1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Accommodation suggestions - mid August

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by nezumi, Jun 10, 2020.

1. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

With the announcement that the Epic Aus Pass is going ahead, I now have to look at my plans and consider the options.

I am currently booked in at Perisher, taking my 4yo for a week from August 9 to 14 - but the primary reason for going to Perisher has gone as I am now 99% sure that even if the kids classes resume by then, snowboarding is off the cards.

So instead I am looking at going to Hotham, where ski school will cost a bit more, but the accommodation and travel should be far less.

So I am looking for suggestions on where to stay. It will either be just the two of us, or possibly his aunt also. I'm happy to share a bed with him (he usually climbs in with us anyway).

I'm currently paying around $1,900 for a fully catered stay in Perisher, so I'd rather not grab an apartment that's going to cost more than that just to stay slightly closer to Melbourne.

I am beyond sad the Gravbrot isn't operating, as that was where I was planning on going, but maybe another year.

Since I am hoping to have the little one in ski school, I'm guessing that I should look for somewhere near to the Big D?

2. Hot_ham on Rye

Hot_ham on Rye Hard Yards

I'd try Arlberg and personally negotiate with them as opposed to online booking.Close to the D and as an apartment with self contained facilities potentially less Corona risk

nezumi likes this.
  3. nezumi

With all the lodges staying shut this year, I ended up booking out an apartment at Fountains. Should be good.

4. Hot_ham on Rye

Hot_ham on Rye Hard Yards

Some nice apartments in Fountains,the valley facing ones are majestic and you will be a neighbor of Arlberg - have a great visit to Hotham !

5. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds like i should get onto some bookings for accom this year but maybe only for 2 or 3 peeps and at least get a toe in.. Long time hotham, family if 5, but only ever club lodges, usually in large multi family groups....sounds like none of thats gonna happen.

6. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

some club lodges are opening but by the time members get preference there may not be too many left for commercial guests

7. mr

Yeah ive heard informally the main one we have gone to isnt opening at all

8. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

We're going to have few gaps as school groups cancel. PM me for details as our website still has school groups locked in.

currawong likes this.
  9. nezumi

On the other hand, if you can get a whole lodge as a single group booking, you'll be laughing. :)

10. mr

Maybe.... although id have to put say $12k down and then hope i can get the posse, and then theres snow.....whereas normally we'd hunt around a bit, say hey look, theres a gap at players or pegasus or peninsula or valhalla or trapdoor or whatever 2nd week aug mon-fri , lets go for it and then each family does their own room booking individually and pays, and those that can only do 3 days or a long weekend or whatever we overlap.

nezumi likes this.