Access track reports to NE VIC.

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Team Bears have acquired a mean looking blade for our "whipper snipper"well it's a straight shaft brush cutter of moderate output...we will road test this weekend ....hopefully it will lead us to cut faster....its carbide tungsten tipped.Bears upgrading their protective eyewear too.

Weather looks settled for awhile so we should make a dent in some of our projects.
    We may spin it up in the back garden tonight to see it functions ok.:thumbs:

Hopefully Team Bears can get at Walking Trail between Mt Wills and the Big River Saddle over next month....firstly to check it out and then to get chainsaw along if and where required.
    We did it last year before winter....but there are sure to be some trees across track.

Mr T and others have been providing very useful information on approaches ....we are appreciative of their posts.

crackson and neilmny like this.
  2. crackson

crackson A Local
    Season Pass Gold

The disc blades are good.

Those 4point metal blades shake too much.

3. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

I just had a little test ...it's impressive..I was a bit dubious ...it is a lot heavier ...but no vibration set up.....cut thro dry(dead) woody shrub same diam as diam of my thumb in split sec with not much applied power.

I will give it a go this weekend ....better get much better eye protection I think.

Team Bears have new toy to try out in the field ...whoopee!
    It's just like a Saw blade this thing....

4. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Is this an access thread or a tool talk?

Access advice & info stays here.

Tool talk to Conversation.

5. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Well good point...
    Team Bears hope to use our new tool to enable better access on Longspur 4x4 track...in comming weekends.

So point taken ....

6. crackson

crackson A Local
    Season Pass Gold

Stay on topic.

Chaeron and skifree like this.
  7. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Another half kilometre of scrub cut this arvo...the new disc with carbide tungsten tip is cutting very well.Well worth the $35 outlay..So camped at end of Longspur 4x4 track and cutting back towards main rd.
    Chainsawed some minor debri on way in to keep debri away from Tyers .
    It's a really nice Campsite up here.Moon is large and is almost horizontal to my eye.Off to sleep soon and some more track cut tomorrow till I get bored or tired.May get some pics tomorrow of some of the action involving Team Bears.Nice sitting by fire after lugging the brush cutter around!!

Weather stable a bit of cloud drifting between Team Bears and the big glowing disc in the sky.So we are making a dent in this project but it's more than laborious .

8. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Early morning Mulhauser High Camp
    Still and settled ,,,you can see for miles to the west and north from up here.

9. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Bears have now cut 1.5 km from the end heading back to Big River Rd..We estimate another 1.5km. Needs to be cut with brush cutter.

On way out we were greeted with another large fallen tree.But end had fractured on outside of road and rest was virtually overhanging and not going to fall on roadway.It was not a pretty site....new chain went on but used old chain to level this spike inpaled in road surface..So a 4x4 can easily get along here...only middle section of this track needs more work.The change to a disc(similar to bench Saw)was a great success.:emoji_gear::emoji_gear:

#9 Ubiquitous Steve, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  10. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Oh now I am back in WiFi land...the view to the Nth of Mt Mulhauser......you can see the peak near Dartmouth Dam that the Fire Tower sits on.....above post should read views to the east and north are extensive...

11. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

No flying off the handle Team Bears say....observe the moderators directives !
    Or heads will roll!

12. crackson

crackson A Local
    Season Pass Gold

^Post #11 @ 11:11

13. bawbawbel

bawbawbel One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Good through debris, no doubt. But would not a Weedwacker be faster through blackberry infestations ?

14. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Some places ....possibly need poison spraying.But this is not on Team Bears agenda...just cut scrub well back from track so vehicles can use Track without getting the paint work ripped off.And perhaps a couple of areas to park or pass or turn around too!

15. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Painfully slow progress continued on the 4x4 track....total now cleared is 2.5km.The blade is making this project possible.We need another 0.5km to finish this project.The dozer that was last here cleaned the first approx 3km very well (that is removed scrub on and beside Track)thereafter the dozer just pushed off rocks and fallen timber.So the last three kms was the bushy bit.....it's more under control now!!
    The work of the D4 is much appreciated as the track surface is free of boulders and fallen timber.There are a couple of spots in the micro saddles that turning around is possible.When Team Bears have finished we will ensure that a couple of areas midway through can be little carparks or pull over areas.

Prognosis:a project that is not going to happen overnight!!But we had a good time at our little camp and had a nice fire after the small shower that past late Saturday arvo.

16. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I was using a rented whipper snipper with a circular metal blade to tame the jungle at my place. These things really work!

Ubiquitous Steve and crackson like this.
  17. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Camped at end if Long Spur 4x4 track..... brush cut final section of Track this arvo...Weather ..still and settled...lots of stars....mild temperature up here.So tomorrow Team Bears will spruce up any overhanging sections needing a second go over .Its really pretty good now.Any Logs protruding from side of track have been cut.Some little turn around areas will be started tomorrow also....thank god there are no dudes apart from hunters with guns up here.Its very very quiet up here.New esky is good....some cold Melb Bitters and some yogurt for tea!!

neilmny likes this.
  18. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Cage fight

19. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I am coming up to Mulhauser spur and Long spur on 10th of March, The Long weekend. I plan to drive from Melb. to Mitta Mitta in the morning( 5 hours drive), have lunch in Mitta Mitta and head up to Camp Mulhauser. I plan to have my chainsaw etc. with me by then. :)
    I will report on Ubi. Steve's handiwork. I am going up to the Dargo High Plains this Monday . I will scout out the southern gate at Emu Plain and other areas before that from Dargo to Lankey Plains hut.They could well have BC XC ski applications.

20. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Show us some photos of the 4 x 4 track on Long Spur.

21. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

You must keep your wheels in the wheel ruts as undergrowth cut to the side is a tyre hazard....don't pull over to let other vehicles pass unless you examine side of this track except in the grassy clearings .These photos taken in last 200m of this track.Had break fast so off to do some more touch up down track

22. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Track surface is good and dry at moment.No rock or timber hazards.....low range 4x4needed for about four small pinches.Rodeo has ample clearance so good for all 4x4s.Chainsaw essential up here ...things keep falling down on Big River Log Rd...but mostly poles of small diameter.More photos later ..work to be done before lunch!

23. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

One "rest area"completed...thirsty work on a hot day!Access from Big River Rd is good...some sticks on Logging road but no major debri...Team Bears have cut some logs lying on this road over last few weeks and hazard reduced some poles poking out on to edge of this road.