1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for a two week trip in August 2018

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by fenrir, Nov 22, 2017.

1. fenrir

fenrir One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I was looking to do something a bit different this winter and try out the ski fields on the other side of the Tasman as a solo traveller. Trying to put together a trip for 10-12 days and I want to try a few of the different ski fields as economically as possible so which means early bird passes. My plan was to base out of Queenstown or Wanaka (partly because of the direct flights out of Melbourne) and bus up to the resorts.

Based on research I had hoped to pick up a couple of flexi passes - one for Coronet Peak/The Remarkables and one for Cardrona/Treble Cone. This year however the Cardrona and Treble Cone sites only show "multi passes" for one hill only which is disappointing as I like resorts with more vertical/longer runs. Do they normally release flexi passes later or is this offer gone for good?

Failing that does anyone have any suggestions/advice on how to cheaply string together 10-12 days on a couple of different hills in NZ - is Ruapehu a viable option instead?

2. Will_P

Will_P Hard Yards

I've done something like what you're planning the last few Winters, but with a backcountry trip inbetween. Do it, but forget the North. Spend 5 days skiing Coronet & the Remarks from Queenstown, take a day off to shift to Wanaka by bus, spend the next 5 days skiing TC and Cardrona, then bus from Wanaka to QT airport for your flight home. You're right, the TC website does imply that the flexi pass is for TC only, but I'd suggest sending them a quick email to ask. And if you're on a really tight budget, make sure you factor in the shuttle up the mountain each day - Coronet and the Remarks are something like $20, but TC and Cardrona are more like $35.

3. pedub

pedub One of Us

Ask them. Because I used my old "Onepass" card at both TC and Cardies this year.
    I even used a Cardrona card at TC no problem.
    That was for a day pass at the booth, not sure about the multi-day passes.

Possibly hire a car for the Wanaka part of the trip???
    A 2wd with chains could do the job... unless its a really big snow day.
    And if you have a car.... I recommend a trip to Ohau (if you like a little hiking and skiing in a big open bowl)

P.S. For long runs go TC or Remarks I think

4. Dumph

Dumph Hard Yards

TC has put it's day passes up to $135 not sure if they will be sharing a one pass with Cardies at that price. F****ing rip off.

5. pedub

pedub One of Us

Wtf! That's unbelievable! Time to finally get that splitboard...

blowfin likes this.
  6. GlenH

GlenH One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Mt Ruapehu is a magnificant mountain but often has dreadful weather that can cost you one or up to several days skiing in a week, that's been our experience after skiing it 4 years consecutively from Oz.

Ohau is a fun place to try.

You don't have to hike once there, but the road is a bit 'interesting' until you get used to it.

The field is relatively small if you are accustomed to the larger Australian fields.

Well worth the drive from Wanaka though - just keep an eye on road conditions through the Lindis Pass.

7. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Don't forget the various resorts in Canterbury, which had an amazing snow season just gone. You need to have your own wheels for them, but you really need to have your own wheels anyway to properly experience skiing in NZ. Car hire is pretty cheap. You could do 5 days at the resorts within an 1hr-2hrs from Christchurch (5 or 6 different resorts) and then another 5 days down at the Lake Tekapo resorts (4 different ones). These mountains have cheaper lift tickets compared with the Queenstown and Wanaka fields.

soza and Budgiesmuggler like this.
  8. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

This

9. Snowdayyy

Snowdayyy Hard Yards

Hey, are you still planning to go August 2018? I have uni holidays from 8 August to 20 August and am planning to snowboard, my plan was 3 days living in Wanaka to snowboard in Cardrona (will probably have to use shuttle bus which is $35 a day, hence only the 3 days) and then move to Queenstown for the rest of the days for CP and Remarkables. I'm looking to split an nice cabin or something as well but I don't know anyone else who's going so if you are, maybe we could split accom. costs?