A warm welcome to all new Weatherzone forum folk...

PlumbBob

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Molendinar
Howdy chaps, great to see a continuation of seqld nensw weather here which I often squizzed on wz along with contributing an occasional stormy photo.
Thnx SKI - hope this new site can produce better storms for the Gold Coast ? ?
Cheers
Test Pic attached
W_Tiff0255_N_StitchM1_JPGM1.jpg

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
Totally impressed with this forum and the process happening to welcome WZ folks!

What I can add, is that saving that forum as an archive or selling it or even giving it away is waaaay more trouble than it is worth to a corporate. Just the process of a 'lift and shift' would cost upwards of $10K or $20K of Fairfax engineer time and then whoever received it inherits a nightmare of migration issues trying to modernise that old UBB software.

The death sentence was probably five years ago when they failed to migrate off UBB onto something like Vbulletin - . . .
As a former Mod during the last five years of a large ski forum, EpicSki dot com (created and trademarked before Vail invented the Epic Pass), I know that situation was also partially a result of failures due to the underlying software. The termination in 2017 was abrupt. By then the website was owned by a corporate owner. When the software become obsolete and was no longer going to be supported (soon after software company was bought out), the owner opted to shut down the website and forum. They gave two weeks notice after the N. American season had wound down, which was extended another two weeks (closed in May). There were forum members who didn't find out the forum was gone for months, not until the N. American pre-season rolled around.

The EpicSki Site Manager at the time was just a hired hand. He knew for years as the tech member of the administrative team that migrating from the existing software was necessary. But making it happen was another story. The price tag would've been well over US$50,000 if a consulting company could even be found to tackle the job. So essentially the forum was doomed by choosing that software ten years earlier. Having over 30,000 active accounts wasn't enough without a way to monetize and keep up with the times. As the shut down approached, the corporate owner wasn't about to spend money to save the archives, which dated back almost 20 years.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Totally impressed with this forum and the process happening to welcome WZ folks!

As a former Mod during the last five years of a large ski forum, EpicSki dot com (created and trademarked before Vail invented the Epic Pass), I know that situation was also partially a result of failures due to the underlying software. The termination in 2017 was abrupt. By then the website was owned by a corporate owner. When the software become obsolete and was no longer going to be supported (soon after software company was bought out), the owner opted to shut down the website and forum. They gave two weeks notice after the N. American season had wound down, which was extended another two weeks (closed in May). There were forum members who didn't find out the forum was gone for months, not until the N. American pre-season rolled around.

The EpicSki Site Manager at the time was just a hired hand. He knew for years as the tech member of the administrative team that migrating from the existing software was necessary. But making it happen was another story. The price tag would've been well over US$50,000 if a consulting company could even be found to tackle the job. So essentially the forum was doomed by choosing that software ten years earlier. Having over 30,000 active accounts wasn't enough without a way to monetize and keep up with the times. As the shut down approached, the corporate owner wasn't about to spend money to save the archives, which dated back almost 20 years.
It's a cautionary tale, I'm reliant on a number of online software products and what happened to EpicSki is always in my mind.

snowbarbie

Addicted
Jul 6, 2019
....another here abandoning the HMAS Weatherzone - glad I'm not the captain. Thanks to the crew for timely rescue.

My particular interest is snowfall in w.a - the alpine minnow of last resort - and all aspects of general weather which contribute thereto.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle

The back story for WZ is that we helped advise Mark Hardy in the original setup and that's why they chose UBB - these forums were on UBB too. UBB was far and away the superior product in 2000. However it eventually got abandoned and we almost missed the boat ourselves, migrating to XF in about 2013. It was a huge effort then - we had to sync to an old version of VBulletin, upgrade that and then sync across to XF. Took over 24 hours with several sys ops folk at the wheels.

Even though the regulars grizzle when updates and changes happen to a platform - you gotta push through the pain else all of a sudden you are ten years behind and it's game over.

The next upgrade is going to be a little bit of a jolt from this, but it does come with inbuilt video player and video uploads.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
So essentially the forum was doomed by choosing that software ten years earlier.

I remember that platform software that Epic was on well, I made some serious inquiries myself around 2008~2009 for us. Fortunately it was too expensive but it had a lot of features that no other forum software had at the time and was very enticing.

Reactions: Chaeron

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
....another here abandoning the HMAS Weatherzone - glad I'm not the captain. Thanks to the crew for timely rescue.

My particular interest is snowfall in w.a - the alpine minnow of last resort - and all aspects of general weather which contribute thereto.
A good chance at some non-settling snowfall on BK yesterday arvo. Can't see anything on social media, but Upper levels and FL were there, snow line marginal @~1100m.

Reactions: Kletterer

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Thank you IAN D
I have been investigating this site
but one concern.

Weatherzone will delete their server or bin it. Does the archive site rely on the weatherzone forum server in any a
way. I noticed the weatherzone URl appears when you load an archived page

Yeah good point, no I think stuff will be lost. There is some of our old UBB stuff on there but a lot of pages fail to load for that exact reason.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
The changes made are not only for the sole purpose of the influx of WZ members. Its also for our existing and core members to experience a more usable space- with diversity yet maintaining a simplistic navigational structure.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth

A decent WA resort is a WIP. There is a local snow Sports club* working on that.

*WASTED: Westralian Alpine Snow Tragics Enjoying Downhill. We're hoping to convince the Mines Department to instruct all mine sites to dump all tailings in the one location so we can finally have our own 2K+ peak. Then we will petition the BOM to schedule more snow for WA.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
I found a series of threads on SKI called knowledge bank here https://www.ski.com.au/xf/forums/knowledge-bank.21/
But they all seem old threads at plus 12 years since last post.
Does something similar to knowledge bank continue to exist on this forum?
In one of the older forum software versions there had to be a regular clear out of older threads so the board wouldn't fall over. There was also a limit to how many posts in a thread before it had to be closed.

Sometimes there were threads that you wanted to keep around, so they went into the knowledge bank, classic threads or Q & A.

When the software was upgraded that wasn't needed anymore.

There is also a wiki but it hasn't felt the love for quite some time. I believe there are plans to change that.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
In one of the older forum software versions there had to be a regular clear out of older threads so the board wouldn't fall over. There was also a limit to how many posts in a thread before it had to be closed.

Sometimes there were threads that you wanted to keep around, so they went into the knowledge bank, classic threads or Q & A.

When the software was upgraded that wasn't needed anymore.

There is also a wiki but it hasn't felt the love for quite some time. I believe there are plans to change that.
Thank you D-eye. So if I wanted to continue following or contributing to a “knowledge bank” is the wiki the best, and does it need more to sustain its longevity?

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Thank you D-eye. So if I wanted to continue following or contributing to a “knowledge bank” is the wiki the best, and does it need more to sustain its longevity?
The knowledge bank is locked, threads could only be moved there.
The wiki required a separate account, I'm not sure if registration for it is open at the moment.
@Richard what's the plan for the wiki?

Reactions: seak

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Yep, doesn't go well with snow but it great in the sub-tropics;). If you feel if I can influence the weather, I will make sure that I stay away so I don't ruin your snow.:)

If you can influence the weather, then damn it, we'll do our best to convert you to snow sports.

The payoff will be huge, no matter the cost.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle

Just message me which thread exactly with a link and I can move it back into an appropriate forum.

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass