1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Accommodation. Chairlift proximity and value

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Alex Harkin, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Alex Harkin

Alex Harkin First Runs

I am planning a group trip to thredbo in August 2019 and am looking for help choosing accommodation. The group will consist of mostly beginners and some experts. I will list what we are after in order of importance.

Proximity to a chair lift: would love ski in ski out or a short walk to a chair lift.

Value/price: looking for comfortable accommodation but it does not need to be super nice with extra amenities.

Easy to get to begginer area

Close to bars/restaurants

Thanks for any help

2. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas A Local

River Inn ticks the first 3 boxes but I have heard some bad stories. Check out the Tripadvisor reviews. It's ski in ski out on Friday Flat (beginner area) and even though it's not right in the centre of the village it is a pretty easy walk into the Village Square. They've got their own bar too.

3. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Most of the accommodation around Friday Flat is relatively expensive

However Thredbo has an excellent bus service and you are only ever 10 minutes or so away from FF.

Shop around with your preferred dates as some places are still classifying August as peak and others classify as Shoulder with lower pricing

4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Be careful if you choose a true ski in ski out property at Crackenback with rank beginners. We had a property there when I took my first timer parents. My impression was it was a super easy run down to the Kosi chair, little walk over to Merritt Chair, get off at midstation and an easy slide down to Friday Flat. Ummm... totally freaked my Dad out and he stacked it hard. Mum wouldn’t even try. We drove them around to Friday Flat the rest of the week.

I’d stay close to Friday Flat.
    The experts can go to Gunbarrel lift and from there access where ever they want. For nightlife you are in town shoes not ski boots, so a bus or a walk is no biggie.

5. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

River Inn is great if you are good with cheap and cheerful.

And great location, can't bet it for beginners!

Otherwise self contained around the same area.

6. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I tried crackenback for the first time at Christmas, as we needed somewhere larger for a Xmas party and a place there fit the bill. Just walking around in was enough for us to cringe at the idea of winter there.

If the beginners aren’t rank beginners I.e they have skied before but still learning, chances are they will end up skiing Merrits, and whilst I wouldn’t generally recommend, there is a chair from the village centre (valley terminal) to Merrits.

It all depends, if if you want to self cater, or eat out a lot, are you planning to head out drinking, how long a stumble do you want home.

As Gareth said Thredbo is so well connected by buses during the day that everywhere can be reasonably easy to get too with skis. There are a few apartment blocks near the centre of town that could work for you, the walk to valley terminal lifts is a few hundred meters, and half that to the bus to Friday Flat.

But you pay, the central properties are half the size of the ones near Friday Flat but if your in and out to bars and dinner they make for an easy trip.

But if chilling in your apartment is the plan and only on night out then I’d go for a bigger place.

7. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

help us out by advising what sort of budget per week or night you believe is value?

8. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Stayed at River Inn last August. Was quite good really. Reasonably good breakfast and lots of it.

9. Alex Harkin

Alex Harkin First Runs

Thanks guys. Sounds like river inn or self contained place in Woodridge is the go.

Ozgirl likes this.
  10. Kangaroo

Kangaroo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I've stayed a few times in the Snowdrift apartments Love it there, but it's not ski-in ski-out. Small walk only. Highly recommend it. I have also stayed at the River Inn, indeed still do in summer when travelling on my own. The biggest tip about the River Inn - ask for a top floor room and one away from the stairs (the reason being noise on both counts).