ABS Airbags - Australia shipping warning

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
I've being looking to buy an ABS pack for the upcoming Craigieburn/Temple Basin club field trip to NZ to replace my current avalung pack.

Ordered it online on the weekend from Europe so that I could get the lighter weight carbon cartridges (which they don't sell in the USA) as well as the steel ones. The seller contacted me today to say that they have had problems shipping any cartridges to Oz as customs won't allow them into the country - they double checked today and customs said no. Stupidity from customs given that the cartridges can be carried as check in on planes under the ITAA guidelines. Customs not listening.

Seller now wants to sell me the pack/base unit only and refund me for the cartridges which which is not worth it . Thought I'd let others know to be careful in trying to ship them to Oz.

Apparently there is an ABS distributor in NZ.

Cheers

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Interesting. What a PITA.

We bought ours in Europe, and have since taken it to NZ and back and then Europe and back again with no issues - cartridges in carry on of course and not in the mail like I am assuming yours is.

In case there were any issues when I went to NZ I contacted the distributor over there - he said if I had problems or had to deploy one I could buy a set from him in ChCh for my trip. So you could still do this for your trip.

johnski

Hard Yards
Jan 1, 1970
Perth
Thank CM, good to know re NZ distributor.

To clarify, when you fly presume the ABS cartridge goes in your checked in luggage in the hold? vs. in the cabin with you.
Cheers

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
I'll be in France next week
wink.gif

Any orders?

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using