Question Advice for a season in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Maladjusted_vagabond, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Maladjusted_vagabond

Maladjusted_vagabond Active Member

Looking into doing the season somewhere on Hokkaido with my girlfriend. Just looking to see if anyone had any advice or experiences to share about jobs, accommodation etc. I've been to Niseko twice, and feel as though it is probably a good option but other resorts are not out of the question by any means.

2. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Are you planning on getting a visa? You should if you are intending to work.

3. Maladjusted_vagabond

Yeah thanks, we've done our homework on that side of things, just looking for general advice as to how things work in Japanese resorts. I understand the visas aren't a given but I would have thought having a job lined up would help with the process?

4. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

Oh there are lots of people that don't get visas and work. Then you are at the mercy of employers because you cannot complain about anything.

I think there is a Niseko/Kutchan job board.

Contact people that will need people for the types of jobs you want to do. Now would be a good time to start doing this for any that don't also have businesses in Aus (those ones may be a bit busy atm).

From what I have heard you will struggle to find affordable long term accommodation in Niseko this late.

5. Maladjusted_vagabond

I see... Do you have alternative suggestions? I'm assuming you have a connection to Myoko?

6. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

It is a TOTALLY different environment working for a Japanese employer. It's not a matter of being at the mercy of anyone , it's just a completely different mindset , and wages are nowhere near what you would get in Australia.

7. BobGnarly

BobGnarly Dedicated Member

People think Japan is Whistler, it's not.
    Locals are struggling for work so the chances of you taking said job is next to zero especially if you can't follow orders in Japanese.
    Unless you have a job lined up with a foreigner forget it. Work in AU, ride in Japan

freddy likes this.
  8. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu Active Member

This is the board that skichanger alluded to:

http://niseko.jaga.io/

Given that the bloke who owns Inski is using it, this is likely to be a good place to start. Lots of jobs ads but also lots of people looking for season accommodation as well. All the advice on this thread is good advice. Your best bet re accommodation is probably staff accommodation. This can be variable depending what you are looking for in terms of experience and your desired financial outcome.

9. blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

Monty's is advertising (above link), could be worth enquiring.

10. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

If you can get work, get a visa and get accomodation then it's well worth doing. Yes accomodation is getting harder because the rough seasonaire a com is slowly being replaced by shops/fancy accom and restaurants but if you get a job they can probably help point you in the direction of accom in the village or kutchan.

11. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

Yeah I have a lodge in Myoko. PM me with some details if you are interested in that area. There are few western businesses in the area. And some of the Japanese hotels employ an English speaker. But for those places it would be wise to also have some Japanese.

12. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

From personal experience, id just save up a heap of money and go for a long holiday. Most western lodges work your ass off and you get more time riding on holiday.

13. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

That may be your experience but it is not the experience everyone has. I know lots of people who have a great work/play balance when they do a season in Japan.

Mike Pow likes this.
  14. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I would say the opposite ...... it's the Japanese lodges where a lot is expected .

skichanger likes this.
  15. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

As an example, in one place at Hakuba, most of the staff tend to get their work out of the way by 11am, many of them working again by 4-5pm, so they have a lot of day time hours available

16. Maladjusted_vagabond

Thanks @skichanger, but like you say our lack of Japanese would set us back outside the super western-friendly places like Niseko.

And thanks everyone for your advice, we've been contacting employers and my girlfriend already has a skype interview, so we're cautiously optimistic at this stage.

skichanger and LMB like this.
  17. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

Out of work at 11 in hakuba would be good if you were close to Happo. if you have to take a bus, its not very early at all, its realistically 3-4 hours riding and not much pow..

18. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete New Member

Just need to know where to go - plenty pow still there to be had well after 11 if you know where to go - its not Niseko

Realistically if you are working in an accommodation role getting 1st tracks in the peak season will be near impossible as guests need to be fed breakfast transported rooms made up etc etc

Want to ride the best conditions? Get a job that starts in the afternoon or evening

That's why I bought a bar ;)

LMB likes this.
  19. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

Funny i used to work in your bar ;)

Lucky Pete and LMB like this.
  20. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Small world !!!

21. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Riding Happo after 11am is about the worst thing you can do in Hakuba.

22. Sandy

Well, usually every man and his dog go to Cortina on a "powder day", which gets trashed by 10:00am.... so I always go somewhere else.... and find in bounds powder until 2-3pm. :D

skichanger likes this.
  23. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

Not really. I setup the bar and the dickheads that sold it to pete short changed me ;)

24. M_G

M_G Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

So that's why he's 'Lucky' Pete? ;)

Re work conditions - one thing in certain in Japan - ESID. If employer and employee expectations don't match up it won't be a happy time, regardless of being foreign or local.

expatgm likes this.
  25. Lauren Hawthorn

Lauren Hawthorn Just Registered

@Maladjusted_vagabond i'm interested to hear whether you worked this season in Japan? and if so how did it go?

My boyfriend and I are doing a season in NZ (2016) and then really hoping to do one in Japan (2016/17). Theres not as much info online about doing a ski season in Japan as for canada etc but what i've found so far makes me question whether to go the WHV way or try save enough for a long holiday. I'm worried about getting the WH visa and then securing a job that will allow a worthwhile amount of time on the hill.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

26. April

April Just Registered

Hi Lauren,

Did you ever do a season in Japan? I am planning on this coming season

27. Drifter210

Drifter210 Just Registered

Hey just wondering if you have made any progress on your Japan plans? My girlfriend and I are planning a four month stay from January onwards however finding a suitable/affordable long term place to stay seems to be a stumbling block at the minute...

28. Sandy

Is that working holiday or just visitor status? (I'm guessing the latter?)
    With four months, you will need to leave Japan sometime around the middle.

29. Drifter210

Drifter210 Just Registered

Hi Sandy,

Our plan was to obtain the Working Holiday Visa anyway with view to picking up some part time work while we are out there to boost our finances (we plan to save enough money beforehand for our trip). Assuming your mean that if we didn't have the WHV the visitor visa would only allow us to stay for a limited period (i.e. shorter than 4 months). I think being from the UK we are able to extend this though.

30. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

Aussies get 90 days as a tourist without a visa. Many who want to stay longer do a quick trip to Korea near the end of their 90 days to renew the visa exempt status. I have had guests do this and they had no problems. The comment was that if you were western the Japanese immigration people had no real interest in looking closer at you.