AAWT 2023 ?

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Doing any distance in Oz making friends with the dark is the start - I’ve never minded walking or skiing at night and in Oz especially with the heat in summer being relaxed about either starting early or finishing later just opens things up.

Navigating by GPS in the dark in unfamiliar country has its moments, but setting parameters one is comfortable with and knowing when you’re OK to continue and when it’s best to stop is a big step forward.

Don't mind skiing in the dark but walking at night in summer would worry me about standing on long slithery things

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
walking at night in summer would worry me about standing on long slithery things
Summer days are long, you should not need to walk at night.

Pretty slim chance of stepping on a snake, says me who has stepped on a few over the years but I've lost track of how many. The thing to remember is not to stay there but take the next 6 steps quite quickly.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
@DidSurfNowSki just load up a pack, and do repeats of Stockyards, you will be either really fit or dead!
Actually having a second look at this the climb up Mt Gingera using the Stockyards track is ~1100m.

Coming in from the south of the AAWT, the biggest ascent is 1125m up Mt Erica

59734C84-3DD7-4960-8B9F-568042C27AB9.png

So yeah, a good warmup climb.

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
I was gonna post it here as well but Skifree is too quick...

I had the pleasure of attending the biennial AAWT stakeholder meeting at Charlotte Pass last week. The meeting was made up of Parks staff from Vic, ACT and NSW as well as stakeholders from organisations like Bushwalking Victoria, Canberra Bushwalking Club, National Parks Association, KHA, the Chapmans (guide book) and a few others. In total there were about 30 people in attendance over the two days.

I thought I would give a quick update on the state of the track for those who may be planing a walk in the near future.

ACT

- All of the official AAWT in the ACT is still closed

- Some very exciting new about to be released from ACT parks in regards to Namadgi including the Bimberi Wilderness!!! I cant say much else but there should be an announcement soon.

- The proposed alternate through the ACT is via the BNT from Oldfields hut and out toward Yaouk.

- Post fire tree assessment still underway

- Regrowth between upper cotter and Murray gap really bad after all the rain

- Baroomba to honeysuckle trail has been repaired but still not open.

Northern KNP

- AAWT open through this whole section.

- Foot bridge over Tantangara creek has been requested.

- This part of the park is recovering well post fires.

- No word on whether Four Mile hut, Happys hut or Brookes hut to be rebuilt.

- I have been part of a small team who has surveyed the historical route from Tabletop to Brookes hut site down Arsenic Ridge. Hopefully the AAWT will be realigned down the ridge. Awaiting NPWS environmental assessment.

Jagungal

- Business as usual. AAWT open

Main Range and Pilot

- AAWT will be realigned from Guthega to Charlotte pass on the new track that is part of the snowy Iconic Walk. I walked most of this small section and it is quite nice. It will be opening to the public soon.

- It was acknowledged by NPWS that most people go over the Rolling Ground as an alternate to the official track. Thankfully there wont be any infrastructure installed on this route.

- Upgrades underway on mesh walkway between Rawsons pass and Eagles Nest.

- Possible upgrade of the Dead Horse Gap track

- Possible toilet at Dead Horse Gap (Cascades carpark)

- Main Range very busy with 1000 people an hour walking past Rawsons Pass over the Xmas period!

- Pilot area recovering well post fire.

Cowombat - Johnnies top

- Recovering well

- Still some tree danger

fire affected section of the Australian Alps Walking Track is currently closed between Johnnies Top and Macs Creek Road.

The following vehicle tracks would be suitable as an alternative route west to east from Johnnies Top to Macs Creek Road:

Beloka Log Road

Buenba Gap Track

Buenba Road

Mt Hope Road

Buckwong Track

McCarthys Track

Macs Creek Road

Johnnies top to Hotham

- Johnnies top water tank survived.

- New johnnies top track (not much info)

Hotham to Mt Skene

- All water tanks survived

- Lots of markers burnt

- Barry saddle to Viking cleared

- Barry saddle tank upgraded!

- Lots of fallen timber

- Mt Howitt and King Billy track being damaged by horse riders

Walhalla update

- Black river log needs cross hatching. Too slippery

- Baw Baw plateau boardwalks being installed

- Walhalla being inundated with tourists

Guide book update

John and Monica Chapman releasing updated AAWT book in spring. The current edition is sold out.

I may have missed some things but I hope this helps someone. If anyone has any conflicting info please share below.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com

I had the pleasure of attending the biennial AAWT stakeholder meeting at Charlotte Pass last week. The meeting was made up of Parks staff from Vic, ACT and NSW as well as stakeholders from organisations like Bushwalking Victoria, Canberra Bushwalking Club, National Parks Association, KHA, the Chapmans (guide book) and a few others. In total there were about 30 people in attendance over the two days.

I thought I would give a quick update on the state of the track for those who may be planing a walk in the near future.

ACT

- Some very exciting new about to be released from ACT parks in regards to Namadgi including the Bimberi Wilderness!!! I cant say much else but there should be an announcement soon.

- The proposed alternate through the ACT is via the BNT from Oldfields hut and out toward Yaouk.

Northern KNP

- I have been part of a small team who has surveyed the historical route from Tabletop to Brookes hut site down Arsenic Ridge. Hopefully the AAWT will be realigned down the ridge. Awaiting NPWS environmental assessment.

Jagungal

Main Range and Pilot

- AAWT will be realigned from Guthega to Charlotte pass on the new track that is part of the snowy Iconic Walk. I walked most of this small section and it is quite nice. It will be opening to the public soon.

- It was acknowledged by NPWS that most people go over the Rolling Ground as an alternate to the official track. Thankfully there wont be any infrastructure installed on this route.

- Main Range very busy with 1000 people an hour walking past Rawsons Pass over the Xmas period!

Cowombat - Johnnies top

- Recovering well

- Still some tree danger

fire affected section of the Australian Alps Walking Track is currently closed between Johnnies Top and Macs Creek Road.

The following vehicle tracks would be suitable as an alternative route west to east from Johnnies Top to Macs Creek Road:

Beloka Log Road

Buenba Gap Track

Buenba Road

Mt Hope Road

Buckwong Track

McCarthys Track

Macs Creek Road

Johnnies top to Hotham

Hotham to Mt Skene

- Lots of markers burnt

- Lots of fallen timber

Walhalla update

Guide book update

John and Monica Chapman releasing updated AAWT book in spring. The current edition is sold out.

I may have missed some things but I hope this helps someone. If anyone has any conflicting info please share below.
I have walked a number of sections of the AAWT here in Vic. between Nov. 2020 and Late Jan. 2021 in a post VIC. lockdown 2.0 frenzy of activity.

Some sections are O.K. and others need BTAC/ Parks Vic. working bees to clear them of fallen trees and thick sub alpine scrub which is head high in places.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra

ACT

Northern KNP

Jagungal

Main Range and Pilot

Cowombat - Johnnies top

- Recovering well

- Still some tree danger

Beloka Log Road

Buenba Gap Track

Buenba Road

Mt Hope Road

Buckwong Track

McCarthys Track

Macs Creek Road

Johnnies top to Hotham

Hotham to Mt Skene

- Lots of markers burnt

- Lots of fallen timber

Walhalla update

Guide book update

My goal is Yankee Hat access .

Reactions: zapruda

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
*** cough, cough *** @zac150

Time to spill the beans ;)

ACT section opening in full just before or around easter

I found this out today through an unnamed source

I cannot understand that this was meant to be "a secret" (so the minister can look good?)

What a joke

Its the people's parks. Freedom of information?! Ability to plan?! Knowledge is power. Economic benefits blah blah

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
3 + remembering i have a place at DP

Aiming to walk it in 3 weeks + rest days at thredbo, glen wills, DP, mac springs

Might be ambitious if i have to use the BNT in the ACT and the johnnies top detour

Anyone have a topo of the BNT and how much extra distance it is?
I know you are super fit and many years younger than I am but 3-4 weeks for completing the entire AAWT is an impressive plan.
I have walked many sections of the AAWT this 2020-2021 Green season. Even with ultra light gear which I do not have it is tough . Lots of scrub bashing, plenty of up and down. My knees needed a break after the Mt. Wills to Cleve Cole Hut section.
Please keep us Forum users updated with your adventures :)

Last edited:

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
@hongomania Here’s the BNT from Oldfields hut to Namadgi Visitors centre.

https://maps.ozultimate.com/?lat=-35.560160582607935&lng=149.095458984375&zoom=14&id=1615675171714

It’s a shit alternate in my opinion. Too much road walking and marginal country.

From what I’ve been told Namadgi will be open by the time you pass through.

I’m looking forward to the updates.

I did it in 3 weeks years ago and never felt like I was pushing myself.

If you need someone to pick you up from the trailhead in the ACT let me know.

Good luck!

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Planning on starting the route in full around march 25th

Makes it a bit difficult when you cannot get information to plan *facepalm*
Spoke to your mate at Glen Wills this morning and told him to expect a visit or a call soon. He said he would join you for a bit but probably would not keep up. He was looking forward to the catch up if that is your plan. You would be in need of a good hot shower by then anyway.

Reactions: hongomania

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
@hongomania Here’s the BNT from Oldfields hut to Namadgi Visitors centre.

https://maps.ozultimate.com/?lat=-35.560160582607935&lng=149.095458984375&zoom=14&id=1615675171714

It’s a shit alternate in my opinion. Too much road walking and marginal country.

From what I’ve been told Namadgi will be open by the time you pass through.

I’m looking forward to the updates.

I did it in 3 weeks years ago and never felt like I was pushing myself.

If you need someone to pick you up from the trailhead in the ACT let me know.

Good luck!

Awesome, thanks for that. Yep thats a disgusting detour, no chance

Maybe ill delay by a week and hope act is open by then. My mate is pretty keen on north to south and i tend to agree - makes sense logistically too getting food drops done on the drive up

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Awesome, thanks for that. Yep thats a disgusting detour, no chance

Maybe ill delay by a week and hope act is open by then. My mate is pretty keen on north to south and i tend to agree - makes sense logistically too getting food drops done on the drive up
It has been quite a wet summer so finding water won't be quite as hard as it could be in Autumn.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass