Adelaide to Dinner Plain Road Trip

Denw

First Runs
Jun 17, 2021
Hi All, I’ve just registered tonight so not sure if I’m posting in the right place. We’re doing our first road trip from Adelaide to Dinner Plain with 3 kids, 7 and 9 in July. Could anyone recommend where to stay on the way, looking for an overnight stop to break up the journey. We’re planning on leaving Adelaide very early morning. Just been looking through a few threads but they’re more about driving straight there. Thanks so much.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I can't speak from experience on the particular journey, but when we did a similar trip from Melbourne to Perisher we did about 80% of the driving on the first day, leaving a short drive on arrival day.

I'd recommend the same, which would put you around Wangaratta / Benalla for accommodation. Any closer to that and you will probably start paying the Snow Tax anyway.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Would kind of depend which route you plan to take ie through the outer burbs of Melbourne or a more northerly one (leave the highway at Horsham and then head east through st Arnaud, Bendigo, Rushworth, Violet town and then onto the Hume.

As nezumi suggests it also depends how close you want to get before you stop. Halfway ish of closer to give you a shorter drive up the mountain in the morning.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
most people come via Pinnaroo and the Murray Valley Hwy. Swan Hill might be too soon. Echuca could be good. Next major town is Shepperton which I would not recommend. Maybe Yarrawonga if you want a bit more distance. There are plenty of smaller town but less choice of eats, esp if late.

FatBoyDave

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2013
Melbourne
I can't advise on where is a good 1/2 way point but can offer some experience on where to stop.
- Milawa Dairy is a good spot to grab some cheese if that's your thing. Milawa mustards is also good.
- Bright has a huge kids playground behind the info centre to stretch the legs.
- Recommend getting groceries in Bright (if you have room in the car). Supermarkets at Dinner Plain have limited options.
- Hire chains at Hoys in Harrietville, if you need to fit them they have a fitting service (some ppor person waiting up in hte chain bay to help you out).

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
If you make it to Bright I'd highly rec staying there.

Reactions: nezumi

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
I can't advise on where is a good 1/2 way point but can offer some experience on where to stop.
- Milawa Dairy is a good spot to grab some cheese if that's your thing. Milawa mustards is also good.
- Bright has a huge kids playground behind the info centre to stretch the legs.
- Recommend getting groceries in Bright (if you have room in the car). Supermarkets at Dinner Plain have limited options.
- Hire chains at Hoys in Harrietville, if you need to fit them they have a fitting service (some ppor person waiting up in hte chain bay to help you out).
Absolutely this^

FatBoyDave

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2013
Melbourne
Have stayed a few times at different Caravan parks in Bright in one of the onsite Cabins.
They are really nicely decked out with split system heating, kitchen, tv and ensuite
Not that expensive either and generally a nicer option than a hotel room.

I should also add if you can make it to Bright then it is only 60-90 minutes (weather dependent) to the top of Hotham, with Dinner Plain a further 12km down the road from there.
Gives you time to do some grocery shopping, pickup hire chains, etc...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Would not wish on anyone
I did randomly find a very pleasant caravan park there one year when I felt like a shower on the Radelaide to Jindy journey which I normally do as a two day trip.

Otherwise the regular stopping point is a bivy next to the car next to a frog pond in a truck stop just short of Benalla, a hard core option with traffic noise and roolly cold wet nights.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I did randomly find a very pleasant caravan park there one year when I felt like a shower on the Radelaide to Jindy journey which I normally do as a two day trip.

Otherwise the regular stopping point is a bivy next to the car next to a frog pond in a truck stop just short of Benalla, a hard core option with traffic noise and roolly cold wet nights.
I'd stop at Echuca or push on to Yarrawonga. (TBH we usually stop at swan hill with relos but I can understand that OP wants to cover more ground)
Shep is my least favourite place in Vic

Reactions: nezumi

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
wang would be ok if you are happy with the distance from Adelaide

recommend d'Amicos for eat-in or takeaway

Denw

First Runs
Jun 17, 2021
Thanks so much everyone, just chatting with hubby, trying to decide which way to go. You’ve all been very helpful.

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Thanks so much everyone, just chatting with hubby, trying to decide which way to go. You’ve all been very helpful.
Hi Denw and welcome to the forums,
assume you are driving up to Dinner plain and aware of chain requirements and the Hotham road ? You can rent them in many places including , bright harriettville etc

Denw

First Runs
Jun 17, 2021
Hi Denw and welcome to the forums,
assume you are driving up to Dinner plain and aware of chain requirements and the Hotham road ? You can rent them in many places including , bright harriettville etc
Hi, yes we’re driving and aware of the chains, thank you for mentioning it though.

Denw

First Runs
Jun 17, 2021
Hi, we’ve just been advised that snow chains cannot be fitted to the new Kia Carnival as the wheels are 19”. Has anyone had any experience with wheels this size?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
The issue is less likely to be the wheel size, but instead the amount of tyre on the wheel and the amount of clearance in the wheel well.

Looking at what I can find on the new Carnival, the sizing looks to be 235/55/R19, which is a reasonably meaty tyre. According to http://www.xswinter.com/pages/sizefinder.html this gives a chain size of 106 on their 16mm chain as the appropriate size.

Denw

First Runs
Jun 17, 2021
Thank you for your reply. We’re hoping we can get something fitted, otherwise we’ll have to bid it up the hill ☹️

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass