1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Accommodation in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Sandy, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, everybody has their preference. I seldom stay in town, but the few times I have done, my choice is Ikebukuro. A nice city area with lot of outdoor shops very close to the station (and easy for my go go to Saitama-ken), good place to pick up mountain maps.

For young people (just as 33 years ago) Shibuya is still one of the nice places. Keept my first bottle of whisky in a bar there. Nikka has improved since then - it was terrible staff at that time.:puke:

2. blutek

blutek One of Us

Stay away from bar touts.

Matthew Timmins and Hyst like this.
  3. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

IMO, stay near any big train station, have a good look around that area, spend less time travelling and more time looking where you already are. This will give you a good feel for Tokyo.

4. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Ikebukuro is a great area, we stayed close with airb&b. One of the bigger train stations.

5. mcguyver

mcguyver Hard Yards

HI all. My wife and I have a night in Tokyo on our ay to Nozawa Onsen in Feb. I'm keen to stay in a capsule hotel, just for the fun of it. My wife is not so keen, but would if we could stay together. Are there any capsule hotels that have double/ couple capsules? I am not having much luck finding any. Can find men only and women's only but no couples.

We have stayed in POD style hotels in NZ and UK before and its always good fun, so keen to try as capsule.

Any info much appreciated.

6. Pelm1

Pelm1 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

7. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Umm... no. they are segregated.
    I did it once as a novelty.... quite frankly, it's nothing special.

Go to a love hotel instead!!!!! Probably 8000yen for the two of you for a night.

Or if you're a real cheapskate, go to Big Echo Karaoke. If you get there at 11pm, they have a special 11pm -5am rate, which is about 2500yen each, one drink and and as much singing as you like!!! (the booths are warm and comfy enough to sleep, as I did once when I got stuck in Tokyo after a ski bus trip arrived late due to snow blocking the roads)

Ozgirl likes this.
  8. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

I can usually pick up one for 2500 so if I'm down in Tokyo for a night by myself it's good enough.

9. mcguyver

mcguyver Hard Yards

10. Pelm1

Pelm1 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Right click "translate to English"

11. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We finally booked our Tokyo accom...

I was really struggling to make a descision with this one!

I do love though that YK doesn't make me stick to a budget really. Especially when i explained the tendency for small beds etc.

On a recommendation from a friend we are now booked in to The B Akasaka. We were able to pre pay as well - which means you at least are locked in and know what the exchange was - verse being stuck with a widely different price on exchange (yeah yeah it might work out cheaper but it might not too!)

It was $370 for the 2 nights.

12. Kieran

Kieran A Local

Currently staying at the Ueno Youth Hostel. Not a bad option on a ski transit. Walking distance from Ueno/Keisei station, no dorm rooms (converted proper hotel), interesting neighbourhood and a good price. We're paying Y11K/night for a 4 bed room, with ensuite.

Donza likes this.
  13. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

Looking for where to stay in Tokyo for a night in February. Have a 1050am flight to catch from Haneda. Will be arriving the previous day from Myoko or Nagano, will want to get to accom and ditch luggage before heading out. Hoping to have from roughly midday till bedtime to go to Shibuya & Shinjuku etc Which it looks like we can access easily enough via JR east Yamanote line from Hamamatsucho. Based off the tokyo-haneda transport map found here http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2430.html and previous advice on this thread from @Sandy Thinking Hamamatsucho is the place to stay with its approx 20min Tokyo monorail ride to Haneda. (Want it to be fairly simple to get to the airport with boards/regular luggage etc in the morning)

Are there any obvious holes in my plan? Has anyone done similar recently?

Any advice/suggestions welcome. Thanks :)

14. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Assuming you are catching the Shinkansen from Nagano and getting the monorail to Haneda you will at some stage need to get from Ueno/Tokyo to Hamamatsucho most likely with the Yamanote line. From what I have experienced there is no problem with either the Shinkansen or the monorail with luggage, but the Yamanote line can be challenging in busy periods.

So I'd say it may be better to do that on the first day if you are arriving late morning and try and find a hotel somewhere close to Hamamatsucho station. You then have an easy transfer the next day on the monorail to the airport.

Also if you are on the Yamanote line it is then easy to get many other places like Shinjuku, Shibuya. You can also access the subway system.

What days of the week are we talking? If it is a weekend then there should be no issue in any case.

#314 Heinz, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Gamera MC likes this.
  15. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

Yes and yes, that plan is pretty much what i was trying to say above :thumbs:. Flight is on a Wednesday.

16. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

We are currently staying at a rather pleasant little hotel 5 minutes walk from both JR and Monorail Hamamatsucho stations. ART Hotels Hamamatsucho. From the North exit of either station you will come onto a main street, cross over at the traffic lights and head up the small lane way that has a Georgian style manor house (L'bright) on the left hand side. There are maps on the street that show the hotel's location too. Close to Daimon station too (Asakusa and Oedo lines).

Gamera MC likes this.
  17. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

18. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

If anyone still looking for accom for a family, I have just booked a deluxe quad room for Feb at Hotel View Asaskusa through Japanican (they are having a sale) for 84,000 yen for four nights (roughly $250 per night). I looked for ages and this seems like good value and location.

19. sbm

sbm One of Us

On the budget end, can also recommend Toco Tokyo Heritage Hostel, one train stop from Ueno.

20. TDS

TDS Hard Yards

Looking for something decent for 3 nights round feb 22-26, minus shibuya, what other districts are worth staying in? First time to japan!

21. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Shinjuku is pretty fun

Piste Again, Zimboo and TDS like this.
  22. Seemore

Seemore Hard Yards

Yeah really liked Shinjiku

23. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I actually like the pong.
    and Ueno

gibbsy likes this.
  24. planetfonz

planetfonz Hard Yards

We just stayed at Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku which was allright and nicely located

25. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

What is it with "pong" and nightlife activity? Few places I can think of. Some use ping "pong" balls as a prop during entertainment :confused:

26. TDS

TDS Hard Yards

Booked Shinkjuku, staying at the gracery!

27. Incider

Incider One of Us

Same here.

TDS likes this.
  28. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I booked the b akasaka

But starting to have buyers remorse.

Paid for it in advance already - however i can still cancel for a full refund. Might do a quick last minute search on the last day I can cancel and if i find something better/cheaper will do that.

I also might not bother LOL

29. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Lucky you! We couldn't do it with the kidlets in tow. It looks amazing.

TDS likes this.
  30. TDS

TDS Hard Yards

Counting down the days my friend! Starting to get real excited now.

31. markopolo

markopolo Naughty Corner Resident Ski Pass: Gold

If price doesn't worry you, Tokyo Station hotel is superb!

32. PatMcrotch

PatMcrotch First Runs

33. sbm

sbm One of Us

If the price does worry you, the Anne Hostel in Ryogoku was good at that price level. Rooms and bathrooms are spartan but the ground floor common area and kitchen were quite nice. Across the tracks from the Sumo stadium if you want to see that too.

34. pedub

pedub One of Us

Stayed in Airbnb on Yoyogi just 5-10 walk south of Shinjuku, fully recommend it.
    Easy trains to everywhere and shinjuku, harajuku and shibuya on foot.
    Seemed like there were a lot of Airbnb rentals all in the same building, spoke to 2 groups in other rooms and also saw 3 others rolling in with heaps of luggage looking around trying to figure the place out.

35. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Ahh the Japanese economy, just when something starts improving they will find a way to kill it. :(

That crackdown comes as Abe is trying to draw more tourists to boost the economy,
    and the nation prepares to host the Rugby World Cup in 2019 and the Olympics. His policies that have weakened the yen and the relaxing of visa requirements pushed tourists to a record 19.7 million last year from 8.4 million in 2012 -- and made Tokyo hotel occupancy rates tighter than Paris, Hong Kong or New York. The number of visitors will hit 35 million by 2020, according to an estimate by Goldman Sachs Group Inc.

[​IMG]

Ruling Liberal Democratic Party lawmaker Masaaki Taira acknowledges the new rules may create “severe restrictions” for hosts of the 26,000 properties in the country, but says the guidelines are a reflection of the competing interests of his constituency.

“The hotel industry had very serious concerns, so we set the minimum number of nights at a level that lowers the chances for competition,” said Taira, who was directly involved in drafting the government’s guidelines.

Competition is bad in Japan, must kill it........:rolleyes:

PatMcrotch and JoeKing like this.
  36. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I heard that Japanese government have finally decided to legitimate Airbnb because the number of foreign tourists to Japan keeps increasing rapidly and even Japanese business people struggle to book hotels in major cities like Tokyo and Osaka. They firstly said "Airbnb should be limited to people staying more than a week", then a few weeks ago, they started saying "If the real estate owners are living near the rooms, it's okay, legal" and now they say "let's make it completely legal". We need to wait for the official announcement, but I think they will make Airbnb more easily / simply available by 2020. Well, I should say "I hope", not I think:p

Japan has been by far the top performer since 3 years ago.
    [​IMG]

Today, JNTO(Japan National Tourism Organization) announced how many foreign people visited Japan last month (February 2016). 伸率 = Growth rate
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#336 Ramenman, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  37. Kieran

Kieran A Local

43% tourism growth is very impressive. No wonder it's stretching infrastructure!

Ramenman likes this.
  38. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Olympics.
    Tokyo will be forked without airbnb

Piste Again, Born2ski and Ramenman like this.
  39. rowsey85

rowsey85 Hard Yards

Second ks house stayed there twice good location and cheap

40. Zimboo

Zimboo A Local

Our son stayed at K's house last year with a couple of mates (think they shared a triple room?). He said it was great - really good value.

41. Tubby Beaver

Tubby Beaver Hard Yards

only really a problem in Roppongi and Kabuki-cho in Shinjuku.......if you happen to see these touts, most of whom are African.....you are probably in the wrong end of town anyway. ;)

42. RunDLC

RunDLC Hard Yards

Bit of a left field suggestion but it might interest someone. The real estate company I rented my place through also run a hybrid capsule / hotel / library place in Ikebukuro that looks pretty sweet! Probably not the place with lots of luggage or as a base, but for a unique short stay in Tokyo it might fit the bill for someone :) Place is called book and bed tokyo.

I can also recommend the area I'm living in (Kagurazaka) as a pretty awesome mix of old and new Japan. Not sure on hotels but its a sweet area with cool little streets of bars and restaurants!

43. Sandy

Your place would be about 1km from the start of the Toden-Arakawa street car terminal at Waseda?

I've stayed in a capsule hotel once, and the only thing to recommend those places is the novelty value if you have no baggage!!!!
    In fact, I'd be more inclined to stay at a karaoke place overnight (like Big Echo).... they have a special cheap rate from 11pm-5am, and you'd have room to bring in your bags!!!! ;)

44. RunDLC

RunDLC Hard Yards

I'm actually over by Ushigome Kagurazaka so a bit of a distance from Waseda station. Really happy with the area and my office is in Nihonbashi so an easy ride in on the chari :)

45. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

My mogul skier stayed in one last night. I am sure we will hear an opinion once he gets home. Considering he is not keen on onsen it will be interesting!

46. M_G

I've used them a few times when travelling by myself. Good value.

47. Sandy

But better value to stay at karaoke.... About 2500yen including a drink (and all the singing you want) ;)

48. M_G

Normally costs me about that for a capsule. Swings and roundabouts - bed is more comfortable and I get a sento.

49. Sandy

Much easier to find a Karaoke if you don't have access to the internet!!!!! :D ;)

50. M_G

Yes, and you could've told me this last time we had dinner. ;)