Question Accom Aggregator issues - lodge operator opinions sought [RESOLVED]

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by ponyrider, Jan 12, 2019.

  1. ponyrider

    ponyrider Hard Yards

    Joined:
    May 26, 2010
    Messages:
    252
    Likes Received:
    47
    Probably be interesting to have some feedback from lodge operators on this one. Primary query is, if you received two bookings from the same person, one via Expedia and one via Booking.com and they were for consecutive dates (one night with Expedia and the next five nights with Booking.com), would you ever just cancel the Booking.com and process it all under Expedia for the entire six consecutive nights? I'd be interested to know what information lodge operators receive from these accom aggregators. Then there is the question of commission - are they getting a lessor rate from Expedia than Booking.com and what might the latter think about being cut-out?

    A US lodge that had basically done that to me and they have increased the room rate in the process. Booking is in three weeks time. They have admitted to the overcharge and want to credit me food & bev (ok, fine). So I end up with essentially an inflated invoice from Expedia all the while when I log into my Booking.com I can still see the original 5 day booking in place at the original rate making me wonder I'll end up with two rooms (lodge assures me not).

    Sorting this out of course, has been difficult. Could sit around and speculate why the lodge doesn't just put two charges through as per original bookings, they have their own reasons I guess. From multiple email corro and a phone call, they aren't filling me with confidence that they know what they are doing. I understand the property has just been completely overhauled so imagine people are learning the ropes.

    In case you are thinking "why not book direct and save the operator the 5-20% comm?", well I would normally always do so. However, when Booking.com offer you "free cancellation" and the lodge operator does not, and you don't know 100% that you can actually make the trip, you go with the safest option. I spend about 90 nights a year in booked accom and chasing operators to price and/or condition match takes quite a lot of time for often not a lot of result. Opinions welcome.
     
  2. crackson

    crackson A Local
    Ski Pass: Gold

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2006
    Messages:
    7,244
    Likes Received:
    4,284
    That's enough demonstrated incompetence to cancel.

    I'd call the lodge owners and make them personally cancel it.

    Let the owner wallow in his own shit for zero profit.
     
  3. WaitAwhile

    WaitAwhile One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2012
    Messages:
    2,808
    Likes Received:
    1,178
    Did you book the same type of room in each booking.
    Im assuming you booked one night through one website and then used another for the other 5 nights.
    Which company did you make for the first booking.
    They may have allocated one room for one night but when you made a second booking the other room was allocated to someone else.
    You were then allocated another room.
     
  4. ponyrider

    ponyrider Hard Yards

    Joined:
    May 26, 2010
    Messages:
    252
    Likes Received:
    47
    Well I think my booking strategy probably contributed to the issue, but then again is it really that hard? First booking was Booking.com for 5 nights. Second booking was Expedia for 1 night immediately prior to the original booking (once travel arrangements were in place I realised I could get there a day earlier). Precisely the same room type and I emailed the lodge to give them a heads-up on the situation.

    No way I would consider cancelling now, the place is booked solid and alternatives are seriously expensive. I've got a feeling the lodge is using a new reservations system and hasn't ironed out the bugs maybe. They are communicating with me still so that's positive.
     
    skifree likes this.
  5. ponyrider

    ponyrider Hard Yards

    Joined:
    May 26, 2010
    Messages:
    252
    Likes Received:
    47
    Well it seems the lodge came to the party for me on this one, and didn't take very long. I've now got a substantial house credit to spend on F&B with a promise to refund any remaining balance at end of stay. Kudos to Booking.com for probably pushing this one along: I was surprised they were so responsive actually. Anyway, as stated earlier its always best to book direct if you can. The recent Bestjet fiasco is another reminder of that.