Actual REAL snow Conditions

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by kristo, Jul 19, 2017.

1. kristo

kristo Just Registered

Any educated estimate from someone who skied yesterday or today. How far away is the opening of the Interceptor Chair at Perisher . ie How much snow are we short , 50 cm, 30 cm?

Also same for the Dream Run at Thredbo ?

2. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Dream run has a decent amount of snow on it. One decent dump and it would be very much skiable. Indeed after a reported 30cm it may be good to go

3. kristo

kristo Just Registered

Thanks, Anna .
    Any other comments on this, as only HALF THE RUNS in Thredbo and Perisher are open at the moment, is it really that SHORT OF SNOW, it appears like we are a LEAST 50cm away from decent value conditions.

4. Tonester

Tonester Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

In my experience, when Spencer's Creek depth reaches 50+ cm, that's when most runs and trails become viable.
    Keep in mind, there would still be a lot of work to farm snow onto those access trails and runs at that depth, but doable in most instances.

5. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I skied all over Perisher on Friday and pretty much everything is open. Yeah I hit quite a few rocks as the cover is thin, but they're open. People were skiing Parachute, Outer Limits, Rock Garden, Kamikaze etc.

W0nkey D0nkey likes this.
  6. OlCol

OlCol New Member

This.
    At the time of your second post, Interceptor was open and we were skiing on up to 40cm of fresh in the trees until lifts closed. Then repeated on Thursday until 2. Was able to find fresh tracks every run. Snow depth and condition off piste was very good. The thin groomed trail down looked a bit thin in places and copped some heavy traffic, but not my thing.

7. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

In all fairness I tend to see lots of boosterism for resorts. Conditions are average to below average (at least before the last snowfall) but the way you read a lot of social media comments you'd think it was 3 foot of fresh powder. The resorts don't need to gild the lily when social media does it for them

8. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

The number of people I have spoken to on lifts that are frothing about the "powder" that was about on Friday is astounding. Luckily reflective goggles hide eye rolling. Yes it was natural snow, powder it was not.

9. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Active Member

Based on 35 years of skiing I would say that conditions are well below average snow cover for this date in July and the snow on Wednesday at Falls was wet new snow def not powder.
    Unfortunately the resorts are exaggerating so badly that even the punters wont believe them.
    I cant understand how the ABC gives the resorts a free ride , maybe the presenters get free lift tickets.

fmdc9 likes this.
  10. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Active Member

I'd say it's average for July.

Ski Patrol rate the conditions daily as per ASAA definitions and we repeat their rating. Not exaggerating - our latest social media photo of conditions today? Here you go...

[​IMG]

11. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

12. kristo

kristo Just Registered

Does anyone know why Dream Run, Glades , Lovers Leap etc are still CLOSED?

13. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Dream run was open for the last few days.

14. kristo

kristo Just Registered

Thanks climberman, I assume you are right, its just that all the websites are still reporting that these runs are Closed.