1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Buller blue runs for a Sydney skier

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by Ramshead, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Hey all. This here NSWelshie, who usually sneers at your so-called Victorian snowfields, is lucky enough to be heading to Buller at the end of the week from about the 13th onwards for a few days. Am massively looking forward to it.

I'll be coming with my wife and two kids, one a genuine intermediate, the other a lower intermediate who has mainly skied in spring and is therefore mostly unfamiliar with the concept of ice. My question is, what are some nice blue runs that are on the lighter side of blue for the little guys?

I skied Buller once 20 years ago, fortunately in good snow, and remember fondly runs like Dam run, runs on skier's right of the summit chair, Grimus etc, which I'd class as genuine blues. As mentioned I'm looking for some paler blues more on the green side to ease the kids in. I'm thinking Bonza, Shakey Knees, maybe a bit of Kofflers, LBS/Wombat and thereabouts. Anything I'm missing?

Also, if it is icy, and here's hoping enough snow falls this week to negate that, but if it is icy, what's the tip for runs that stay softer for longer? Time of day advice would be appreciated on this subject too.

Cheers all. Really looking forward both to coming and your responses.

2. BWG

BWG Hard Yards

Hi Ramshead - I'll be there then as well (SA interschools is on, so some of my time will be stuck in the event office, but I'm planning on getting out there and most likely on the runs you are talking about) My go to blue "practice" run is Shaky Knees although it has also gotten a bit popular with ski school! Burnt Hut/Bonza, Skyline (if they are OK with a TBar) Family Run (the Kofflers area) and maybe skiers' left of Summit chair. I'm staying at Enzian so I'll probably toddle around on Chamois as well (to mid station) but that might depend on snow conditions. Buller's problem tends to be more that runs get too soft too quickly and I'm not usually up and about early when its likely to be icy so I'm not much use here.

3. BigA

BigA Hard Yards

I take my kids + family up to Buller whenever we can actually get a spot in our timeshare (thankfully got a week in August this year !!) ;) For us on the first day we do an hour or so of Bourke st to get back into it, gauge the conditions and then head straight over to Standard. It's a pretty easy blue run and is easy enough to get back up the top via Bull Run. So if they find that too difficult they can come straight back down Bourke St but if its too easy it gives you the option of heading up a chair lift and coming back down Little Buller Spur and the like which is a more **blue** run we've found. Personally not a fan of the North side but then whenever I've been there the North side tended to be chopped out. These are just personal preferences but they work for us. Hope that helps !

4. boorsy

boorsy Hard Yards

If they are comfortable with a t-bar give skyline a bit of a run, a shorter run but one of the easier blues, and is surprisingly fun with a natural bank on the skiers left. Standard continues beyond skyline but has a couple of cat tracks and is a genuine blue but is good in crappy weather. LBS & Wombat are good long blue runs but can be rather crowded particularly on weekends. Family run is good. Depending how they are going, skiers left of summit is pretty forgiving but I would avoid if icy. On the north Shakey knees is good but again is short, bonza is a green but has a number of small blue "tracks" off to the sides and is a slightly quiter option than Burke st. If these are all to easy give dam run a go or the area around boggy creek. You will have a blast!

BigA likes this.
  5. BigA

BigA Hard Yards

I figured Standard to be an easy blue... WOOT !!! that means I must be getting better on the snowboard ;)

6. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

All lifts open this year so you have a pretty wide selection.
    Don't forget to grab a map with your ticket.

7. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Good feedback everybody. Really appreciate it. Looking at the trail map, I think standard could be fun as the kids would enjoy seeing all the black mogully stuff beneath them on the chair back up knowing they don't have to ski it :cheers:

8. DbSki

Id take them to LBS before Standard.
    The trails to and from standard are a bit long and narrow you have to ski back down Skyline from Bull Run chair.
    Wombat LBS is much wider in all respects and follows the lift line so its straight up and down and Family run nearby.
    Kofflers is closer so you can duck inside if the weather comes in or they get hungry and there is a toilet there, and a cafe down LBS they can get quick drinks and eats too.

9. boorsy

boorsy Hard Yards

It is but the cat tracks and chopped up moguls can become sketchy for newbies, don't want to throw unfamiliar kids into something they are not ready for!

BigA likes this.
  10. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

If you want to show them some steep stuff without them having to ski it, turn left at the bottom of LBS and ski down to the bottom of Federation (assuming it is open of course)!

11. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

Ah yes. Trail map tells this could be fun. Thx

12. djam

djam One of Us

standard is very icy today, but then so is LBS and Summit. The conditions affect the
    difficulty level quite a bit. One day they will have electronic signs that change based
    on conditions.

13. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

One day we'll all have jetpacks and flying cars, too.

BigA likes this.
  14. DbSki

Needs strobe beacon lamps at a few top stations above tree line so punters can see them through the thick fog and get some idea of which way they're heading.

15. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

^ ^ ^ A seriously good idea!

My first few Buller days were foggy and sometimes you'd have no idea at all where you were on those upper areas. I remember heading back down "Bourke Street" for lunch one day, only to find I was near the bottom of Skyline! It wasn't until I scored a few sunny days in a row that I managed to figure out where everything was. But, even so, a foggy day can still be confusing.

16. DbSki

They are cheap and would be easy to fit to the top of lift stations.

17. BigA

BigA Hard Yards

Yup fair enough.... I vaguely remember the first time the teenage boy and I hit the moguls.... Due to his not so stellar eyesight he hit the first lot at full tilt....The face plant was amusing to us but I can see how others may not see the funny side ;)

boorsy likes this.
  18. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Best times convincing chumps that skied whiskey creek that they can handle the run below them on the way back up, then leaving them behind.

Claude Cat likes this.
  19. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

That's just nasty!

BigA likes this.
  20. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

He said he'd had 3 lessons!

BigA likes this.
  21. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

hey Ramshead , as stated here run conditions can vary a lot with aspect, temp, overnight conditions , skier traffic etc ..
    For mine if the weather is nice ( big if) and vis is good then lower intermediate might mean ,
    summit lift , shakey knees ( emirates) , little buller spur, summit slide , wombat, standard

For lower intermediates the start of standard is a narrow trail with a lot of skiers , if its icey they could lose confidence pretty quickly, when it widens out its fine ..
    In the right visibility summit is great back down to the lift , they can go out wide left ( looking down the hill) which is less steeper line than straight down ...
    anyhoo im sure they will love it

22. rime noreason

rime noreason One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Ramshead, where you're staying might help decide where you start, too.

The northern slopes are better in the AM, and soften earlier. If you're day-tripping this would be the best initial option via the Horse Hill (now Northside Express) chair. Burnt Hut is great for beginners to low intermediates. Shakey Knees is also good, but if visibility is poor be aware the last little section gets suddenly a bit steeper for beginners.

The southern slopes are often a little icy early on. Skyline is an easy beginner but only has a T-bar. Standard continues down from Skyline and has a gentle but narrow initial section and can be icy. There's a 45 angle turning right halfway down where beginners might prefer to stay right, otherwise veering left has a slightly steeper mogul section. The paths then join up again after 50 metres. The Bull Run chair takes you back up.

Similarly Little Buller Spur/Wombat may be a bit of a challenge for beginners/low intermedes, particularly early when they're likely icy first up. They're steeper than Standard, but wider. Skiers left on Summit could be good when not icy, or as skimax says above, when not foggy.

Family Run isn't bad for beginners but has a slight incline halfway down that they'll need to hike up if they haven't gained enough speed prior.

Have fun, and great snow. :thumbs:

BigA likes this.
  23. Dave Clark

Dave Clark One of Us

Hi Ramshead. Lots of great feedback in this thread. Key points:

Southern slopes stay 'harder' longer but ice up less to begin with as they get less sun

Easier blue runs:
    • Top half of Chute / Boomerang to Koflers
    • Vista
    • Shakey Knees / Tirol / Home Trail
    • Summit

Gototakahashi likes this.