum? :)
With the new geographical locations subforums, I'd say it's about weather there, and if that includes snow in those locations, I reckon it's fine to post it.... It actually makes sense to post it there.
Realistically, unless there are date and location specific threads (e.g. Obs 10-14th July resorts snow, etc) you can probably post any weather related info in your geographical area sub forum

Reactions: Richard

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
Yep I just moved a bunch of old cyclone threads to the new tropical forum. If you find old threads that should be in one of the new subforums, drop a line to any mod (or just report the thread using this button
upload_2019-7-5_13-27-6.png
) and we'll move it across.
Oh and I should note that I used the Windows "Snipping Tool" to get the report post button graphic ... so easy, just use snipping tool on an element of the screen- then press Cntrl-V to paste that graphic into any post ... Simples!
upload_2019-7-5_13-35-49.png

upload_2019-7-5_13-36-2.png

upload_2019-7-5_13-36-19.png

ok ill stop now.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
And heres of photo of Claude Cat assembling the first internet reply on October 30th 1969.
images (11).jpeg

The sharp eyed observers will note that this was prior to his sex change in 1970 when he was known as Claudette Cat. Rumour has it part of the reason for the gender change was that with the truncated Christian name he would save punching and loading 250 cards each time ;)
stay on topic ;)

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Thanks for asking Richard but I registered using my email address. I would love to be Locke again but understand if this isn't possible due to how I registered. I imagine your quite busy right now helping our us former WZers :)

Done (almost missed this in the pace of this thread)

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Richard is paying extra close attention at the moment,but a good tip is to actually tag him as @Richard. That way he will get a notification that you are trying to say something to him

Thanks for the tip.
It's a Friday night and I didn't want to bother him as he has been more than helpful already.
I was happy for it to just happen whenever he had time.
Cheers.

Eddy

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Port Stephens
re: Images on this forum

What happens is this;

Upload images get processed by kracken.io to optimise file size but width and height remains same.

Then on display, we use a 'Dynamic Image Server' called imgix which resizes images on the fly and cuts them for either desktop or mobile.

In this way, the original image is never lost or degraded and over time as screen resolution changes we just change the setting on imgix service.

We also 'lazyload' images so that on mobile performance is fast.

The imigx service adds 50% to the cost of hosting these forums, but it's worth every cent, you should try an image heavy thread like todays "I really love my dog pic" thread on mobile phone.

I like the Idea of uploading a picture straight from your computer and I'm impressed with the no loss of image quality, but who has the rights to that picture once uploaded? Can it be deleted? Can anyone else access it?
Of course I can still use an external hosting site.

Reactions: Chaeron

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
It’s like magic

Note: your login username is now Homer

Richard, you have been an absolute effing beast dealing with all us WZ'ers.
Thank you once again. Your efforts will never be forgotten.
For the record, it appears that ski.com will become the favored choice of most WZ converts.
For that, you should be congratulated.

I have used WinHTTrack Website Copier a handful of times and only for very small sites.

It will duplicates a site to your local machine (windows).

It may be an option, especially if you can define folders or individual pages.

In terms of then making it available for prosperity, you would need some experience in web development knowledge to then rehost for the public and you would likely still need copyright permission.

Thanks Richard
In time l will check it out.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
That faster speed will be awesome. The EC Rapid 1 hourly GIFS i have been wanting to post currently are too much to handle.

one drop

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
maryborough, QLD
https://archive.org/web/
Thank you IAN D
I have been investigating this site
but one concern.

Weatherzone will delete their server or bin it. Does the archive site rely on the weatherzone forum server in any a
way. I noticed the weatherzone URl appears when you load an archived page

i think the wayback machine will still require us to go through and specifically archive some of the sections.
we're probably best to make sure there is an snapshot of all the important threads on a specific day, for ease of use.

Reactions: Chaeron and crikey

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
I think it's been echoed by all here when said; we're stoked to inherit the brains trust of WZ forums.
It will be the silver-lining in the demise of the WZ forums.

And, to be honest, they deserve it.
Fossils I think is the word that comes to mind when it comes to that forum.
I'm really hoping it will be a big boost to ski.com.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Yep, I use to be WZ alongside ski.com, then jumped to theaustralianweatherforum.com which still has a good Vic group. But you cant beat the ski.com for weather, sport, anything and a but of snow stuff.. not like I ski anymore.. kids.. grumble.. old..
You’ll get back to it...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass