1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Accommodation in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Sandy, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Note: This conversation thread was first posted 2006. Prices will have changed.

———————

Part 1

Toyoko Inn at Shinjuku:
    $80 single room, $102 for a double room, $138 for a deluxe double room (per room)
    I wandered down there yesterday.
    http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00078/index.html

The price is good, and it looks like quite a reasonable place. The location is good, with certain reservations.
    It is in the heart of Kabukicho (the nightlife district of Shinjuku), so there are a gaggle of bars, clubs, and more seedy places all within walking distance. So from that point of view, it's a good location. There seem to be a lot of Gaijin(foreigners) staying there, which is often a good sign.
    It is 9-11 minutes walk from JR Shinjuku station(Studio Alta/Kabukucho/North East exit) depending on the lights(two sets). It took me 9 minutes. I think with gear, it would be a bit of a pest to find at night. Once there, it's not too bad.

The Star Hotel Shinjuku:
    http://www.starhotel.co.jp/city/tokyo/guest/e-standard.html

The Star Hotel is a bit more expensive, (around $145 a double) but it's close to Shinjuku Station, at 4-5 minutes Studio Alta/Kabukucho/North East exit. It's also easy to find from the map, or I can post some directions.

In fact, I'd say if you were catching the highway bus to Hakuba (8500yen return), or the Azusa Express, this would be an ideal location, as you can just about SEE the buses from the hotel.

#1 Sandy, Dec 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2019
    Annabuzzy likes this.
  2. Rover

Rover One of Us

another good one that I have stayed at is Hotel Tateshina in Shinjuku. Small rooms about 5-10 min walk from Studio Alta/nth east exit of station. Pretty easy to find with the right directions.
    Rates vary a little bit depending on when you stay...similar rates to Toyoko.
    http://tateshina.co.jp/eindex.htm

#2 Rover, Dec 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  3. phall

phall Hard Yards

Sandy, that link to the Star Hotel Shinjuku is not working - says the hotel is not available?

4. Mark102

Mark102 A Local

:cheers:

This could be a dumb question but does the train from Hakuba stop at that station and can you easily get to the airport from there?

#4 Mark102, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  5. Sandy

#5 Sandy, Dec 21, 2006
  6. Sandy

The JR Super Azusa Express trains leave from Shinkuju, so it's ideal. But I think I already said that [​IMG]

Just be aware that only a few Super Azusa in the morning travel direct to Hakuba, while most stop at Matsumoto, and you need to catch other trains from there.

As I mentioned before, you can catch a bus from Shinjuku to Hakuba. There's one that leaves at 3:30pm gets to Hakuba at 8pm. (4hours 30 min)
    The Super Azusa generally takes about the same but costs 16,140yen return, while the bus is 8,500 yen return.

And Shinjuku is easy to get to and from Narita airport, just take the right Narita Express bound for Shinjuku. (there are two routes the Narita Express takes, both go through Tokyo, one then heads to Shinjuku, the other goes through Yokohama)

#6 Sandy, Dec 21, 2006
  7. Mark102

Mark102 A Local

Thanks a lot. I think I better get my act together and book my Tokyo accommodation soon.

8. TheYoungOnes

TheYoungOnes First Runs

How far and hard is it to get to the ski shop area/akihabara district? Thanks.

#8 TheYoungOnes, Jan 7, 2007
  9. Sandy

Shinjuku to Ochanomizu(ski shop area, see directions thread)) on the JR Sobu Chuo Line(yellow) 16 min.
    Akihabara is one stop further, or you can walk by folloing my map.

#9 Sandy, Jan 7, 2007
  10. jaebea

jaebea Hard Yards

I had a fairly good time at the Fukudaya (http://www.fukudaya.com) which is about 15 mins walk from Shibuya station. Cozy little place with all the amenities and close to the action. It says the doors close at midnight but you get given a code to access the hotel after hours.

Highly recommended.

11. Mark102

Mark102 A Local

I booked a night at the Toyoko Inn so I'll post how it is when I get back.

12. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We have just got our confirmation for the Shinjuku New City Hotel .

Double Room = $73 per person per night
    Triple Room = $62 per person per night

Bath in both rooms, breakfast included. Shuttle bus from Shinjuku Station every 20 mins.

#12 Doonks, Jan 11, 2007
  13. Sandy

Ok, I know exactly where that is. It's close to the government buildings (with free observation decks on 45th floor). It's NOT close to the station, but it would be a 5 minute ride in a taxi, late at night(660yen). When does the shuttle bus run until?

Shinjuku station is just past the far right of the map.

14. TheYoungOnes

TheYoungOnes First Runs

Here I am. The single room B is about 7100 yen. About 3m by 3.5m with bath/toilet with breakfast. A fair few Chinese but I haven't seen any white gaijin yet. The taxi from Shinjuku station is about 900y but the walk is about 10-15 min.

The hotel is just off the Hakubi-cho. I think its the night spot. Very busy at 10pm. Only 1-2 min walk.

There're rooms with internet access, network cable, not sure whether its free. In the lobby access is free including wifi. I'm using a Dell Axim now so writing this is fairly slow but its b and I presume g speed.

#14 TheYoungOnes, Jan 13, 2007
  15. TheYoungOnes

TheYoungOnes First Runs

Oh, I had another look and the internet access in the room might be free, it says e-FREE.

Food nearby is about 800 yen. The beer from the machine in the lobby is from 150 yen.

Now to hike over to Akihabara. I think the day ticket for JR is 750 yen only. I'll check.

The bath/toilet is modular like in a plane - a capsule. The toilet shower is a very new experience. LOL.

16. TheYoungOnes

TheYoungOnes First Runs

Here I am. The single room B is about 7100 yen. About 3m by 3.5m with bath/toilet with breakfast. A fair few Chinese but I haven't seen any white gaijin yet. The taxi from Shinjuku station is about 900y but the walk is about 10-15 min.

The hotel is just off the Hakubi-cho. I think its the night spot. Very busy at 10pm. Only 1-2 min walk.

There're rooms with internet access, network cable, not sure whether its free. In the lobby access is free including wifi. I'm using a Dell Axim now so writing this is fairly slow but its b and I presume g speed.

#16 TheYoungOnes, Jan 13, 2007
  17. Sandy

I walked it in 9 min, but if you go to the Higashi-Shinjuku subway station on the Oedo Line, it's only 2-3 min. One stop to Shinjuku, 170yen.

It's actually Kabuki-cho.

#17 Sandy, Jan 13, 2007
  18. Sandy

The "Tokunai" day pass for Tokyo is 730yen. You have to get on and off the train about 5 times to make it worth your while.
    The ski shop area is also worth a visit. I may be in that area later today, but I will be there tomorrow afternoon.

#18 Sandy, Jan 13, 2007
  19. SnowYeti

SnowYeti One of Us

All the hotels listed are full. I'm looking for a place 9 Feb and 10 Feb (Twin Room). Any other ideas?

20. restoked

restoked First Runs

Yeti- we were thinking of actually staying in Narita & catching the train into Tokyo for a day . If accom that you want is not available THIS may be another option ???

21. stophski

stophski First Runs

#21 stophski, Jan 21, 2007
  22. Tim Craig

Tim Craig First Runs

A good place is K's House Backpackers in Asakusa.
    It is 2800 yen for bed in dorm or 3400 each for a twin room. Shared bathroom like all backpackers. Small rooms but brand new and friendly people.
    Internet and wireles/LAN in main area
    Very easy to get to from airport (Keisei Limited express = 1060yen)
    Close to cheap food and also Asakusa is an old area of tokyo with temples etc.
    Can't fault it for $35 aussie in Tokyo per night!!
    Easy subway connection to Shinjuku/Tokyo stations for trains to Hakuba

http://kshouse.jp/index_e.html

#22 Tim Craig, Jan 26, 2007
  23. SnowYeti

SnowYeti One of Us

I stayed at the Prince Hotel at Shinagawa. It's right across the road from the JR station. I liked it, and will stay there again. Very nice place, has a variety of accom styles. There is a Yahoo Internet cafe, will cost you 500 yen to buy an OJ or coke, and then you can use the net for as long as you want.

http://www.princehotelsjapan.com/shinagawaprincehotel/

2 nights - 2 people cost us about $400 total.
    Then I stayed on the last day of trip by myself, cost me $113.

Can book it easily on the net, and you have choice of executive tower or main tower (old) one.

#23 SnowYeti, Mar 7, 2007
  24. markopolo

markopolo Naughty Corner Resident Ski Pass: Gold

Any recommendations for a moderately expensive plACE, 3 nights, 2 adults, 2 teenage girls. Ease of access from airport the main priority.

25. minnie

minnie First Runs

We stayed at Shinjuku Washington with two teenagers in January - 4adults/3nights - around $850. Fairly 'European' in style, small rooms ( but that's fairly normal), huge breakfast buffet included and a 5-10 min walk in a straight line from the station. Looked at Century Southern Tower which is almost right beside station, bigger rooms, big windows but would have been $1200 for the 3nights. Very busy shopping area so good for teens.I think access from Shinjuku to Airport is fairly good. Booked through asiarooms.com - no problems!

26. krobbo

krobbo Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Minnie - was this price for 2 rooms per night?Hotel rooms in Tokyo only seem to fit up to 3 people per room so does a family of four need 2 rooms.

27. Mark102

Mark102 A Local

Whoops, I forgot to comment on the Toyoko Inn. I am not going to say how long it took me to get there from the bus stop as I had NFI and a couple of friendly locals who spoke English took me there when they could see I was lost. It would have been about 15 minutes away from the bus stop walking with a snowboard bag and a little bit closer from the train station. I would get a taxi if I had to do it again (for the first time) as my bag was very very heavy and I wouldn't get lost. The location is ok, bit dodgy but that doesn't worry me. The rooms were very small but clean enough. Free internet downstairs. Overall, a good place to stay if you want a cheap hotel room. Don't get conned into listening to what the massive black American guys around the area have to say. They won't leave you alone if you do.

#27 Mark102, Apr 20, 2007
  28. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Been a few years since anyone has made a post in this thread but I thought I'd just add our recent experience.

Booked an apartment in Tokyo through www.airbnb.com.au . Had a separate bedroom, lounge, kitchen, portable Wi-Fi and a 24hr supermarket at the base of the building. Was a great option for us travelling with two young kids. Quite a lot of Tokyo places available on the above website and the transaction went very smoothly dealing directly with the owner.

29. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Holy thread mining !

To add, the prince shinjinku had a special we took up last time, double room all up 120 Aussie. Big room, Los of space. Was on last minute iirc. North end quite long walk from south exit (doh) but close to good stuff.

30. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds great - got a direct link B2S?

31. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

#31 Born2ski, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  32. Research101

Research101 Hard Yards

Hi Guys
    stayed at Citadines in Shinjuku a couple of years back, good locale and good value

33. Stroven87

Stroven87 Hard Yards

I stayed at K's House. Its a hostel, but has private rooms. Very clean / Cheap / easy access to the tube etc
    http://kshouse.jp/tokyo-e/

34. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Citadines is getting more and more expensive , I don't stay there any more .

35. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

I'm looking for accom in Asakusa if anyone can help. Just one night, happy with up to AUD$200 if it's worth it. A Ryokan would be great, otherwise just a decent hotel room. I'm keen to head up the Skytree, visit Senso-Ji, do a river cruise maybe and whatever else anyone suggests might be really good. Will be Feb next year in-between Noz & Hakuba.

36. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

No need to pay $200. Don't know about places in Asakusa specifically but it is only about a half hour walk or a couple of metro stops from Ueno where there are plenty of reasonably priced hotels.

37. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Stayed at a couple of Richmonds in Japan. The Narita and Matsumoto hotels are both very good. Asakusa is probably on par although I haven't stayed there. It would come in under $200 I would think. Or you could stay in Ueno as Heinz suggested.

Scratch that - just checked their website and a double room is over $200. More exxy than Narita or Matsumoto that's for sure.

#37 PMG, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  38. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Toyoko Inn $104 pn twin, inc, basic breaky 3 min from ueno

39. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Toyoko is always a safe bet.

40. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

Thanks for the tips all. Have decided on the Richmond Asakusa, and happy to advise manage to get it for circa AUD$170 per night.

41. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

That's a better rate. Hopefully that included breakfast too.
    BTW If it's like other Richmonds payment will probably be by cc or cash at a machine in the lobby once you have checked in.

42. mannyk

Has anybody got thoughts on staying in Ikebukuro, We (2 couples) are spending 5 nights in Tokyo before we go home. Im more familiar with the Ueno area but finding it difficult to get 2 units close to each other. Found the Panda Club (sounds a bit gay) its close to the Otsuka station so should be easy to get around. It just seems a fair way out or am I just being picky.
    5 nights $573, per unit same floor. After 10 days living with each other I think its probably a good idea to have our own space in separate units.

43. Heinz

Never stayed there, usually stay in Ueno also. But if you are there for a few nights then you can send you ski gear to the airport, so luggage shouldn't be a factor. Generally I don't think it matters that much as long as you are close to metro and / or JR lines unless you intend being in other parts of the city after midnight.

44. mannyk

Thats what Im thinking, Main line is 5 min walk. Just never looked at the area when last there.

45. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Use airbnb and get a decent sized place

mannyk likes this.
  46. mannyk

What do you think, I m looking at this one because it looks a bit bigger than a shoe box, and has a separate bedroom.
    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/922458

47. Donza

Donza Pool Room

What time does your flight get in ?.. what budget ... its pretty mellow around that area of tokyo

48. mannyk

Were staying the 5 nights on the way home from the snow, so leaving on the 7ish J* flight home.
    Im not really looking to be out partying, more of a base for sightseeing as long as theres places to eat and drink nearby. A couple of Izakay's near by will do.
    Will have spent my money skiing and drinking for 10 days so spending as least amount as comfort allows.

49. Heinz

Anywhere near a railway station in Tokyo will have places to eat.