1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Accommodation for 10 @ Falls Creek

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Marsh123, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Marsh123

Marsh123 Hard Yards

Hi All,

Newbie to the forum here, a friend recommended that I try here.

A ground of 10 of my friends are looking for some accommodation on the weekend of the 17th July - 19th. I've never been to falls before, a few others have been for a day trip but none of us have stayed on the mountain so our knowledge is hopeless.

Can anybody make some recommendations on places to look at. I've looked at a few already but there are so many different lodges / apartments to look at that it gets confusing after a while and my head already feels like its gonna pop.

Any help is greatly appreciated with the accommodation and any other tips / pointers is greatly appreciated.

Most of the guys have gear while others will be hiring, where is a good option to hire ski / board equipment?

A few options I've looked at are:
    Cedarwood apt. 27
    Alpine view apartment
    Elk at Falls

2. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

3. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

4. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Red Onion is always being advertised here (on the banners etc.). Sleeps 10 - I always liked the look of it but thought it was expensive but hey, could be an option.

http://www.redonionfallscreek.com.au/

How much did you want to spend and what was the make up of your group? If you had set dates (and if it is the weekend that limits your choice in terms of availability) I would just spam as many as you can to get an idea of what's available. Keeping in mind that accommodation will be just a place to sleep no reason you couldn't have 6 in one place and 4 in another (as an example - point is easy to meet up for feed and ski etc.) so as I said I would be looking at the make up of your group and who wants to spend what (some might be willing to spend more than others etc.)

5. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Damn you @Richard :p (looks like I am too slow). I have always noticed the Red Onion ads on your site.

6. Marsh123

Marsh123 Hard Yards

Thanks for the replies.

Have sent a request to Red Onion will see if its available.

We're all 25-30, a bit loud at times and there are 2 couples, the rest are guys and one additional girl. All work professionally so aren't cheapskates but can be tight-arsed at times.

We're aiming for the $100-$200 /night each mark so I think we'll have some options with that budget.

7. Richard

8. Marsh123

Marsh123 Hard Yards

I've gave them a call and its not available for our dates and is only for 5 or 7 nights. We need something for 2 nights, check in on Friday evening (driving from Melb) and check out on Sunday. Unfortunately Red Onion is out, looks like a nice place though.

9. Richard

bummer.

back to mountain multi service

10. Conners

Conners One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

11. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

I think anytime I have ever looked at it (Red Onion that is) there have been kids etc. so of course that per bed cost gets rolled up to their responsible adult so that can skew the equation. 10 adults happy to pay 100-200 each per night you would think you would easily get something sorted - good luck.

12. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It's worth giving some thought to location, as well. Many properties, esp. higher up the mountain, require you to use Oversnow transport to get your gear to your accommodation. On a Friday night, the wait can be lengthy and a group of 10 with lots of gear could take a while. So accomm. lower down, where you can park (briefly) and carry your gear to your rooms could be good value. Rocky Valley apts give you this option, for example, as does Les Chalets and, not quite as close, St. Trinians. Close to Falls Express lift, too. Just to let you know.

13. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

They are 25-30 @chriscross - they can bloody walk :D

Seriously - oversnow should NOT be a consideration. There is nowhere that you cant walk to even with a bit of gear and if you did need to go back for a second trip to get that carton etc. its not that big a deal. I think one trip I needed to do 3 trips up to Schuss (Parallel St so pretty high) lugging all the gear for a family for a week, ski and snowboard gear, food and baby gear etc.

Between 10 adults for a couple of nights I reckon they should be able to manage it LOL

14. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Try Schuss. You should be able to get in for those dates. It is as good a location as anywhere. You can get lift tickets across the road.

And @Scooter lugging all the gear for a family up to Schuss is an admirable effort :clap:but not necessarily that rational ROFL

15. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Send a couple of people up in the Oversnow with all the equipment and baggage (there will be a charge for the luggage, but still much cheaper than people).
    Mountain multiservice have a couple of apartments in High Plains near the Falls Express that are pretty reasonable. They also have a number of other large apartments.
    If all else fails you could get a couple of apartments in Snowski in the Bowl.

16. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This - my partner and I always do this. We put whatever we can get away with putting in the oversnow transport and he walks with the rest. I get the cosy ride up the hill in the oversnow vehicle!

17. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Also, Falls Creek Country Club is on the High Plains Road and does apartments - I don't know if they do one big enough for 10, but you might be able to book two smaller ones and spread your group across them? I've never stayed there, heard mixed reviews about it, but it is certainly convenient to the Gully chair and would remove the need for oversnow.

18. Marsh123

Marsh123 Hard Yards

Thanks for the advice everyone. At the moment we're looking at the following:
    - Cedarwood Apartment 27 - I'm not too sure about this one, some of the reviews and response from management on trip advisor are off-putting. Also not too sure about equipment storage here either
    - Altitude 12 share - On the pricier end of the scale but seems like a decent location near the bowl - any feedback on this one?
    - I called Mountain Multi, they'll give me a call back tomorrow with a few options within our budget.

Does anybody have any recommendations for ski hire? Get something on the drive in around Bright or Mt Beauty or get it on the mountain?

19. Apresski

Get it on the mountain, any issues with fit etc can be sorted out and you don't have to transport it. Where you rent from probably depends on the location of your accommodation. People swear by Central Sports at Winterhaven but I've never had a problem with Falls Creek Sports hire near the main access lift under St Falls or in The Bowl.

20. Marsh123

Marsh123 Hard Yards

Hi All,
    Just an update to all, we've booked Kilimanjaro - 3 storey apartment with beds for 9.

Will post a mini review after our stay.

21. Apresski

The lovely Marnie Searles

22. Hully

Hully One of Us

Groovy baby.....gotta love Kilimanjaro with Marnie and JJ. Be prepared, you are entering Hot Tub Time Machine territory. :cheers:

wannaski and Apresski like this.
  23. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

What was the cost in the end for the 2 nights for 9 people?

24. Marsh123

Marsh123 Hard Yards

came to 2200 overall

25. Darktorana

Darktorana First Runs

I booked Falls Creek Country Club for 10, 3 rooms (two rooms of 4 and one room of 2). I think the total coast was $2,200 as well. Be interested to see how your stay goes.

26. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

central snowsports at winterhaven for ski hire if you want to hire on mountain.

most of the places in mt beauty target the budget market, but the new owner of kiewa valley ski hire (on the right just past the servo/bus station) is offering a higher range too, and DPS demos when there is more snow. they have an arrangement with an on mountain shop if you need help

27. Hully

Hully One of Us

Don't drive via Bright! Quicker and easier to follow the signs turning off the Great Alpine Road at Ovens (just past Myrtleford) - Falls Creek via Mt Beauty. If travelling later on Friday night don't count on getting fuel at Mt Beauty. Fill up at Myrtleford, this is particularly important if any diesel vehicles in the convoy. Caltex on the right as you head out of Myrtleford has 24hr fuel (and Alpine diesel).

28. marc8888

marc8888 First Runs

Your best option for group accommodation in Falls Creek will be Fallscreekcountryclub.com.au
    They have a range of rooms that can sleep 10, plus they're a ski in ski out accommodation so that helps.

29. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

If you want a decent range of demo skis - try Koki. Delivered to your door too.

30. Marsh123

Marsh123 Hard Yards

Ok, so... the first load of us arrived at Falls around 8.30pm and Jay Jay was very kind to come down and meet us behind QT falls to help us get our gear up to the room on his snow mobile with trailer. On the way up he showed us the places along the way we could eat at and drink at and where the stairs were to walk up since we'd never been at Falls previously. The apartment was great, all linen supplied, including towels and pillows. The apartment had a full kitchen with plenty of cutlery, plates, cups etc which made life easier for the 9 of us. They also had an xbox in the living area, and one of the bedrooms with a HD TV and a portable HD with a whole bunch of movies to watch. The apartment also had a storage room with a heater to dry all of the wet gear and racks at the entrance to safely store skis and boards which was great. The rest of the group arrived later that night and when we were all in the living area it felt very cosy and tight, but worked well.

Saturday was all day skiing / snowboarding and we eventually worked out how to ski in through Orys and skiing out was a short walk down the street to where there's a point where you drop down into the street below and then ski to FX, other wise you had to take the stairs to the street below which can be tiring with ski boots. I didn't eat out, some of the others did, but Kilimanjaro was in a good location and seemed to be central to a lot of nearby places to eat. Koki rentals was a few doors down but we ended up getting gear in Myrtleford so didnt need anything from there. When checking out on the Sunday, Jay Jay helped us transport all of our bags back down to near the carpark where we loaded everything up and then went back up and hit some more runs until the mid afternoon.

Overall I thought Kilimanjaro was a great place to stay, near FX, ski in ski out, good amenities and comfortable, would definitely recommend it as an option for those looking for something in that price bracket and close to FX.

Towie97, travelislife, Hully and 2 others like this.
  31. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Thanks for the update Marsh. I'm considering booking another weekend, this time at Koki. Bit of a drive but working out the logistics of leaving after a school function & overnighting closer to Albury.